World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sterling plays ahead of Rashford and Vardy because of his understanding with Kane and the back 3. He's not doing well with the ball but his movement and understanding of the way England play gives more passing options to the rest of the team than Vardy would. 

Vardy is certainly a better striker but he's not as good at forcing teams to make a decision. Nearly all game Sterling and Kane were freeing each other up. We had so many chances to create great chances. That's promising imo. 

Sterling needs to improve but like a striker on a drought if you keep making the same runs and battling away then your touch will come back. Kane was wide open for an easy assist today but Sterling went alone. He's one pass from being a great player. I wouldn't give up on him

42 minutes ago, GadFly said:

Sterling is a crap striker. He scored a boat load of goals in the premier league yes, but he didn't do it as a striker. He did it playing out wide*. If he's not a striker then why are we playing him there? That miss when he was one on one with the keeper today absolutely epitomises Sterling, for me. 

World Cup final, it's 0-0 in the 90th minute... England are through, one on one with Courtois... who do you want that player to be, Vardy, Rashford... or Sterling? I'm saying Vardy all day every day. 

*Playing out wide... with Silva and De Bruyne putting the ball on his right foot 2 yards from an open net. Not some donkey like Henderson lumping it forward to him. 

If we get to the World Cup final and its 0-0 in the 90th minute, I'd say it would be fate for Sterling to burst clear score the winner...

Just now, maxjam said:

If we get to the World Cup final and its 0-0 in the 90th minute, I'd say it would be fate for Sterling to burst clear score the winner...

How would the media spin that into a negative?

Just now, Alpha said:

How would the media spin that into a negative?

'England fans go crazy as love rat Raheem Sterling, a young man that earns 200k a week but drives a filthy 50k mercedes, bundles ball over the line'

21 minutes ago, maxjam said:

"Money-grabbing bast**d denies heroic Prince Harry of Kane winning goal"

Well that was boring, gotta watch another 30 mins now ? if you offered me Croatia or Russia (in Russia) for a place in the World Cup final at the start of the tournament I'd have snapped your hand off.  Neither look scary, probably swaying towards Russia as Croatia do have players that can turn a match.  Well in theory they do.

8 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Croatia have struggled to get past Denmark, and now they're struggling with Russia. 

I'd still rather play Russia, but Croatia shouldn't hold that much fear either.

They look exhausted.

4 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

They're dropping like flies. If one of the Russkies could kick Modric 10 feet up in the air now, that would be great!

He needs a Colombian introduction. What a player. 

All this extra time is good. All this cramp and tight hamstrings. Nice careful start from England and take them past the hour mark before taking many risks might be a safe tactic

It's better if we play Croatia, avoids any dirty tricks in the Semi Final and especially the build up.

As for Sterling, as frustrating as he can be, it's useful to ask yourself whether the opposition would prefer he played or be left out. I'd wager that most opposition would choose for him to be left out.

20 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Croatia have struggled to get past Denmark, and now they're struggling with Russia. 

I'd still rather play Russia, but Croatia shouldn't hold that much fear either.

Croatia have quality, but why folks want to play Russia is madness to me.

You can't prepare for the extra energy, intensity and determination that comes with being at home at a World Cup. No team I want to avoid more, personally.

The Semi-Final will, rightly, be a very difficult game whoever gets through this. Looking likely to be Croatia as it stands though, so I'm happy.

3 minutes ago, Carnero said:

It's better if we play Croatia, avoids any dirty tricks in the Semi Final and especially the build up.

As for Sterling, as frustrating as he can be, it's useful to ask yourself whether the opposition would prefer he played or be left out. I'd wager that most opposition would choose for him to be left out.

Agree.

Sterling's been one of our better performers for me. It epitomizes fan's weird attitudes towards players (which we have to deal with a lot on here in relation to specific Derby players) that he's bottom of the BBC's ratings list every game - he's being doing his job perfectly bar the finishing, hence why he hasn't been dropped (rightly).

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

Agree.

Sterling's been one of our better performers for me. It epitomizes fan's weird attitudes towards players (which we have to deal with a lot on here in relation to specific Derby players) that he's bottom of the BBC's ratings list every game - he's being doing his job perfectly bar the finishing, hence why he hasn't been dropped (rightly).

Many fans don't seem to understand that there is a often a knock on effect to making unnecessary changes to a team.

Whilst Sterling may not be scoring, he is creating space for the likes of Kane, Dele & Lingard to thrive.

Swapping Sterling for Rashford/Kane may lead to an additional goal or two from that position, but may result in a decline in the numbers for Kane, etc.

I'm always of the opinion that when a team is winning you should leave well alone.

1 minute ago, Carnero said:

Many fans don't seem to understand that there is a often a knock on effect to making unnecessary changes to a team.

Whilst Sterling may not be scoring, he is creating space for the likes of Kane, Dele & Lingard to thrive.

Swapping Sterling for Rashford/Kane may lead to an additional goal or two from that position, but may result in a decline in the numbers for Kane, etc.

I'm always of the opinion that when a team is winning you should leave well alone.

Yes, it seems odd to say ‘we just won 2-0, but these players were a waste of space, so we should change it up for the next game.’

Archived