Pubs.

44 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

We might give that a go, as I like to go back to re-live my childhood around Bakewell now & then. I'll be going & sitting down by the river in the park and getting hammered on cheap cider next!

This was exactly my summers about 15 years ago. All meeting up at ‘The Bend’ in the summer and drinking Henry Weston’s 8.2% cider (3 for £5 at coop before someone finally noticed how dangerous that was)!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A place we went a couple of weeks ago (when it was warm) was the Lockkeepers Rest, Sawley. For those familiar with the area, it's about half a mile down the canal towpath from Sawley Bridge (accessed from Tamworth Road, between the canal and river bridges), just before you reach the footbridge back over the Trent. If it's nice on Sunday, we'll probably give it another visit, but first we will walk right down to Trent Lock and have one in the Steamboat (another canal-side pub) then backtrack to the Lockkeepers Rest.

34 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

This was exactly my summers about 15 years ago. All meeting up at ‘The Bend’ in the summer and drinking Henry Weston’s 8.2% cider (3 for £5 at coop before someone finally noticed how dangerous that was)!

Haha mine was getting on for 30 years ago. Some things never change.

• 1 month later...

Went camping outside of Sheen this weekend and walked to Longnor and back as I’d driven through recently and seen three pubs which I thought was a rarity nowerdays. Anyway, pitched tent and set off walking (if you like walks/views I can’t recommend the area itself enough, its much quiter than other Peak District routes and the scenery is stunning). We eventually get to Longnor to discover 2 of the 3 pubs have closed down! Anyway The Cheshire Cheese is a lovely old style of pub, friendly staff and locals too. It’s Robinson’s beer but was quite happy to drink Veltins.

Worth a trip if you are out there 

Joiner's Arms at Quarndon.

Might be old news for all you good Derby residing folk but I went for lunch last week with some work colleagues and it was bloody amazing.

Fab place. Fab food.

Pity I live at least 75 mins away.

2 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Joiner's Arms at Quarndon.

Might be old news for all you good Derby residing folk but I went for lunch last week with some work colleagues and it was bloody amazing.

Fab place. Fab food.

Pity I live at least 75 mins away.

Nice pub and food. Run by the same people who run the Bulls Head in Repton.

Archived