Pubs.

Sith Happens
18 hours ago, Lambchop said:

If you’re in Kilburn, I’d go to the Old Oak at Horsley Woodhouse. The Leadmill beers are decent, and it’s even better when they have the rurad bar open for guest ales and ciders out of the barrel. 

For a sit outside, I'd go to the Three Horseshoes at Morley. 

Last time I went in the Cricketers they were still smoking inside years after the ban.

Went in the Hunters Arms once, and they were showing embarrassing bodies on the big screen. I had to look at a giant deformed penis whilst I was waiting to be served.  

The Travellers is ok if you want to watch football on your own. 

I find there is a weird looking knob in most pubs you go in.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
18 hours ago, Lambchop said:

If you’re in Kilburn, I’d go to the Old Oak at Horsley Woodhouse. The Leadmill beers are decent, and it’s even better when they have the rurad bar open for guest ales and ciders out of the barrel. 

For a sit outside, I'd go to the Three Horseshoes at Morley. 

Last time I went in the Cricketers they were still smoking inside years after the ban.

Went in the Hunters Arms once, and they were showing embarrassing bodies on the big screen. I had to look at a giant deformed penis whilst I was waiting to be served.  

The Travellers is ok if you want to watch football on your own. 

Sadly the Hunters is right now the only pub in Kilburn, but its actually a decent pub. 

The last attempt as a pub for the cricketers was when someone decided to rename it and make it a fine dining establishment, was a shocking place.

On 27/05/2018 at 11:29, Shuff264 said:

A few excellent ones near me in South Derbyshire

The Dragon, Wilington

The Boot, Repton

Bulls Head, Repton

This brings back memories from well over 30 years ago when I still lived in the area.

The Boot used to have a lovely old bar billiards table with mushroom-shaped skittles in front of the holes. Is it still there?

We also used to play darts in the Staff of Life at Ticknall. A mate of mine once accidentally pooed himself there while taking aim at the dartboard and had to be driven home.

36 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

A mate of mine once accidentally pooed himself there while taking aim at the dartboard and had to be driven home.

We’ve all been there. 

Ticknell, that is.

1 hour ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

This brings back memories from well over 30 years ago when I still lived in the area.

The Boot used to have a lovely old bar billiards table with mushroom-shaped skittles in front of the holes. Is it still there?

We also used to play darts in the Staff of Life at Ticknall. A mate of mine once accidentally pooed himself there while taking aim at the dartboard and had to be driven home.

Boot has changed massively, went out of business completely few years ago but has since been bought by the same company that owns Dragon.

Much more high end place now with food and its own micro brewery! 

On 27/05/2018 at 10:04, Lambchop said:

Anyone a fan of the Barley Mow at Bonsall? 

It was my local for twenty years, but a lot of the regulars from those days here died or moved on.

I don’t like the changes to the decor; fake brick wallpaper in an old store pub, and bistro type chairs and tables instead of the old comfy seats, but it’s still good for music and films. 

The beer used to superb, with plenty of variation, but has dipped slightly with the change of landlord. They still have regular beer festivals and are starting their own brewery, so hopefully that’ll work out well. 

Used to go every month or two for years but havent been for a long long time. At least 10 years.

28 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

I’ve probably seen you then. I was in most nights in the 90s. 

We mainly used to go in summer and sit outside but yes in the winter months I would imagine so. I was the George Clooney look a like in the Ferrari. Or the George off Rainbow look a like in the Fiesta.

21 minutes ago, sage said:

I was the George Clooney look a like in the Ferrari.

I knew it!

I was the Noomi Rapace lookalike in wellies, getting quietly pissed in the corner and reading a book. 

48 minutes ago, sage said:

We mainly used to go in summer and sit outside but yes in the winter months I would imagine so. I was the George Clooney look a like in the Ferrari. Or the George off Rainbow look a like in the Fiesta.

So when did you morph into a Mr Darcy lookalike? ?

11 hours ago, Shuff264 said:

Boot has changed massively, went out of business completely few years ago but has since been bought by the same company that owns Dragon.

Much more high end place now with food and its own micro brewery! 

Yeah they've all gone downhill.

• 11 months later...

Went through a years worth of threads to find this! Anyway...

In one thread it was mentioned about a micro pub opening in Bakewell*. Well it finally opened over the weekend and I popped in on my way home after work to check it out. Got to say it’s very very good, especially considering it was the opening weekend. There’s lots of local ales/craft at reasonable prices (Bakewell has been crying out for this for about a decade), plus the likes of Hawkshead and Cloudwater. I wouldn’t consider it a big deal anywhere else, but it’s well worth popping in if you are in the area. I’m considering heading back and doing a little Thornbridge Brewery Bar+ Bakewell crawl for the first time in a long time.

*Should say that I think it was mentioned on here that they’d met the couple who were going to run it and they were Derby fans. Sadly I’m not sure if that’s still the case as the people running it are the same who run The Dronfield Arms and The Beer House in Hunters Bar, Sheffield.

23 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Went through a years worth of threads to find this! Anyway...

In one thread it was mentioned about a micro pub opening in Bakewell*. Well it finally opened over the weekend and I popped in on my way home after work to check it out. Got to say it’s very very good, especially considering it was the opening weekend. There’s lots of local ales/craft at reasonable prices (Bakewell has been crying out for this for about a decade), plus the likes of Hawkshead and Cloudwater. I wouldn’t consider it a big deal anywhere else, but it’s well worth popping in if you are in the area. I’m considering heading back and doing a little Thornbridge Brewery Bar+ Bakewell crawl for the first time in a long time.

*Should say that I think it was mentioned on here that they’d met the couple who were going to run it and they were Derby fans. Sadly I’m not sure if that’s still the case as the people running it are the same who run The Dronfield Arms and The Beer House in Hunters Bar, Sheffield.

Whereabouts in Bakewell is it? Sounds good!

6 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Perfect - quite often camp at Greenhills, so it will have to be done!

Oh I know Greenhills well as I’ve done a bit of work around the place the last few years. Is the bar there good? Always said I’d pop in one time as they have Peak Ales on but haven’t done so yet 

5 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Oh I know Greenhills well as I’ve done a bit of work around the place the last few years. Is the bar there good? Always said I’d pop in one time as they have Peak Ales on but haven’t done so yet 

Yes - the real ale has always been nicely kept. Very friendly atmosphere, nice to sit out when the weather is warm and the kids can run riot ?

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

Yes - the real ale has always been nicely kept. Very friendly atmosphere, nice to sit out when the weather is warm and the kids can run riot ?

Ah that’s good to know, the set up there is really good and they always seem to be making improvements too. It’s an ideal location to get anywhere decent in the peaks, plus the highest populations of rabbits per square metre I think I’ve ever seen!

To get back on track, I believe the Peak Alss visitor centre is now open between Chatsworth and Baslow and has a bar connected to it? Again it’s probably worth a pop in if you are ever that way!

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

We might give that a go, as I like to go back to re-live my childhood around Bakewell now & then. I'll be going & sitting down by the river in the park and getting hammered on cheap cider next!

Archived