The Vegan Club are Recruiting

Day

I used to be a vegan. It was only for 2 years and it was 20 years ago - but i still like to tell people about it at every available opportunity.

Actually I was never a vegan, just a veggie - I'm prone to exaggeration. 

The main reason I was a veggie in my teens was because the chicks loved it! Chicks dig the compassionate veggie.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Maybe it's not as binary as being veggie or meat eater, but a spectrum into which we all fit?

It’s true, that. 

I became a vegetarian as a teenager because I liked animals, was squeamish about gristle and was just being awkward. 

These days I don’t often cook meat at home but generally order it when I’m eating out, which is a pretty non-binary state of affairs. 

The things which persuaded me to eat it again were Nietzsche and haggis. I’m still freaked out by gristle, but could eat black pudding all day. It’s a texture thing - can’t do egg custard either. 

5 hours ago, Lambchop said:

It’s true, that. 

I became a vegetarian as a teenager because I liked animals, was squeamish about gristle and was just being awkward. 

These days I don’t often cook meat at home but generally order it when I’m eating out, which is a pretty non-binary state of affairs. 

The things which persuaded me to eat it again were Nietzsche and haggis. I’m still freaked out by gristle, but could eat black pudding all day. It’s a texture thing - can’t do egg custard either. 

With you on egg custards, even though I’ve never tried one. Just the thought of cold set custard in a pastry case revolts me.

This might sound weird, but I don’t like meat that looks like the animal it’s from either. I’ll happily eat chicken breast for instance, but never the wing or leg, and a full bird roast is tricky when carving.

Same with fish, love it but can’t cope when it's served whole. It’s like it’s sad eye is looking up at me from the plate, imploring me to release it back to the water.

Even the little ones like Whitebait.

Congealed pigs blood, and minced pig in a casing of its own stomach presents no such problems!

Sith Happens
6 hours ago, reveldevil said:

With you on egg custards, even though I’ve never tried one. Just the thought of cold set custard in a pastry case revolts me.

This might sound weird, but I don’t like meat that looks like the animal it’s from either. I’ll happily eat chicken breast for instance, but never the wing or leg, and a full bird roast is tricky when carving.

Same with fish, love it but can’t cope when it's served whole. It’s like it’s sad eye is looking up at me from the plate, imploring me to release it back to the water.

Even the little ones like Whitebait.

Congealed pigs blood, and minced pig in a casing of its own stomach presents no such problems!

Cant imagine you would be doing it much of a favour after is been starved of oxygen, frozen and then deep fried mind.

8 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Just the thought of cold set custard in a pastry case revolts me.

Finally someone understands!

I get the gag reflex just thinking about the gloopy bits in trifle; the thought of engaging with it at the end of a spoon is bad enough, but actually putting it in my mouth would tip me over the edge. 

The best foods pre-veggie childhood were mince and sausages, with mashed potato and chips respectively, because they were universal in texture and didn’t fight back. The worst was whatever that meat it is that has tubes and gristle all over the place; by the time all that had been surgically removed it was stone cold. I know sausages are mainly hoof and eyelids and worse, but you can’t see it, so that’s ok. 

I can think of two events which triggered my meat rejection. One was a posh dinner do at some odious, snooty Aunt’s. There was gristle, and I ended up with a lump of it that I couldn’t swallow. I had to position it in such a way that I could speak without it showing, and then politely wait for a gap in the conversation so that I could ask to go to the toilet. Once released from the table, it was a slow and decorous walk to the bathroom before I could finally spit it out. The other was seeing the fresh carcass of a cow on a farm. I was on my bike and had to cycle through its blood to get back to the road. 

Vegetables don’t do that to you, apart from tomatoes which are poisonous, and celery, which isn’t even food. And tomatoes aren’t even vegetables, or something. 

As for veganism, life without cheese and booze wouldn’t be worth living. They do give up booze, don’t they?

On 11/05/2018 at 09:40, David said:

The first rule of Vegan Club is: Tell EVERYONE you’re a Vegan

The second rule of Vegan Club is: Tell EVERYONE you’re a Vegan.

Sorry did I say club? I meant cult, or am I being a cu..?

So you have gone from downing hairy pork scratchings and smashing kebabs to a life to tofu and beans, you have replaced peppa pig with parmela potatoes, nobody cares. 

I mean it, nobody cares, nobody cares how many vitamins and supplements you have to take for your body to function, you know damn well when you catch a whiff of a sizzling sausage you’re insides are drooling away urging you to send a Cumberland down the chute, because you’re a meat eater, it’s what we are, we eat meat. 

Deprive yourself in peace, I’m done with your hashtags and infographics trying to make me feel guilty for stuffing a chicken. 

Enough.

Its really not true that nobody cares.  I've had a number of people go out of their way to get into full blown rows with me when they find out I'm a vegan.  

On 11/05/2018 at 11:22, StivePesley said:

Vegans lost me when they tried to explain why we shouldn't eat honey.

Well a lot of the bees do die I believe.  But even if I was the biggest carnivore going I still wouldn't eat bee spit just as I wouldn't eat chicken periods. 

On 11/05/2018 at 11:26, RamLad1884 said:

What bothers me is the hypocrisy of vegans. While most cite animal rights and the environment being key factors in turning vegan, they will still watch TV, drive cars, use everyday items that will destroy the world. 

And have to use a lot of things that use animal products.  If you wanted to be truly vegan you'd live in the woods and eat berries.  I don't think its fair to call them a hypocrite because they still choose to live in civilised society.

The meat industry creates more pollution than transport does anyway doesn't it?  That's why I can be a dick so often.  I have vegan credit. 

13 hours ago, Lambchop said:

I get the gag reflex just thinking about the gloopy bits in trifle; the thought of engaging with it at the end of a spoon is bad enough, but actually putting it in my mouth would tip me over the edge. 

The best foods pre-veggie childhood were mince and sausages, with mashed potato and chips respectively, because they were universal in texture and didn’t fight back. The worst was whatever that meat it is that has tubes and gristle all over the place; by the time all that had been surgically removed it was stone cold. I know sausages are mainly hoof and eyelids and worse, but you can’t see it, so that’s ok. 

I can think of two events which triggered my meat rejection. One was a posh dinner do at some odious, snooty Aunt’s. There was gristle, and I ended up with a lump of it that I couldn’t swallow. I had to position it in such a way that I could speak without it showing, and then politely wait for a gap in the conversation so that I could ask to go to the toilet. Once released from the table, it was a slow and decorous walk to the bathroom before I could finally spit it out. The other was seeing the fresh carcass of a cow on a farm. I was on my bike and had to cycle through its blood to get back to the road. 

Vegetables don’t do that to you, apart from tomatoes which are poisonous, and celery, which isn’t even food. And tomatoes aren’t even vegetables, or something. 

As for veganism, life without cheese and booze wouldn’t be worth living. They do give up booze, don’t they?

Not that you can read this (or read at all) but no.  Although we have to check what we can have.  Most lager has fish bladders in it for instance.  

14 hours ago, Lambchop said:

I agree with almost none of this but it made me laugh so have a 'like' anyway. It reminds me of a mate's daughter (she's about 5 I'd guess) who still refuses to eat anything that is not brown or beige in colour. Her staples are fish fingers and chips - no sauce though as they don't appear to have introduced her to the wonders of HP. I tried going veggie when  I was about 14 but the weight was just falling off me so that experiment was aborted pretty sharpish. As for veganism, I'd sooner die than live a life without cheese. To be fair that kind of goes for bacon too.

6 hours ago, Lambchop said:

I love bacon but it has to be crispy, otherwise I’m wasting time removing blubber. 

I'm not in favour of capital punishment, but a spot of light disembowelment for anyone serving non-crispy bacon seems fair enough in my eyes.

9 hours ago, StringerBell said:

Its really not true that nobody cares.  I've had a number of people go out of their way to get into full blown rows with me when they find out I'm a vegan.  

Not sure that's true, never seen you mention you're a vegan on here until now.....

If you did live in a wood and eat berries wouldn’t that hinder the wild life? Them birds look forward to them berries.

You ought to live in a jungle.

Then if something eat you we could all chuckle.

?

1 hour ago, David said:

Not sure that's true, never seen you mention you're a vegan on here until now.....

I've brought it up from time to time, if its relevant to whatever we're talking about.  But I don't bring it up often on here or in day to day living.  The reason I usually bring it up is when people keep offering me food.  I mean I've had people be obnoxious about it out in 'real life' though, and I'm someone who doesn't mind a bit of banter about it.  A few times I can remember of when I was younger and went out a lot - 

I've had someone learn I'm a vegan then instantly look at my shoes to see if they're made of animal product (then begin to lie that they were when they weren't and go into a tirade about what a hypocrite I was)

A woman was constantly asking me to taste her beer at a beer festival to which I kept refusing.  It got to the point where it was awkward so I explained why I wasn't going to taste it.  Her other half instantly rounded on me when hearing this.

A farmer learned I was a vegan from some friends while he was in a takeaway and I sat in the car.  I could see him getting a bit animated and they say they had to talk him down from getting into a row with me as I was basically a threat to his livelihood.

I also saw a vegan friend at a house party reduced to tears (a bit pathetic on her part) after another guest wouldn't leave her alone about it.

There have been more but my memory is a bit hazy and come to think of it most of the people acting like this have had a drink.  Whilst I know the holier than thou vegan stereotype exists, there is still another side to the coin.

22 minutes ago, Boycie said:

If you did live in a wood and eat berries wouldn’t that hinder the wild life? Them birds look forward to them berries.

You ought to live in a jungle.

Then if something eat you we could all chuckle.

?

But I'd taste of berries.

I always thought people might reevaluate whether eating other animals is a good idea if we had to contend with raptors roaming the street on the way to work in the morning.  Its very easy for someone to be pro eating other animals when no animals are going to eat them.

Archived