RIP Arthur Stewart

Dordogne-Ram

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad to hear that. Arthur was a decent enough player,but I think getting up to pace was difficult for him. I can still see him sitting on the ball during breaks in play,to get a breather.RIP 

16 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

I liked Arthur.  Not greatly gifted but a grafter that always gave 100%. I think we signed him from Glentoran for about £10k as I recall 

Rip Arthur

Certainly right about Glentoran,and probably the fee. Big shame that he was so old when he tried to make the transition.Very well liked by the fans,but that's usually the case with 100%ers. When I first started watching,Jack had moved back from inside forward to wing back (in old currencies) and was past his best,but as a very young lad I could see how the fans warmed to him with 'Get em going,Jack'. During that Tim Ward era,Mick Hopkinson never quite cemented a regular place,but was always a favourite for his effort. I could then mention Billy Hodgson, and then later on Billy Hughes and Billy Caskey (no,that's not a mistake,because I often heard elements of the Popside encouraging him). 

Taking Jack out of the equation,because he was obviously a very good player before I saw him, Arthur was in some very good company there in players that heavily augmented their abilities with great effort. 

2 hours ago, ramblur said:

Certainly right about Glentoran,and probably the fee. Big shame that he was so old when he tried to make the transition.Very well liked by the fans,but that's usually the case with 100%ers. When I first started watching,Jack had moved back from inside forward to wing back (in old currencies) and was past his best,but as a very young lad I could see how the fans warmed to him with 'Get em going,Jack'. During that Tim Ward era,Mick Hopkinson never quite cemented a regular place,but was always a favourite for his effort. I could then mention Billy Hodgson, and then later on Billy Hughes and Billy Caskey (no,that's not a mistake,because I often heard elements of the Popside encouraging him). 

Taking Jack out of the equation,because he was obviously a very good player before I saw him, Arthur was in some very good company there in players that heavily augmented their abilities with great effort. 

Jack?

3 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

I am sure Jack Parry was a bit before Arthur Stewart but then again we are going back over 50 years as the memory is somewhat fuzzy now lol

I meant he was in good company with past favourites  with his 100% attitude.

Archived