PL/EFL Winter Break

Day

I was, and remain in favour of a winter break in the PL, but not in the Football league.

My chief reason is in the FL, 24 teams in a division represents between between 8 and 12 games more league games every season depending on which league you compare it to in europe.

When are you going to play these extra games? (Lets not forget in the case of the championship we already have 2 weeks off every international break.)

Get a maximum of 20 teams in each divison first (creata league 3 if we must) ... then we can BEGIN TO think about a winter break.

24 teams in a division is something which belongs to yesteryear, when we werent dealing with athletes, playing at such a pace, and we didnt have 25 men squads.

My 2nd gripe is the winter 3 week break in europe is only partly because of the cold weather conditions, freezing pitches etc.

As feburary can be just as cold if not colder than end of dec/beginning of Jan.

The real reason for it, is so that players can spend time the xmas hols with their families, wthout going to traning, staying overnight in hotels etc.

In many countris in europe I get the sense that they seem to care more about famly values, upbringing etc  and cherrish holidays as a time to be spend with them.

So by us having a WB in february, defeats the object of having one if you ask me!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Can't see the point of This? A break at Christmas to give the players time with their family would make sense but a break in Feb seems a bit daft.

hadnt read this, when i wrote my post. But yes thats what its supposed to be for.

11 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

It'll also give teams chance to nip over to foreign parts to play in some meaningless friendly round-robin tournaments.

In countries which have a 3 week winter pause... the last week often sees friendlies taking place, to help with match fitness before the main league program starts again.. however, im pretty certain they tend to play local teams or at least teams in the same country. If EPL chose to play a match abroad it would represent only further how much they are only concerned with making a buck from the more lucrative foreign market.   

Big clubs don’t need a winter break. Their last fixture over the festive period happens around the 2nd of January and their next leage fixture doesn’t take place until two weeks after.

The only fixture between that time frame is the 3rd round of the Fa Cup, where chances are teams have drawn lower league opposition.

The big clubs have such talent at their disposal they can send all their best players on holiday for 2 weeks. They field fringe players and youth and they still have enough to navigate themselves past a Yeovil Town or AFC Wimbledon.

If they really want to enforce change, either get rid of the Carabao Cup which serves little purpose for the top teams or make FA Cup games one fixture only.

Or make just an FA Cup a two-legged tie and start from September/October like the Copa del Rey. Then lower league sides still get the financial benefits.

48 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

If they want a winter break start the season one week earlier and finish one week later. Simples

Murphy's law says the week after the break will be record bad weather and fixture congestion will still occur.

I’ve never understood why the Premier League starts a week later but still finishes a week later despite less fixtures.

Move The Charity Shield back a week, start the PL a week earlier, finish as they do now and you’ve got forty weeks for, at least, forty league and cup fixtures.

If a team in European competition made it to all three potential cup finals they would play 23 mid week fixtures in the above scenario.

If there is any scientific proof that it benefits anyone you could have the break between Boxing Day and 3rd Round day; having Good Friday and Easter Monday fixtures.

But that won’t happene because we all know anyway, let alone with its current suggested timing, that this break is solely to help Champions League teams.

No need for a winter break in PL unless you are one of the 6/7 teams in Europe.

Half the PL teams already out of the FA Cup will play next week but then have a THREE-WEEK break until March 31.

FA Cup quarter-final day (March 17) followed by international "friendly" break (March 24).

The schedule in the PL this season is cr*p....because of international breaks, only 12 games were played in the first 14 weeks before the next 10 matches were crammed into a period from November 26 - January 1....just 5 weeks and 1 day. 12 matches in 98 days followed by 10 matches in 36 days!

And then, the remaining 16 matches spread from January 13 until the middle of May.

Archived