Transfer policy

Rample

Just thinking people seem to criticise Rowett's transfer policy, and a lot jump in to say "don't bother he's 30+" but the lack of impact Lawrence has made, coupled with Wisdom struggling to cement a first team spot, especially when compared to some of the older lads, will probably influence his future transfers with us.

Both of those mentioned will come good I'm sure, but this is Derby and time/patience are uncommon.

He's never had the ability to spend millions on a youngster in previous jobs so in a way this must feel a bit like a failed experiment. I expect experienced budget signings from now on regardless of where we are next season unless we're looking at young free agents/loans.

Interesting to see what we bring in at right back and out wide in summer - whether Wisdom and Lawrence will be assumed first choice players, or players will be brought in ahead of them meaning they will be deemed squad players.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Rample said:

Interesting to see what we bring in at right back and out wide in summer - whether Wisdom and Lawrence will be assumed first choice players, or players will be brought in ahead of them meaning they will be deemed squad players.

I think that will be determined by their performances for the rest of this season. Wouldn't it be great if Lawrence could return to the level of form that made him stand out at Ipswich last year? I expect him to start tonight, so fingers crossed.

18 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

I think that will be determined by their performances for the rest of this season. Wouldn't it be great if Lawrence could return to the level of form that made him stand out at Ipswich last year? I expect him to start tonight, so fingers crossed.

I can see a very good player in Lawrence. I'm still very hopeful he will come good. As you say lets hope its tonight!

18 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

Your right about Lawrence would be great But unless he's given a bit more freedom we will never see the best of him His Ipswich goals were scored with this freedom from all over the pitch 

46 minutes ago, Rample said:

Just thinking people seem to criticise Rowett's transfer policy, and a lot jump in to say "don't bother he's 30+" but the lack of impact Lawrence has made, coupled with Wisdom struggling to cement a first team spot, especially when compared to some of the older lads, will probably influence his future transfers with us.

Both of those mentioned will come good I'm sure, but this is Derby and time/patience are uncommon.

He's never had the ability to spend millions on a youngster in previous jobs so in a way this must feel a bit like a failed experiment. I expect experienced budget signings from now on regardless of where we are next season unless we're looking at young free agents/loans.

I don't understand the stick for Lawrence. We've been successful with him in the team this season, simple as! When you look at the wide players, he's my first name on the team sheet. The other wing in my view is the issue. 

We as fans have widely differing moods and emotions depending on our view point.

One minute a player is the 'flavour of the month', he's great, fantastic, we can't do without him. Then next he is a 'waste of money', inconsistent and 'get him out of the team'.

We apparently take no account of possible injury's, loss of form and confidence.

Football is a team sport, where no one person, no matter how good he is can win or lose on his own.

I agree we as supporters are entitled to our opinions but do we really think it does anyone any good to get on individual's backs.

Ultimately, we all want the same thing success for DCFC.

So give the guy's a break, they have already achieved far more than we all thought at the beginning of the season.

2 hours ago, Rab a dab doo said:

We as fans have widely differing moods and emotions depending on our view point.

One minute a player is the 'flavour of the month', he's great, fantastic, we can't do without him. Then next he is a 'waste of money', inconsistent and 'get him out of the team'.

We apparently take no account of possible injury's, loss of form and confidence.

Football is a team sport, where no one person, no matter how good he is can win or lose on his own.

I agree we as supporters are entitled to our opinions but do we really think it does anyone any good to get on individual's backs.

Ultimately, we all want the same thing success for DCFC.

So give the guy's a break, they have already achieved far more than we all thought at the beginning of the season.

I totally agree with this.

but butterfield is still ****!! ??

Don’t think the success or lack of success of previous signings will affect Gary’s future calls. You sign players that are the most suited to the role, simple as that. Obviously you’d prefer younger players, especially in a situation like we’re in where we need to rebuild, but money often talks, and we don’t have much of it. Just cause Lawrence hasn’t been good enough yet doesn’t mean we won’t sign younger players, likewise the failures of camara shouldn’t stop us buying foreign talent, if properly scouted. 

Overall id say Gary’s signings have been pretty damn successful, much more than previous managers, it’s just what he’s brought in hasn’t quite been enough men, particularly in the forward areas, since we couldn’t shift the deadwood easily. Players like Davies, Huddlestone and ledley have been hugely dependable and added to the spine of the team, even players like windom have done well when called upon. What we didn’t do enough of was get players of that quality in the forward areas, particularly on the flanks. Lawrence hasn’t been good enough, and we haven’t adequately replaced players like Ince and Russell, and that’s why we will fail.

Think for this you would have to look at the depth of our scouting, we appear to limited to finding well known players, and then being unwilling to pay the going rate for them, leaving us short of creativity. We need to improve our youth scouting and foreign scouting to find those younger quality players to revolutionise our attack, and that would be my immediate focus in preparation to go again in the summer.

Archived