Steve McClaren quits Tel Aviv/Sheff Wed next manager?

Day

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Schteve has an excellent record with us, even if the team had a weak underbelly.

he didn't spend much in the first season: dawkins at 500k. Wisdom and thorne on loan in 2013-14. Ince on loan in 2014-15  plus christie @ 250k . Tje bigger fee spent on thorne was of no benefit that year. Mac2 made a big improvement, only signing nugent (due to the absence of chris martin).

he seems to have become increasingly unpopular since he left for no apparent reason. Same as nigel.

And paul  clement.

12 hours ago, Waffle said:

Should Mac drop a league or do you think an opportunity like Reading or Barnsley is where he should pitch himself. It must be a knock not being accepted for Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday

Suspect that, for him, a bigger part would be about the opportunities available within that squad. I.e: does the style fit, would he be a 'head coach' or a manager, does the club feel right.

I'm not sure that Leeds would've suited him. And I doubt that Bradford would. Not 100% on Barnsley. For me, the Reading job would be ideal. I think that he'd be happy to drop to L1 provided it was the 'right club'. That does sound like jargon, I know, but you do feel that this is last chance saloon for Steve - if his next job goes belly up I fail to see how he'd get another chance. So, he has to choose wisely.

2 hours ago, KentRam said:

Suspect that, for him, a bigger part would be about the opportunities available within that squad. I.e: does the style fit, would he be a 'head coach' or a manager, does the club feel right.

I'm not sure that Leeds would've suited him. And I doubt that Bradford would. Not 100% on Barnsley. For me, the Reading job would be ideal. I think that he'd be happy to drop to L1 provided it was the 'right club'. That does sound like jargon, I know, but you do feel that this is last chance saloon for Steve - if his next job goes belly up I fail to see how he'd get another chance. So, he has to choose wisely.

It does look as though Reading will sack Stam any day now, and then the dream team of Steve and Chrissy Martin can be reunited to take points off our rivals. I don't think he would drop lower than the Championship unless it's to complete the northeast treble and take over Sunderland when they're relegated.

Yeah Reading are going nowhere under Stam - actually that's not fair, they could keep faith and Stam could get them promoted next season - so this season anyway, they're going nowhere under Stam. So if they're getting nervous abput that bottom 3 - they'd be crazy not to bring in the instant Mcclaren impact! Chrissy will be like a pig in poo.

On 04/02/2018 at 05:57, RamNut said:

Schteve has an excellent record with us, even if the team had a weak underbelly.

he didn't spend much in the first season: dawkins at 500k. Wisdom and thorne on loan in 2013-14. Ince on loan in 2014-15  plus christie @ 250k . Tje bigger fee spent on thorne was of no benefit that year. Mac2 made a big improvement, only signing nugent (due to the absence of chris martin).

he seems to have become increasingly unpopular since he left for no apparent reason. Same as nigel.

And paul  clement.

he spent a lot... i remember thinkling cloughie wont be pleased to know how much the purse strings were loostened the minute mcclaren came in.

dawkins, wisdom bamford thorne

Ibe Lingaard, bent, ince

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

he spent a lot... i remember thinkling cloughie wont be pleased to know how much the purse strings were loostened the minute mcclaren came in.

dawkins, wisdom bamford thorne

Ibe Lingaard, bent, ince

Those are all loans, two of which were made permanent and you can argue Wembley paid for the 14/15 signings… 

Wisdom was also a favour to McClaren for letting Rodgers take sessions at Twente whilst he was out of work and his wages would have be subsidised by sending Adam Smith back…

Archived