Do we have any Guitar Players here?

DesertRam

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Hardwood Les Pauls are so heavy, I would get serious backache if I had to stand up playing one of them.

Mine is chambered and exactly 3kg, a mates got an LP studio from the late 80s and that's a bit over 4kg, pretty heavy if you are wearing it for a long time

• 4 months later...

Still going to be making guitars, fortunately. 

I’m surprised tbh, I thought the industry was healthy with so many smaller, quality makers about, but it’s a good ten years since I last bought a Gibson. 

• 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Blimey. What sort of whacked-out beauty to you make with that little lot?

It does get pretty trippy and heavy in places. The new board arrived today, so I can actually fit everything on. 

This is the old one:

A5D2B296-0149-43A8-820F-700D4DF70E7B.jpeg

I'm a multi instrumentalist,mostly for my own enjoyment.

I don't use a bow, don't enjoy mindless strumming, but love playing real music,mainly by picking and playing by ear or from sheet music. I have a Yamaha classical (bought in 1979). 

A Tanglewood 12 (acoustic but, like most of them, I can fit a pickup if I feel the need.

A cheap CB Sky electric guitar (I prefer acoustic so I'm easily pleased!)

An antique bowl backed mandolin.

A Yamaha guitalele tuned to E.*

A Mahalo guitalele tuned to G.*

* a six string cross between a guitar and Ukelele.

A Westfield five string banjo.

A 1920s banjolin. 8 string cross between a small banjo and a mandolin.

I have a Marshall and a practice amp and link my iPad using an irig (£4 on eBay) to them with the ampkit app.

PS I love my music and have a long-suffering wife!

3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Nice. (although I don't do Gibsons)

I've put P90s on it, so it is a single coil guitar. With the thin mahogany body it's the perfect balance, for me, between warmth and fatness and clarity and bite.

I've tried more or less everything over the years, and this just works. It's also pretty light, and the volume tapers work really well, which is important for me as I like to control the amount of drive from the guitar. 

I've had about five SGs, including vintage stuff, but this '61 reissue is the best I've played. I've played it virtually every day for the last fifteen years, so I don't think I'd be able to play anything else now. 

Archived