Bloated Squad

Dannyboz1884

2 minutes ago, Dannyboz1884 said:

You have picked 8 defenders, lets say we play a back 4 which we probably will we won't stick 4 defenders on the bench at most 2. 

Midfield area if we play 2 midfielders lets say Hudds and Johnson, that will leave Bryson, Butters and Thorne in reserve. Again at most you will probs put 2 midfielders on the bench. If we play three midfielders then we would probably be okay. 

By the way this isn't me having a go at your side 

Oh yeh - Realised you weren't having a go :)

I work on the assumption that at any one time at least one of our defenders will be injured - Currently Shackell - Then 2 make the bench - I would imagine Baird and Shackell will appreciate that they won't get as much game time this season as they might have before and would always aim for a CB and RB/LB on the bench

I think we'll play a more attacking 4-2-3-1 at home and a more 'defensive', pressing side away in a 4-3-3 - Hence keeping a bigger range of CM options

From that squad I would think that we could have that flexibility and still have the players to fit - Would imagine if getting rid of more then Butters and one of the wingers could go - Assuming that Hansen, Elsnik and Bennett would be able to step up from the u-23s for 'cover'

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Oh yeh - Realised you weren't having a go :)

I work on the assumption that at any one time at least one of our defenders will be injured - Currently Shackell - Then 2 make the bench - I would imagine Baird and Shackell will appreciate that they won't get as much game time this season as they might have before and would always aim for a CB and RB/LB on the bench

I think we'll play a more attacking 4-2-3-1 at home and a more 'defensive', pressing side away in a 4-3-3 - Hence keeping a bigger range of CM options

From that squad I would think that we could have that flexibility and still have the players to fit - Would imagine if getting rid of more then Butters and one of the wingers could go - Assuming that Hansen, Elsnik and Bennett would be able to step up from the u-23s for 'cover'

The only thing for me is there's no avenue for youth. I'd really like to see zanzala, elsnick, Lowe, McDonald, bird, Bennett etc getting time at least on the bench.

in a 433 or 4231 the forward and wide players need to be scoring goals. Anya just doesn't score so I don't see the point in him.

21 should be max for senior players and if we bring 2 in there's around 6 that need to go

22 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

The only thing for me is there's no avenue for youth. I'd really like to see zanzala, elsnick, Lowe, McDonald, bird, Bennett etc getting time at least on the bench.

in a 433 or 4231 the forward and wide players need to be scoring goals. Anya just doesn't score so I don't see the point in him.

21 should be max for senior players and if we bring 2 in there's around 6 that need to go

Agree on all points BUT requires a much bigger culling than it currently looks like we're going to get

And I usually go with 23 - 2 for each position and 3 keepers

The trouble is the squad is bloated but only when they're all fit which never seems to happen.

Currently we have long running fitness issues over Shackell, Bent, Thorne & Blackman, plus Fozzy back after 2 successive seasons out.

Take 4 of these out of the mix and all of a sudden the number of seniors is about right.

Not a senior, but the same doubts go with Lowe as we can't yet rely on him to be the backup thus Olsson stays.

11 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Agree on all points BUT requires a much bigger culling than it currently looks like we're going to get

And I usually go with 23 - 2 for each position and 3 keepers

I have more faith in some of our U23 players and believe they are better than some of our senior players

2 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

I have more faith in some of our U23 players and believe they are better than some of our senior players

It could be a decent shout - I have nothing to go on with most of our u-23s - I haven't seen enough of them

I like Hanson as a CM and would happily see him given a chance there - Lowe looks decent but unfortunately his injury record so far worries me - I like the look of Elsnik BUT given the chance I'd like to bring him in a little more in less high pressure games (Hughes for me is a rarity in terms of coming straight in and looking good under pressure) - Bennett is 50/50 for me as mostly he looks willing but unimpressive (like Anya) with the occasional glimpse of maybe something exciting (the Chelsea game a couple of years ago where he scared the hell out of an aging but still decent Ashely Cole)

Interesting that so many want to reduce the squad significantly whilst expect to be challenging this season......yet, in the past blame lack of cover for injured players or lack of options to change things as reasons for missing out on promotion....?

2 hours ago, Rich84 said:

Interesting that so many want to reduce the squad significantly whilst expect to be challenging this season......yet, in the past blame lack of cover for injured players or lack of options to change things as reasons for missing out on promotion....?

It's not the amount of players it's having the right players as cover. 21-23 is perfectly adequate with U23 players to come through 28/29 is way too much

Archived