Which Road Bike?

Gypsy Ram

Sold my Bianchi last year before stopping over at Dubai and Lebanon but now I am moving back to Southern Europe and ready to hit the road again. Looking for an all round bike that can handle anything, and I am torn between these two - I Just cant pick one. For the record, I don't have a car and I usually cycle daily for shopping, to commuting to long distance endurance and mountain climbing (it is virtually impossible to cycle in the last two countries I was in hence why i sold my last bike).

https://www.evanscycles.com/focus-paralane-105-2017-road-bike-EV308654#modal__finance-modal

https://www.evanscycles.com/bmc-roadmachine-rm02-105-2017-road-bike-EV277889

I know there are far wiser folk on this forum with biking knowledge and your input would be much appreciated. 

Gypo xx

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Can't resist... Have you tried a Boris? 

Only to bash Millwall fans around the head with.

EDIT: this comment is a joke and not to be taken seriously. Gypsy would never condone violence, especially against lovely Millwall folk.

7 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Only to bash Millwall fans around the head with.

EDIT: this comment is a joke and not to be taken seriously. Gypsy would never condone violence, especially against lovely Millwall folk.

Jeeeez they are expensive.. I am no expert but the first one for me.

7 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Jeeeez they are expensive.. I am no expert but the first one for me.

I don't have a car. The bike is the only thing I'll have for transport and no public transport overheads (compared for a year season ticket for London - still works out cheaper). I'm tilting towards the Paralane.

Met 6 cyclists in my local Cafe in Alhaurine on Sunday and in my broken Spanish found out they were planning on covering 150 km,climbing over 1000 m,5 of their  cycles looked like competition road racing bikes,the 6th one had very different tyres,very deep walls.Cycling here is a religion.

I'm assuming price is no object here, given the two bikes you're looking at. 

To be honest, there's not much to choose between them besides personal preference.

I would have to go for the Paralane. It seems to me that the BMC is better suited for pure speed and less useful for getting to and from the shops. The Paralane looks like it's more easily adjustable to specific needs (ie seat height). Plus I'm a sucker for green on bikes. 

If you're still struggling to choose, I'd recommend popping down to your local bike shop and giving them a test cycle, see which one you like the most. However, II'm not sure how feasible that is for you given you're constantly moving about.

Archived