how we do it

so Warnock's Cardiff trip up Wednesday in Sheffield next week - Fulham lose at Norwich and Huddersfield, Derby win every game till the end of the season including at Wednesday, then Chris Martin scores the winner at Wednesday for Fulham in the last minute of the last game of the season, sending Derby as the momentum team into the play offs.. 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

exactly. positive performances and a rowett installed bid for promotion next year. Who wants to sneak into the playoffs and win them this season anyway, while rowett is only just settling into the job.

not me.

??‍♂️ I'd still like us to win promotion this year even if we're not ready for the Prem. Is any team really ready when it gets out of the championship? Even Newcastle and Brighton will have to improve their squads. Benitez threw a wobbly in January because he felt he hadn't strengthened enough (admittedly he was probably thinking of only the Prem transfer window as being too much to improve sufficiently, thereby strengthening my argument ?). When we do get promotion, be it this year via the playoffs, next by either route, or in 5 years time, then we will have to buy big just to survive. The days of Clough taking teams out of the second division and having a squad good enough to challenge at the top of the table are long gone. So long as we are at least competitive then let's go for it as soon as possible. That said I do think that we've left it too late for this season.

13 hours ago, singaporeram said:

so Warnock's Cardiff trip up Wednesday in Sheffield next week - Fulham lose at Norwich and Huddersfield, Derby win every game till the end of the season including at Wednesday, then Chris Martin scores the winner at Wednesday for Fulham in the last minute of the last game of the season, sending Derby as the momentum team into the play offs.. 

This is good...

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

??‍♂️ I'd still like us to win promotion this year even if we're not ready for the Prem. Is any team really ready when it gets out of the championship? Even Newcastle and Brighton will have to improve their squads. Benitez threw a wobbly in January because he felt he hadn't strengthened enough (admittedly he was probably thinking of only the Prem transfer window as being too much to improve sufficiently, thereby strengthening my argument ?). When we do get promotion, be it this year via the playoffs, next by either route, or in 5 years time, then we will have to buy big just to survive. The days of Clough taking teams out of the second division and having a squad good enough to challenge at the top of the table are long gone. So long as we are at least competitive then let's go for it as soon as possible. That said I do think that we'e left it too late for this season.

Long gone?

Leicester City in League One 2008-2009... :whistle:

Last day of the season...

6. Fulham Pts 76

7. Sheff Weds Pts 76

8. Derby Pts 74

80 minutes in.

Rotherham 0 - 0 Derby

Sheff Weds 1 - 0 Fulham

Fulham are awarded a penalty and Martin steps up, then slots it home. Fulham think they have made it.

9th minutes added on at the end of the Derby game. With the last kick of the game, wayward shot deflects into the back of the Rotherham net, thanks to a Jokanovic figurine sat in front of the keeper. Derby finish 6th on goal difference. 

:ph34r:

2 hours ago, richinspain said:

??‍♂️ I'd still like us to win promotion this year even if we're not ready for the Prem. Is any team really ready when it gets out of the championship? Even Newcastle and Brighton will have to improve their squads. Benitez threw a wobbly in January because he felt he hadn't strengthened enough (admittedly he was probably thinking of only the Prem transfer window as being too much to improve sufficiently, thereby strengthening my argument ?). When we do get promotion, be it this year via the playoffs, next by either route, or in 5 years time, then we will have to buy big just to survive. The days of Clough taking teams out of the second division and having a squad good enough to challenge at the top of the table are long gone. So long as we are at least competitive then let's go for it as soon as possible. That said I do think that we've left it too late for this season.

Rowett will be gone by January if we went up and were in the bottom 3 of the prem just after Xmas.

As I said, thanks but no thanks.

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

Long gone?

Leicester City in League One 2008-2009... :whistle:

Leicester's first season in the prem they stayed up thanks to an end of season with title winning form. I'll give you that the second season could go under the "surprise" label at the very least ?

13 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Rowett will be gone by January if we went up and were in the bottom 3 of the prem just after Xmas.

As I said, thanks but no thanks.

If he had been backed financially and the team weren't even competitive then yes, he probably would be gone. I'd still like us to at least give it a go.

19 hours ago, singaporeram said:

Wednesday just beat Newcastle at home .. They can see the finish line, they're not gonna slip up. 

I see it every year.Clubs cement their position in the top 6 and towards the end of the season on the home straight they turn up the volume because they know what they have to do... 

That's what's been so galling about our last few seasons .. we've failed to do this.

There's still a chink of light thru that play off door, especially with having to play Wednesday, but I really think GR is for next season in the championship. 

Bring it on . :D:thumbsup:

Archived