Gegenpressing is dead. Long live Garypressing.

Duracell

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, i-Ram said:

All going well so far l agree. I don't think we are ever too far away from Depressing though, so l won't get too carried away yet.

5 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

This is always my concern.

We can cling to this....

that our upturn in performance can simply be explained by a regression to the mean.

i think it means that we are naturally very good.

22 hours ago, Duracell said:

At times last night, just how good were we at recovering the ball in their half and countering their potential counter attack?

It first happened in the second half against Forest, where the front 4 played about 10-15 yards up the pitch and really pressed their players, forcing mistakes.

It makes a huge amount of sense with the players we have, most of whom are very good at running around a lot, and with the right instructions could turn it into something useful.

I think a lot of our upturn in performance can simply be explained by a regression to the mean, but the biggest notable difference in the way we actually set up is our desire to win the ball back and how we are set up to do that as quickly as possible.

Garypressing has arrived. And I like it.

2 banks of 4 against Fulham after the astute tactical change  at half time .

Butterfield made a lot of difference in the fact it limited Fulhams tidy triangles   .

Rowett recognised that the 2 against the 3 was struggling in the Fulham game .

Derby kept their shape well .

Not rocket science  

Containment allowed Derby to press when  Fulham lost the ball.  

Pressing has to be very pragmatic unless everyone is uber fit.

You can't all press for 90 minutes. A mixture of pressing and sitting back and maintaining a shape makes sense. As long as everyone is singing off the same hymnsheet. 

As the team develops I'd like to see more possession and attractive yet progressive passing but I suppose it will often vary depending on the opponents.

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

We can cling to this....

that our upturn in performance can simply be explained by a regression to the mean.

i think it means that we are naturally very good.

Doesn't regression to the mean mean that you'll be better than average for a bit because you've been worse than average for a while? Regression to the mean doesn't mean we're naturally very good.

Archived