Was the diamond formation given much of an opportunity?

Sexydadbod

Excellent post above Alpha. The key to a diamond is for one of the forwards to drop deeper like you stated. Liverpool used the diamond formation a lot under Rodgers and it required that Suarez had to drop deeper at times to receive the ball, and then spun the defensive midfielder marking him around so he could play the ball to the full back whilst he then got into the box. I'm not suggesting that it should be our main formation, I think we can all agree that 4-3-3 suits the players the most after what happened under Pearson. Think of it of a more controlled and less gung ho formation if we need to mix it up than McClaren's previous 4-2-4 formation

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Do you mean something like this:

Carson

Keogh      Pearce       Forsyth 

Thorne

Christie                                             Lowe

Bryson      Hughes 

Ince

Forward

Not exactly, i would go with the same as ridingsram but with different wing backs, i would prefer lowe and a new right wing back.

Looks good on paper, but doesn't work too well on the pitch. Strikers get stretched out wide, flanks are too open and the attacking midfielders gets isolated. You could argue that our 4-3-3 under Mac was sort of a diamond with Martin dropping deep in a sort of an attacking midfield role and the other attackers sort of playing as inside forwards. 

Martin was absolutely majestic in his brief cameo at the tip of a conventional diamond during the second half of the Chez cup game a few years ago. Think he created three one on ones from lofted through balls on the break. Ward then Russell and Bent running in behind. I have to say, I hate the term and idea, but if ever we were under pressure and struggling I would have wanted that to be 'Plan B' - all it would have required was a slight shuffle, didn't even necessarily need any subs. 

As has already been mention though, through player movement our average touches usually ended up looking like;

------------Grant

--------Keogh-- Bucko

------------Eustace

Wisdom-----------------Fozzy                              

-------Hughes-----Bryso 

--------------Martin

-------Russell--------Ward

End of the day, it's not about formations but systems. 

Going over the old plan B debate, but it's a valid point that it's not been used and was tried under Clement but his tippy tappy footy never suited it, with Ince on the left and Hughes at the tip with Bent or nugent up top with vydra.......

also johnson was playing great at DM, why has it changed with de sart 

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Sorry, having some personal problems going on in my life atm so sorry if I'm not my normal self :)

Sorry to hear that. It'll work out in the end. It always does. Trust me. ;)

15 minutes ago, MrsRam said:

Sorry to hear that. It'll work out in the end. It always does. Trust me. ;)

Thanks for your concern, it's nothing major in the grand scheme of things. Just made me open my eyes in terms of how important it is to appreciate your loved ones as they are always there for you.

Back 4

De Sart

Hughes.     Johnson

Ince

Benuge   vydra

All that's really different is Ince I'd already in the middle instead of cutting in, and vydra or Russell hang out close to the striker instead of wider.

I still think it'd have most if the vices of our current team as anyway

11 hours ago, eddie said:

Put Football Manager away.

11 hours ago, McLovin said:

Was this response called for?

11 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Two,people thought so..

Lol you remind me of my Auntie Joan, my Auntie Marlene and my Auntie Kath.

Alway bickering away at each other them three.

Archived