Is the answer to the question........

Stripperg-ram

2 hours ago, Stripperg-ram said:

Or just a mirthful way of asking people why we're not as brittle at the back...?

ok, seeing as I've always liked your username, I'll give it a go.

I don't think generally we are better than previous seasons, but I think we have got better since Mac returned compared to Pearson. I put this down to:

Pearce having a run in the side

4-3-3 with BJ holding and screening the back 4

A bit of luck that we didn't have earlier in the season

Improved confidence throughout the team and playing higher up the pitch

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

Try Scotty Carson. Leaving him off of that list of reasons is absolutely criminal. 

His marshalling of the back four, and excellent saves cannot be underestimated. An absolutely top class goalkeeper. Right up there.

Agreed, but he came under the 'other'.

the list of possible reasons and combinations of reasons could be endless. It could also be that Powell is a good defensive coach. 

And I agree with other posts that we've not been terrible at the back for a while. 

But the point of this thread, I suppose, is to highlight that there's a steeliness to us at the moment. We're not just not letting goals in, we rarely look like letting goals in. I wasn't at Wigan, but we looked assured against a good Norwich side last week.

We may get spanked 12-0 by the gumps at the weekend, but right now we have a defensive confidence that I've not felt/seen for a while.

....of course this could all be because the 'gypsy curse' that was put upon Pride Park has been lifted, by naming it the 'Ipro' and then renaming it back again. Thereby making Derby County infallible.....

or its simply that Alex Pearce is the Puppies Swingers.

Either/Or.

35 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

ok, seeing as I've always liked your username, I'll give it a go.

I don't think generally we are better than previous seasons, but I think we have got better since Mac returned compared to Pearson. I put this down to:

Pearce having a run in the side

4-3-3 with BJ holding and screening the back 4

A bit of luck that we didn't have earlier in the season

Improved confidence throughout the team and playing higher up the pitch

Thanks. Your names lovely too. And I largely agree with you.

15 hours ago, Stripperg-ram said:

Agreed, but he came under the 'other'.

the list of possible reasons and combinations of reasons could be endless. It could also be that Powell is a good defensive coach. 

And I agree with other posts that we've not been terrible at the back for a while. 

But the point of this thread, I suppose, is to highlight that there's a steeliness to us at the moment. We're not just not letting goals in, we rarely look like letting goals in. I wasn't at Wigan, but we looked assured against a good Norwich side last week.

We may get spanked 12-0 by the gumps at the weekend, but right now we have a defensive confidence that I've not felt/seen for a while.

....of course this could all be because the 'gypsy curse' that was put upon Pride Park has been lifted, by naming it the 'Ipro' and then renaming it back again. Thereby making Derby County infallible.....

or its simply that Alex Pearce is the Puppies Swingers.

Either/Or.

Oh yes don't get me wrong mate, it's a fair thread, and a subject that we need to be heaping praise onto the lads for. 

One of the things that I think has improved matters, is that we look far fitter out there. When McClaren first arrived, it looked to me that the lads were blowing out of their backsides with a quarter of an hour to go, which I felt was very disappointing.

Looks like they are now bang up to speed, and able to tough it out at the business end of matches. When you are defending for your lives, fitness, and being able to dig deep when you are shot, is absolute key.

48 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

Oh yes don't get me wrong mate, it's a fair thread, and a subject that we need to be heaping praise onto the lads for. 

One of the things that I think has improved matters, is that we look far fitter out there. When McClaren first arrived, it looked to me that the lads were blowing out of their backsides with a quarter of an hour to go, which I felt was very disappointing.

Looks like they are now bang up to speed, and able to tough it out at the business end of matches. When you are defending for your lives, fitness, and being able to dig deep when you are shot, is absolute key.

Might have been a one off on Saturday, but I don't think we looked very fit second half. Wigan ran rings round our midfield especially, and we didn't have runners off the ball whenever we had possession. Needed a telescope to watch the majority of the second half.

2 hours ago, WharfedaleRam said:

Might have been a one off on Saturday, but I don't think we looked very fit second half. Wigan ran rings round our midfield especially, and we didn't have runners off the ball whenever we had possession. Needed a telescope to watch the majority of the second half.

I wasn't there on the Saturday I'm afraid so wouldn't be able to comment to any great degree, having said that, it does test your fitness to the maximum to make a rearguard action work the way we did, that I can tell you with no doubt. Football is bloody hard work without the ball!!

Archived