Bale on reportedly 600k a week

Tony Le Mesmer

Have we now reached the point where we have to praise blokes like Bale for taking advantage of such a ludicrous world and it's us mugs working for peanuts and idolising these players that are to blame?

Or does he and others genuinely warrant this for running a bit in training and playing 90 minutes football on a weekend, sometimes not playing well?

600 grand a week. The sheer magic and pleasure that Lionel Messi brings to football fans EVERY WEEK may be worth a hell of a lot but Bale will get 600k a week even if he does nowt.

I'm starting to really struggle with modern day football. It doesn't make any sense anymore.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Have we now reached the point where we have to praise blokes like Bale for taking advantage of such a ludicrous world and it's us mugs working for peanuts and idolising these players that are to blame?

Or does he and others genuinely warrant this for running a bit in training and playing 90 minutes football on a weekend, sometimes not playing well?

600 grand a week. The sheer magic and pleasure that Lionel Messi brings to football fans EVERY WEEK may be worth a hell of a lot but Bale will get 600k a week even if he does nowt.

I'm starting to really struggle with modern day football. It doesn't make any sense anymore.

I'm a bit worried for him to be honest, if that's all he gets maybe we should start a go fund me for him. 

Supply and demand - if Real Madrid can afford to pay it I don't see a problem. He will make more than enough money for Real Madrid in competitions, sponsorships, shirt sales, etc that it will very likely be a very good business decision for them. 

Same with Pogba being brought for 100 mill - United made a gigantic chunk of that back from shirt sales alone.

Change career if you don't like what you earn yourself - it isn't Bales fault that the wages are that high for players of his quality - its how  capitalist economies work.

I just did the maths. if he dropped a pound, it literally wouldn't be worth the time it would take to pick it up. He earns just under a pound a second (604,800 seconds in a week), whether he's eating, sleeping, shitting, whatever. Wouldn't it be great to go to sleep for 8 hours, wake up and think, 'that's £28,800 in the bank, think I'll have a lie in and earn another £3,600.'?

The numbers now for commercial sales for these clubs are bizarre. When Real signed Rodriguez after the last world cup for 80m euros they sold over 300,000 shirts with his name on in the first week that's probably 35m euros worth of shirts. I accept this is not all profit but that's in 1 week. Those two guys on the pitch on Saturday being asked how many total shirts we have sold with Just Eat new logo on and one said 48,000 the other 62,000 shows how far behind we are and always will be. I seem to remember the correct answer was 14,500. That's still a decent number for a provincial club in England but Real's total income now is probably 500-600m euros a season. I also don't believe for one minute real Madrid will give Gareth Bale 30m euros a season. He's no Jake Buxton!

16 hours ago, GenBr said:

Supply and demand - if Real Madrid can afford to pay it I don't see a problem. He will make more than enough money for Real Madrid in competitions, sponsorships, shirt sales, etc that it will very likely be a very good business decision for them. 

Same with Pogba being brought for 100 mill - United made a gigantic chunk of that back from shirt sales alone.

Change career if you don't like what you earn yourself - it isn't Bales fault that the wages are that high for players of his quality - its how  capitalist economies work.

I see what you're saying about it not being Bale's fault and I've said that in my post too. It's not so much about me having a poorly paid job and wishing I had a better more well paid one but more about value for money and how the continual rise of stupid wages impacts on fans.

Say Derby won the Prem in 10 years time and 'did a Leicester'. Then 5 years later the mighty Rams established themselves as a top 6 club along with attracting those hordes of far east fans that will spend money on merchandise and tickets like it's going out of fashion, ala Leicester.

Ticket prices now are 50 quid instead of 25, replica shirts are 60 and not 40 and everything goes up and becomes more out of reach to the ordinary Derby fan. The club loses it's soul, it's die hard fanbase and now accomodates Japanese tourists and the more well off.

All to pay star players 600k a week.

You are right, it is supply and demand but football will eventually become an inferior product and unsustainable because of it.

If Bale played like a superhuman every game so your jaw dropped, skinning 5 players and cracking shots in the top corners then yes, I could maybe come to some compromise about accepting if he's worth somewhere near 600k a week but he doesn't. He's not alone.

My issue is that it's more about what he is worth as a revenue stream rather Tha what he can do on a football pitch.

Messi and Ronaldo are the only two players over the last however many years that I would pay over the odds to watch.

Why?

Because they entertain and do exactly what their superstar wages suggest they should do. They deliver every single week. Not one week of brilliance and 3 of ok. Every single week they deliver.

Not 600k a week deliver but they do what they get paid to do.

Today we have bang average players on world superstar money and the fans pay. WBA players for example are on a fair whack but recently there were loads of empty seats for their fixture against Man City.

They play terrible football admittedly but if tickets were reasonably priced for the standard of player they are watching then maybe it would have been full regardless of WBA being a negative team.

It's not necessarily all about supply and demand. Footballers in general get paid fortunes for doing their jobs once every so many games and somehow people think this is acceptable.

15 hours ago, David said:

I just don't get how this makes any financial sense, great player but can Bale alone really bring in over £2m revenue a month or contribute to some large revenue? 

Madness

Real could get rid of their top players and earners, stop paying these outrageous sums and I bet their revenue would only drop by £50m or so. Yet their profits as a result would probably increase by twice that. The penny will drop soon. One of the bigger European football sides will drop out of this little race. They will still pay big transfer fees and wages, but they will pale in comparison. 

Footballers earn silly money. I'm an idiot for paying the exorbitant fees now required to watch our domestic game at any decent level and so are all of you. The only way things will ever change is if people withdraw their custom. Fans advocacy groups can win minor skirmishes, such as the £20's plenty campaign, but nothing will change so long as people pay >£25 for tickets and renew their Sky/BT subscriptions every year. Another big stumbling block for our domestic game right now, in the Premiership at least, is it's popularity abroad. Even if all fans in the Premiership got together and refused to attend matches and cancelled their TV subscriptions the teams would quite happily play in empty stadiums, safe in the knowledge that their spending would be bankrolled by foreign TV deals.

I have my fingers crossed that some big emerging economy (like China) will go mad for football, entice all the big players away from the Premier League and become the world league to watch. Maybe then we can go back to paying a reasonable price to watch mainly British footballers play in our domestic leagues.

4 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I see what you're saying about it not being Bale's fault and I've said that in my post too. It's not so much about me having a poorly paid job and wishing I had a better more well paid one but more about value for money and how the continual rise of stupid wages impacts on fans.

Say Derby won the Prem in 10 years time and 'did a Leicester'. Then 5 years later the mighty Rams established themselves as a top 6 club along with attracting those hordes of far east fans that will spend money on merchandise and tickets like it's going out of fashion, ala Leicester.

Ticket prices now are 50 quid instead of 25, replica shirts are 60 and not 40 and everything goes up and becomes more out of reach to the ordinary Derby fan. The club loses it's soul, it's die hard fanbase and now accomodates Japanese tourists and the more well off.

All to pay star players 600k a week.

You are right, it is supply and demand but football will eventually become an inferior product and unsustainable because of it.

If Bale played like a superhuman every game so your jaw dropped, skinning 5 players and cracking shots in the top corners then yes, I could maybe come to some compromise about accepting if he's worth somewhere near 600k a week but he doesn't. He's not alone.

My issue is that it's more about what he is worth as a revenue stream rather Tha what he can do on a football pitch.

Messi and Ronaldo are the only two players over the last however many years that I would pay over the odds to watch.

Why?

Because they entertain and do exactly what their superstar wages suggest they should do. They deliver every single week. Not one week of brilliance and 3 of ok. Every single week they deliver.

Not 600k a week deliver but they do what they get paid to do.

Today we have bang average players on world superstar money and the fans pay. WBA players for example are on a fair whack but recently there were loads of empty seats for their fixture against Man City.

They play terrible football admittedly but if tickets were reasonably priced for the standard of player they are watching then maybe it would have been full regardless of WBA being a negative team.

It's not necessarily all about supply and demand. Footballers in general get paid fortunes for doing their jobs once every so many games and somehow people think this is acceptable.

I know of a WBA fan who goes and watches Bradford instead because it's closer and a hell of a lot cheaper.

5 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

I know of a WBA fan who goes and watches Bradford instead because it's closer and a hell of a lot cheaper.

I don't claim to know what ticket prices are in the Prem but ticket prices for national league / league 2 / league 1 can range between 15 and 25 quid. That's to watch nobodies in ramshackle grounds.

What I've found is by leaving my lower league following days behind me and going to watch Derby, although the ticket prices at Derby IMO are far too expensive, comparing them to the clubs in the leagues I've just mentioned Derby are full value for money at just a few quid more often than not.

From what I know about Bradford they usually give fans great value for money and do dirt cheap season tickets to get fans in the ground and it helps everyone but fans who are thinking of dropping down the leagues to get value for money because they are sick of being ripped off at their 'big' club will still find they are still being ripped off by smaller clubs.

To get real value for money in football I think you need to find a club like Bradford who do make the effort with fans and they are few and far between. Or you need to drop to national north / south / evostick and lower.

With some of these National League games like Boreham Wood v Maidstone United the prices are about 15 quid plus to watch with just a few hundred.

No different to watching Matlock Town v Skelmersdale IMO. Same quality, same grounds, same facilities, cheaper price.

4 hours ago, StringerBell said:

So in fairness, you know a Bradford fan. ;)

Top athletes in the world deserve to earn such vast sums of money if the demand is there.

What grates me is when average footballers like Adam Johnson earned £60k a week playing for bog-standard clubs like Sunderland. That to me is just insane.

There are a number of PL footballers who I wouldn't get out of bed to watch that earn more in a week than a doctor in Mexico earns in three years. How is that right?

Archived