Two central midfielders conundrum

RiddingsRam

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, cannable said:

Whaaaa?

Willberforce was brilliant when he came back and Bryson was great whenever he had a fully fit Thorne behind him.

What do you class as brilliant? 

Brilliant would be a player absolutely tearing it up, goals, assists, stunning performances. I didn't see one? 

I like Will and he's a very good footballer but to me that's another prime example of him being overhyped, again. He's a 7/10 (not consistent yet) Championship player and probably always will be. 

You also class Bryson as "great" but I'd disagree with that too. He didn't do anything out of the ordinary. For a player that has shown his clear goal scoring and match winning ability in previous seasons, ordinary doesn't quite cut it. 

If I cast my mind back to when we played 442 under Arthur Cox, at our best, it was Williams and Hebberd.

Therefore, I'd suggest Johnson and Bryson is the best fit.

The conundrum is that Will Hughes is our best player, but he doesn't fit this style of play.  He's a technical player who suits the possession heavy approach.

I'm starting to believe that if Pearson's style is the long term route we are adopting, we would be best cashing in on Hughes and using that money to bring in players that fit that style.

Just need to find a Gary Micklewhite somewhere!  And a Goddard.

3 hours ago, maydrakin said:

If I cast my mind back to when we played 442 under Arthur Cox, at our best, it was Williams and Hebberd.

The conundrum is that Will Hughes is our best player, but he doesn't fit this style of play.  He's a technical player who suits the possession heavy approach.

I'm starting to believe that if Pearson's style is the long term route we are adopting, we would be best cashing in on Hughes and using that money to bring in players that fit that style.

He's out on loan!

5 hours ago, maydrakin said:

You could argue that in that case the style of play needs to change. Particularly as he isn't the only player in the squad to suit a technical possession heavy approach.

8 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Brilliant would be a player absolutely tearing it up, goals, assists, stunning performances. I didn't see one? 

I like Will and he's a very good footballer but to me that's another prime example of him being overhyped, again. He's a 7/10 (not consistent yet) Championship player and probably always will be. 

You also class Bryson as "great" but I'd disagree with that too. He didn't do anything out of the ordinary. For a player that has shown his clear goal scoring and match winning ability in previous seasons, ordinary doesn't quite cut it. 

Andres Iniesta scored 1 goal and got 2 assists last season. Is he not a brilliant player ? 

An on form Will Hughes makes Derby tick and in my mind is without a doubt the best player in the squad. 

6 hours ago, maydrakin said:

Tend to agree. Also, I have a feeling that Will himself may be be thinking its time to move one. 

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

Andres Iniesta scored 1 goal and got 2 assists last season. Is he not a brilliant player ? 

An on form Will Hughes makes Derby tick and in my mind is without a doubt the best player in the squad. 

You missed the performance bit off on purpose I'm guessing, as Iniesta puts performances in week in week out of the highest level, hence why he's one of the most decorated midfielders in the world. 

I agree with the last statement, 100%, my argument is the fact that he's not on form and isn't showing why he's the best player in the squad or one of the most highly rated talents at this level. 

Its doubt creeping in, that's all. Would love nothing more for him to grab today's game by the scruff of the neck and put in a match winning performance. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

You missed the performance bit off on purpose I'm guessing, as Iniesta puts performances in week in week out of the highest level, hence why he's one of the most decorated midfielders in the world. 

I agree with the last statement, 100%, my argument is the fact that he's not on form and isn't showing why he's the best player in the squad or one of the most highly rated talents at this level. 

Its doubt creeping in, that's all. Would love nothing more for him to grab today's game by the scruff of the neck and put in a match winning performance. 

I did miss it out deliberately because I feel like I've already stated my view that his performances were good and know that you disagree.

Other than that I completely agree with what you've said. I'd just add that I do think his dip in form is at least in part due to tactics and him not believing in tactics. To bring up Iniesta again, he wouldn't look the same player played in the centre of a 442 predicated on sitting back and counter attacking.

10 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Two man of the matches looking better than ever before and two 7/10 performances whilst out of position from five games. 

Bryson gave the midfield another dimension again. 

Archived