Competitive sport or artificial spectacular

jono

I am all for a bit of Razzamataz .. Great when the likes of our 1884 group and Mel arrange flags and ticker tape to add to the occasion. I am not a stick in the mud. These things are all part of the fun. I do have a line that, when crossed, spoils a sport and reduces it to a lesser thing.

i was listening to Radio Derby today talking about formula E .. Electric car racing .. Brilliant .. This is how technology gets advanced through sport and the challenges it brings .. Good to watch as well. Then I hear the spokesperson saying how hard they are working for the fans to interact with the sport by having "features" like "fan boost" .. You get to vote for your favourite driver and he gets some extra Amps volts or whatever on the basis that he has pleased the crowd ... YUKKKKK with a capital Y .. That isn't sport that's X Factor and it gets my goat. 

Any views anyone ? Or am I just a dinosaur ? 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jono said:

You get to vote for your favourite driver and he gets some extra Amps volts or whatever on the basis that he has pleased the crowd ... YUKKKKK with a capital Y .. That isn't sport that's X Factor and it gets my goat. 

Can you imagine the furore if someone like Suzi Wolff was driving and all the blokes starting voting for a female! Yeah, perfect competitive sense. Not.

Just too tacky.

13 hours ago, jono said:

I am all for a bit of Razzamataz .. Great when the likes of our 1884 group and Mel arrange flags and ticker tape to add to the occasion. I am not a stick in the mud. These things are all part of the fun. I do have a line that, when crossed, spoils a sport and reduces it to a lesser thing.

i was listening to Radio Derby today talking about formula E .. Electric car racing .. Brilliant .. This is how technology gets advanced through sport and the challenges it brings .. Good to watch as well. Then I hear the spokesperson saying how hard they are working for the fans to interact with the sport by having "features" like "fan boost" .. You get to vote for your favourite driver and he gets some extra Amps volts or whatever on the basis that he has pleased the crowd ... YUKKKKK with a capital Y .. That isn't sport that's X Factor and it gets my goat. 

Precisely, and for that reason, I'm out.

There are bigger problems in the world than my meldrewesque view on things like this, but sport is a valuable thing. It is about advancement and hitting new heights of endeavour as much as entertainment. Something like Formula E really inspires but when marketing people get in the way too much, it loses something crucial.

It's the same with things in life that are "over branded" .. Do you buy a car or a handbag because they are well designed using beautiful materials and as a bonus look good. Or do you buy something with a badge that takes pride of place over the substance of the product. Brands became valuable when people trusted them to produce something worthy of that trust. How can a sport be believable if  the excitment is artificially warped. 

5 minutes ago, jono said:

It's the same with things in life that are "over branded" .. Do you buy a car or a handbag because they are well designed using beautiful materials and as a bonus look good. Or do you buy something with a badge that takes pride of place over the substance of the product. Brands became valuable when people trusted them to produce something worthy of that trust. How can a sport be believable if  the excitment is artificially warped. 

But a brand wouldn't survive for long if there was nothing to support it other than the name and badge. OK, you can maybe get a lot of people interested very quickly by clever marketing but you'll also get found out quickly if the substance of the product doesn't meet your expectations.

26 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

But a brand wouldn't survive for long if there was nothing to support it other than the name and badge. OK, you can maybe get a lot of people interested very quickly by clever marketing but you'll also get found out quickly if the substance of the product doesn't meet your expectations.

Sometimes, the brand is tailored to fit the person.

Otherwise, there would be no such thing as BMW.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

Sometimes, the brand is tailored to fit the person.

Otherwise, there would be no such thing as BMW.

Absolutely. The brand has to fit the target market.

If BMW were poorly made, were slow and cornered like a super-tanker, then their brand wouldn't last long for their target market. BMW and all successful brands exist because they meet their customers' expectations.

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Absolutely. The brand has to fit the target market.

If BMW were poorly made, were slow and cornered like a super-tanker, then their brand wouldn't last long for their target market. BMW and all successful brands exist because they meet their customers' expectations.

Unfortunately that target market has a vast majority of people who cannot drive, they may have a licence, just cannot drive.

Archived