Live Game Thread 16/17

SaintRam

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

The goal was a total fluke. Brilliant technique and goal, but a total fluke nonetheless.

Fluke? I suppose Matt Oakley goal 9 years ago fluke then. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Fluke? I suppose Matt Oakley goal 9 years ago fluke then. 

Which goal?

Any goal that is a bycicle kick, or a 30-yard smash is a fluke. Great technique, both ball-striking and body shape, but the actual finish is a fluke.

When striking from distance, players only concentrate on a clean connection. One that flies into the top corner may well look spectacular, but the player certainly wasnt aiming there, it just happened to end up there.

Giroud simply aimed to connect with the ball. He certainly wasn't planning for it to be placed into the top corner, kissing the crossbar on its way in. It was amazing, but ultimately a fluke.

The best goals are real team goals which are thought out, or a player who dribbles past numerous opponents before scoring. Those are far more difficult to execute than a hopeful long-range smash or Giroud's volley.

People were talking about it like it was the best goal ever. The same as Ibra's volley against England. Great technique, but lets be honest, pretty much any decent professional footballer could score a goal like that.

Not everybody, however, can waltz through five or six opponents before scoring in the manner that Lionel Messi can. His goals against Real Madrid or Athletic Bilbao for instance. Unparalleled.

Have to say, it's always team goals or individual runs that are the best for me. 

My instant reaction to a 30 yard volley is that "what a goal!!" But I do kind of think it's just one pure clean strike. Which I think most people could manage given enough chances. How many shots from range has Hendrick had? Even Theo caught a couple of volleys sweetly. Good goals but the sort of shots you'd rather your opponent have. 

Whereas threading the ball through a team in an attacking storm forward or showing incredible balance and awareness Messi style I think takes more skill. 

Derby have never scored an ugly winning goal though. All beautiful

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Have to say, it's always team goals or individual runs that are the best for me. 

My instant reaction to a 30 yard volley is that "what a goal!!" But I do kind of think it's just one pure clean strike. Which I think most people could manage given enough chances. How many shots from range has Hendrick had? Even Theo caught a couple of volleys sweetly. Good goals but the sort of shots you'd rather your opponent have. 

Whereas threading the ball through a team in an attacking storm forward or showing incredible balance and awareness Messi style I think takes more skill. 

Derby have never scored an ugly winning goal though. All beautiful

Thing is a player striking from range isn't actually aiming anywhere other than the goal. A clean strike and it cn fly in either top corner, come off the bar or post, be a 'daisy-cutter' and fly into the bottom corner.

Gets the same reaction from me. Amazing goal. But let's be honest, it was just a clean connection. It could have gone anywhere. Some commentators even go as far as saying players purposely put spin and swerve on the ball to deceive the goalkeeper. Do they feck. It's literally just a smash and hope.

Go on to youtube and there are videos of amazing scorpion kicks from Joe Bloggs playing in the Costa Rica second division. Pretty much any footballer can do it.

But I don't see many videos of players waltzing through half of Real Madrid's side before slotting home!

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Which goal?

Any goal that is a bycicle kick, or a 30-yard smash is a fluke. Great technique, both ball-striking and body shape, but the actual finish is a fluke.

When striking from distance, players only concentrate on a clean connection. One that flies into the top corner may well look spectacular, but the player certainly wasnt aiming there, it just happened to end up there.

Giroud simply aimed to connect with the ball. He certainly wasn't planning for it to be placed into the top corner, kissing the crossbar on its way in. It was amazing, but ultimately a fluke.

The best goals are real team goals which are thought out, or a player who dribbles past numerous opponents before scoring. Those are far more difficult to execute than a hopeful long-range smash or Giroud's volley.

People were talking about it like it was the best goal ever. The same as Ibra's volley against England. Great technique, but lets be honest, pretty much any decent professional footballer could score a goal like that.

Not everybody, however, can waltz through five or six opponents before scoring in the manner that Lionel Messi can. His goals against Real Madrid or Athletic Bilbao for instance. Unparalleled.

I agree.

I do love to see long range specials though purely for the enjoyment of them. Like Bris says, the ball comes out to a player and he just smashes it and it flies in. The exceptions are ones that are deliberately curled in I guess.

Then you get goals like the Aguero one against Burnley yesterday. Tight angle and superb finish but luck plays a big part. All he's done is sidefoot it in the direction of the nets. I very much doubt a high conversion rate if he tried the same finish 10 times on the training pitch.

Sometimes you just hit one in a split second and it goes in.

Dribbled goals are special but we rarely get them nowadays as those sorts of players aren't being produced anymore. Certainly not on these shores.

The Maradona one was special, no doubts about that but the England players tackling was a bit powderpuff and so IMO contributed to the goal itself. :ph34r:

Archived