Birmingham pub bombings

uttoxram75

I was reading about the recent decision to allow the opening of the inquest into the Birmingham pub bombings of 1974 and stumbled across a snippet that said the Director of Public Prosecutions ruled in 1994 that no new inquiries into the atrocity could be opened for 75 years.

What? 75 years? I thought i'd read it wrong so I looked into a bit more and found that was the case.

Some comments/reports I found

At the trial of the Birmingham Six, the judge, Mr. Justice Bridge, said that, if the defendants were telling the truth, the police had been involved in a conspiracy 'unprecedented in the annals of criminal history'.

At the Court of Appeal in 1980, Lord Denning spoke of the 'appalling vista' that would arise were it ever to be demonstrated that a conspiracy had taken place in the case of the Birmingham Pub Bombings investigation.

In his evidence to the Royal Commision on Criminal Justice, then MP, Chris Mullin, said it was his view that: 'with certain honourable exceptions, most of those who preside over our criminal justice system are congenitally incapable of owning up to mistakes, let alone taking the steps necessary to prevent a recurrence.'

Mullin also suggested that another view held by some people in authority was that whatever fraud and perjury may have taken place during the investigation into the Birmingham Pub Bombings (and now the Birmingham Six have been found to be innocent we can presume fraud and perjury was commited by West Midlands Police officers), that they believed it should be 'swept under the carpet in order not to undermine public confidence in the police and the judicial system.'

There's loads more stuff, I had no idea that members of a Birmingham IRA unit were arrested 4 months after the conviction of the 6, a confession by one of them actually admitting planting one of the bombs was dismissed and they were released to go on to commit further terrorist atrocities in later years just to protect the corrupt West Midlands police.

WTF did they do that can't be investigated for 75 years? I always assumed they beat a few confessions out of some hapless paddies who were in the wrong place at the wrong time but it seems there was a far bigger conspiracy than that.

The families of the dead deserve a public inquiry into this and hopefully the opening of the inquest will lead to some of the truth finally coming out.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched a program not so long ago on this, the ruling works for both sides. The British army had an undercover task force working in Ireland that killed a lot of innocent civilians. If they quash the 75 year rule it could see people from both sides face jail time. 

2 hours ago, YouRams said:

I watched a program not so long ago on this, the ruling works for both sides. The British army had an undercover task force working in Ireland that killed a lot of innocent civilians. If they quash the 75 year rule it could see people from both sides face jail time. 

I read an article about the famous children's home in Belfast where it's alleged MI5 and MI6, along with other powerful government institutes were aware of systematic child sex abuse, but instead of doing anything about it, blackmailed the perpetrators into gathering information (spying). Effectively allowing the abuse to continue.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/kincora-boys-home-historic-abuse-inquiry-to-examine-abuse-claims-a7057116.html

Archived