Thank you Darren Wassall

JaguarRam

13 hours ago, Posh Ram said:

You're probably right and "just playing" meant that we completely p*ssed our season away.

Wassall seems like a good bloke and he's obviously done a good job with the academy, I'm glad he's returning to that role. But as @i-Ramsaid I'd be surprised if he becomes a good manager. I'm sure he's a great motivator but he's also a bit tactically inept.

With a few exceptions of people who have jumped in at the deep end and succeeded most successful managers climb a ladder to greatness by taking little steps and learning as they go. From academy to top end of the championship is definately missing a few rungs out. I am so pleased he excepted his old job back. A lesser man may have spat his dummy and left. He should be included in the management team set up. Thus enabling him to learn from Pearson and to help the academy progress into pearsons preferred playing style, allowing the youngsters to step in, if and when required. How anyone can say he won't make a good manager based on a brief over promoted tenure is beyond me 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Doodle said:

With a few exceptions of people who have jumped in at the deep end and succeeded most successful managers climb a ladder to greatness by taking little steps and learning as they go. From academy to top end of the championship is definately missing a few rungs out. I am so pleased he excepted his old job back. A lesser man may have spat his dummy and left. He should be included in the management team set up. Thus enabling him to learn from Pearson and to help the academy progress into pearsons preferred playing style, allowing the youngsters to step in, if and when required. How anyone can say he won't make a good manager based on a brief over promoted tenure is beyond me 

And there you have quite perfectly summed up what's wrong with so many football fans. Inflexibility. So many make their minds up over something and nothing will ever sway them from that belief, despite what happens to suggest that the contrary is possible.

I like DW, pleased he's stayed on at the club , thought now he'd dipped his toe into management he might fancy my spreading his wings and starting odmff down the leagues a bit . Personally I think it's to our benefits he's going back to working with the under 21s and hopefully he'll gain a close bond with NP and the youngsters will have a clear path to the 1st team .

3 hours ago, eddie said:

And there you have quite perfectly summed up what's wrong with so many football fans. Inflexibility. So many make their minds up over something and nothing will ever sway them from that belief, despite what happens to suggest that the contrary is possible.

That's the problem of having a football fan as club owner as well I suppose. But Mel, like me, saw us play about 3 decent games under DW's stewardship and thought thanks but no thanks. Not really sure Eddie what you saw to suggest that DW could cut it at Championship level?

53 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

That's the problem of having a football fan as club owner as well I suppose. But Mel, like me, saw us play about 3 decent games under DW's stewardship and thought thanks but no thanks. Not really sure Eddie what you saw to suggest that DW could cut it at Championship level?

Nor am I - but I never saw anything that suggested that he won't either. He turned a season that was in free fall around - a team that hadn't won in 8 games and a team that was hardly mustering a single shot on target. Admitted, Hull at home in the playoff semi-final saw us revert back to type.

He managed for 18 games, and we won 9 of those. That's not at all bad.

If Darren Wassall taking the helm for a chunk of the season ensured we got Nigel Pearson, then I'm all for it. I also respect the job he did in the interim but in no way, shape or form should he have been in with a shout of the full time post. Mel has played this appointment absolutely spot on, this time around. 

Archived