McClaren rejected.

McRainy

I would have him back in a heartbeat... Mel has made some bad decisions over the last couple of years, but sacking Steve is the worst one. 

E ultimately got sacked because we didn't get promoted (and now we hear promotion was never the target)..so Waffle should be out on his ear now then.? 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I would have him back in a heartbeat... Mel has made some bad decisions over the last couple of years, but sacking Steve is the worst one. 

E ultimately got sacked because we didn't get promoted (and now we hear promotion was never the target)..so Waffle should be out on his ear now then.? 

I don't recall it ever being said that he was sacked for not getting promoted. 

Those last months under him while the Newcastle rumours circulated were a disaster, and honestly, if he wasn't committed to the club long term it was the right call. I wouldn't have him back, he'd be off to the next relegation fodder Premier League side that winked at him as quickly as last time. 

1 hour ago, Albert said:

I don't recall it ever being said that he was sacked for not getting promoted. 

Those last months under him while the Newcastle rumours circulated were a disaster, and honestly, if he wasn't committed to the club long term it was the right call. I wouldn't have him back, he'd be off to the next relegation fodder Premier League side that winked at him as quickly as last time. 

He was sacked because we finished 8th....he wouldn't have been sacked if we had got promotion. 

Mans so what if he left, he was offered a bigger, better job on a lot more money with a lot higher profile....it's the only reason any of us go to work and every one of us would leave their current job to do the same thing for double/triple the money down the road at a more prestigious company. 

4 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

He was sacked because we finished 8th....he wouldn't have been sacked if we had got promotion. 

Mans so what if he left, he was offered a bigger, better job on a lot more money with a lot higher profile....it's the only reason any of us go to work and every one of us would leave their current job to do the same thing for double/triple the money down the road at a more prestigious company. 

Yep, and it all ended in tears, which is entirely the risk of taking such a job. To be blunt about it, if the option is between being paid a lot, having security and respect and being paid even more with the risk of ruining my career, I generally would prefer the first option, but that's a bit different. 

Ultimately though, we only have the results of what's happened to talk about, and the simple point is that his reputation is once again in tatters after bringing down a Newcastle side that had some £80 million invested in it, on top of a squad that most felt should have been more than good enough to survive already. Arguably more damage to his career than the mess at Forest or Wolfsburg.

You can talk the ol' "you'd have taken the job if it was offered to you", but to be honest, I actually wouldn't have, I know because I have turned down "more prestigious" positions in the past, but I guess you'd just call me unambitious. He does make a great tale of why chasing such things rather than staying loyal can be risky though. 

15 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Or look at it another way, do you join a sinking ship with the specific job of 'save our ship' for double the wages? As it is the ship has predictably sunk and so has your reputation.

33 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Or look at it another way, do you join a sinking ship with the specific job of 'save our ship' for double the wages? As it is the ship has predictably sunk and so has your reputation.

If I'd just been kicked off a ship and was treading water in the middle of the ocean, then yes, I'd have a punt at saving the sinking vessel.

24 minutes ago, Anon said:

If I'd just been kicked off a ship and was treading water in the middle of the ocean, then yes, I'd have a punt at saving the sinking vessel.

If you were on a smaller ship out in sea delivering a small but valuable cargo of jewellery and a huge cargo ship full of masses of rotten goods is headed straight for you do you steer the smaller ship out of the way and continue your journey or just let the two ships collide and get rescued to captain the larger one?

Maclaren may not have been signalling the larger & riskier ship to come get him, but he certainly didn't steer the smaller, safer one out of the way

22 minutes ago, Anon said:

Ahh but if had you been drunkenly flirting with the sinking vessel in the night, then you might deserve the kick

Archived