Brighton and Hove Albion v Derby County

eddie

Monday, 2 May

Amex Stadium, 2.30 pm kickoff

Brighton's splendid stadium in Falmer is the venue for Derby County's penultimate Championship match of 2015-16, but how many others will follow, two or three? For The Rams, the finishing position in the table will be somewhere between 4th and 6th, but in order to overtake Hull City, two wins v zero wins is the unlikely scenario, whereas to drop below Sheffield Wednesday would require the even more unlikely two defeats v two wins plus a six goal turnaround. Not going to happen either way, folks - we are going to Hull on a Tuesday night.

For Brighton, the bright lights of the Premier Money League sponsoned by the Barclays Wunch of Bankers with rearranged-at-the-last-minute Thursday night trips to Newcastle I mean Sunderland I mean somewhere else not actually relegated, situated light-years away from East Sussex awaits them, just over the horizon, and their fate rests entirely in their own hands. There is just the small matter of Derby County and Middlesbrough to overcome.

There is no truth in the rumour that the plans for a stadium at Falmer were unearthed along with the Dead Sea Scrolls - it only seems that long ago. The original plans for a new ground were put together following Albion's eviction from the Goldstone Ground in the mid-1990's when the club were in a seriously sorry state, and only a draw at Hereford on the last day of the 1996-97 season saw them preserve their Football League status.

It was in 1999 that Falmer became the location of choice, but a series of plannng problems meant that progress was painfully slow - almost as painful as trying to stay warm and dry in the godforsaken Withdean hell-hole which became a not-so-temporary home for the Seagulls. Eventually though, construction work commenced on the new ground, and was almost immediately suspended following the discovery of what was thought to be the world's only living colony of trilobites. Luckily, it turned out to be woodlice.

Six things you almost never knew about Brighton

• Albion were formed in 1901 and their first campaign was in the Second Division of the Southern League, when their top goalscorer was Bobby Zamora.
  • The current Mayor of the city of Brighton is Lynda Hyde, who is married to Dr Jekyll.
  • Brighton was once known as Brighthelmeston. It only changed its name to what we now recognise when the council workman charged with creating the new parish boundary road signs ran out of paint.
  • At the end of the Saxon period, Godwin was made Earl of Wessex by some Cnut... I'm sorry, that should read "by King Cnut".
  • In Norman times, a rent of 4000 herring was recorded in the Domesday Book as being the tithe payable by one Manorial seat. Nowadays, in keeping with the fishy theme, Southern Water conduct regular tours of the sewers, starting at Brighton Pier, where you can see the brown cigar fish.
  • A block of flats built in 1935 on Kings Road, Brighton, enjoys Grade II Listed staus. Embassy Court has recently been renovated, unlike its poorer neighbour, Players Number 6 Court.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, eddie said:

Monday, 2 May

Amex Stadium, 2.30 pm kickoff

Brighton's splendid stadium in Falmer is the venue for Derby County's penultimate Championship match of 2015-16, but how many others will follow, two or three? For The Rams, the finishing position in the table will be somewhere between 4th and 6th, but in order to overtake Hull City, two wins v zero wins is the unlikely scenario, whereas to drop below Sheffield Wednesday would require the even more unlikely two defeats v two wins plus a six goal turnaround. Not going to happen either way, folks - we are going to Hull on a Tuesday night.

For Brighton, the bright lights of the Premier Money League sponsoned by the Barclays Wunch of Bankers with rearranged-at-the-last-minute Thursday night trips to Newcastle I mean Sunderland I mean somewhere else not actually relegated, situated light-years away from East Sussex awaits them, just over the horizon, and their fate rests entirely in their own hands. There is just the small matter of Derby County and Middlesbrough to overcome.

There is no truth in the rumour that the plans for a stadium at Falmer were unearthed along with the Dead Sea Scrolls - it only seems that long ago. The original plans for a new ground were put together following Albion's eviction from the Goldstone Ground in the mid-1990's when the club were in a seriously sorry state, and only a draw at Hereford on the last day of the 1996-97 season saw them preserve their Football League status.

It was in 1999 that Falmer became the location of choice, but a series of plannng problems meant that progress was painfully slow - almost as painful as trying to stay warm and dry in the godforsaken Withdean hell-hole which became a not-so-temporary home for the Seagulls. Eventually though, construction work commenced on the new ground, and was almost immediately suspended following the discovery of what was thought to be the world's only living colony of trilobites. Luckily, it turned out to be woodlice.

Six things you almost never knew about Brighton

• Albion were formed in 1901 and their first campaign was in the Second Division of the Southern League, when their top goalscorer was Bobby Zamora.
  • The current Mayor of the city of Brighton is Lynda Hyde, who is married to Dr Jekyll.
  • Brighton was once known as Brighthelmeston. It only changed its name to what we now recognise when the council workman charged with creating the new parish boundary road signs ran out of paint.
  • At the end of the Saxon period, Godwin was made Earl of Wessex by some Cnut... I'm sorry, that should read "by King Cnut".
  • In Norman times, a rent of 4000 herring was recorded in the Domesday Book as being the tithe payable by one Manorial seat. Nowadays, in keeping with the fishy theme, Southern Water conduct regular tours of the sewers, starting at Brighton Pier, where you can see the brown cigar fish.
  • A block of flats built in 1935 on Kings Road, Brighton, enjoys Grade II Listed staus. Embassy Court has recently been renovated, unlike its poorer neighbour, Players Number 6 Court.

God I hope we lose on Monday.

I think this will be a really good game and with some good stuff shown on both sides. Brighton tied for the auto places and I expect them to come out firing in this one, especially as their current form is really good. As for the Rams, our form and performances of late have been very good too and I am confident we will come ready to play in this one.

Glad it's on Sky of course:D. Only hiccup is that I am supposed to be doing some cataloging at work during the game. Any suggestions/excuses for getting out of it so I can watch the Rams? Perhaps sneak a tablet under my shirt?

COYR.

8 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

God I hope we lose on Monday.

Each bullet-point about Brighton is a half-truth.

I put them together especially for our Brighton-based half-fan.

Unpredictable team selection, type of performance and scoreline. There you have it.

We should play a weakened team as we can gain nothing from getting three more points. We must keep our powder dry. If we beat them or draw we will probably get them in the Final of the Play Offs. If we lose it we probably will get the lesser team on the day from Boro v Brighton fixture in the Final, if we get there. Brighton have lost 5 games, Boro have lost 9 games. Boro are more likely to be beaten (not particularly by us though). COYR

46 minutes ago, eddie said:

Each bullet-point about Brighton is a half-truth.

I put them together especially for our Brighton-based half-fan.

If you are referring to me Eddie you are not even half right.  No longer Brighton based, and I am a quarter-fan at most. Will be at the Amex on Monday though to cheer the lads on, and am really looking forward to seeing 29000 trudge home after the game with eyeliner running down their cheeks.

7 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

If you are referring to me Eddie you are not even half right.  No longer Brighton based, and I am a quarter-fan at most. Will be at the Amex on Monday though to cheer the lads on, and am really looking forward to seeing 29000 trudge home after the game with eyeliner running down their cheeks.

Bloody hell, you're going to an away match.

Let nobody call you a half fan again.

1 hour ago, Strange yearnings said:

I'll be there but in the Brighton end so must remember not to leap up if (when) we score

...often

They are fragile enough for us to do some damage but this should be a Brighton win as we are dodgy away from home and they have more to play for, Martin will get his customary goal against them at the very least. 

They must be kicking themselves though as they were running away with it until that slump mid season. Now they are having to scrap for it. 

The museum on Brighton seafront has some amazing monochrome pictures of the once famous Harrison's music bar in Brighton. The reason for the bars demise remains a mystery as when questioned, the vast majority of the good folk of Brighton said they liked it up the Harris 

Not optimistic of a good result now, Robert MADley is in charge. Sent Martin off at Burnley, can see him being very controversial in decisions. If  Brighton don't get a penalty I'll be amazed.He's wielded 5 red cards this season He reffed us when we played Forest and he sent Blackstock off.He seems to love being centre stage when hes on the telly. Tread carefully lads, don't let him spoil the play offs for us. 

1 hour ago, kingsy1884 said:

They are fragile enough for us to do some damage but this should be a Brighton win as we are dodgy away from home and they have more to play for, Martin will get his customary goal against them at the very least. 

They must be kicking themselves though as they were running away with it until that slump mid season. Now they are having to scrap for it. 

They were never running away with it, even when they were 22 games unbeaten. Too many draws meant that they never shook off the chasers.

Archived