Library presentation help

AmericanRam

Hello everybody.

I am currently working on a presentation for a library conference I am attending next month in Houston.

If you want to help,if you could answer some of these questions,it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot. :) :

In general,how much in a month do you or someone in your family visit your local library?

When you or someone in your family do visit the local library,what is the reason for said visit? Check out books? Get on the Internet? Something else?

Do you feel your local library is needed? If so why? Or if not,why not?

Any programs you would like to see your local library do if they do not do currently? Examples being things such as computer courses, literacy help,etc.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not been in a library for about 25 years.

I have the internet nowadays, and buy any book I want to read. The library in Derby is only convenient if you're already pottering around town, parking miles away etc.

Sorry I cannot be of greater help AR.

In general,how much in a month do you or someone in your family visit your local library?

When you or someone in your family do visit the local library,what is the reason for said visit? Check out books? Get on the Internet? Something else?

Use the toilet

Possibly, not really in a position to say they are not needed just because I don't use one. I don't use the women's toilets but they are needed.

Any programs you would like to see your local library do if they do not do currently? Examples being things such as computer courses, literacy help,etc.

Have no idea what they do now and to be honest with the Internet I could probably find an online course within minutes.

1) never. I read a lot but I buy the books I read

2) see 1)

3) Yes. Though I can afford to buy books not everybody can and libraries should be there to help those who cannot. In addition though they should be community resources for learning, the internet, music as well as lending books.  It will be sad if they disappear (which, I suspect, in the medium term they will)

4) don't know.  It feels to me that libraries need to reflect the needs of their communities, to be part of the wider educational resource and to fill gaps in what schools and colleges and the internet provide as well as providing entertainment (in its widest sense). It feels to me that councils and librarians are not necessarily the best people to run libraries in the modern age

Do libraries still exist?

Watch , no trace on my personal browsing history that way.

See question one.

Turn them all into a Tesco Express.

1. On average twice a year

2. Generally to find a reference book on a topic I'm interested in at the time, though my last visit was to do some photocopying

3. Must be a need of sort because on the rare occasion I do visit there's usually quite a few people in there, though most are on computers. Not many browsing the bookshelves

4. Wider selection of CD's and DVD's. More info on local events, clubs, charities etc. I guess they're quite costly to run and given that I see fewer and fewer people going in for books, it's arguable that some of them could be closed and replaced by internet cafe-type services, with book availability being more centralised. Do mobile libraries still offer value for money, if they ever did?

surely these stats will be skewed due to funding differences between the UK/USA, I used to love walking down to my local Library unfortunately my council deemed it no longer viable, I reduced my council tax payments by £50 per year and I am due to go court over it :)

Archived