754 drivers fined on Raynesway

rammieib

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, because I've been done a while back. 

It's between the roundabout where you've got the petrol station, Co Op and the dentist? Down to the traffic lights where the A6 comes onto Raynesway.

Easy way to explain it to you rammieib is the bloke with the camera sits opposite the street I live on. As you pull out of Alvaston St onto Raynesway he's usually right opposite.

Obviously people come off the A6/Raynesway and around past the Blue Jay doing 50mph and then sail down that first Alvaston stretch doing 35+. 

There's no speed signs but as you'll know if you go on the speed awareness course it's got bloody street lights so that means it's 30mph unless stated otherwise (or some such rubbish)

I've never seen an accident on that stretch. Lived in this area of Alvaston most my life. Maybe there are accidents. 

But it just seems to me a bit of a dirty way to catch people coming of a 50mph dual carriageway onto a 30mph dual carriageway.

I got caught doing 37. Most people I know have been caught for similar sort of speeds. 

Should go on the road on Derby Commercial Park which leads off Blue Jay Island... All the way up to where I work at Kuenhe Nagel... "We" as in the Royal we tend to hit some speed on that road by the fact nothing else uses it...

On 25/12/2015 at 23:41, davenportram said:

use that a lot on Sundays, but never seen van. Mind you doesn't that bit from past the blue jay have lights before you get to Alvaston. I always hit them on red so slow down anyway.

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

Thanks Alpha. Never seen a police van there which is probably lucky for me.

The A6 in shard low is a con one as well, long straight section. Fields either side, completely ridiculous having a thirty zone so very easy for the Gov to earn some money.

It's a bloke on a motorbike with a hairdryer. Sometimes hidden by parked cars in the slip road bit. 

14 hours ago, Alpha said:

It's a bloke on a motorbike with a hairdryer. Sometimes hidden by parked cars in the slip road bit. 

11 hours ago, rammieib said:

Got to ask th moral and legal year questions on the legality of this now.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/police-admit-hiding-speed-cameras-to-try-and-catch-speeding-motorists-a6672226.html

Police have admitted to hiding cameras in farm vehicles despite government advice that says vehicles with mobile speed cameras should be “clearly identifiable as an enforcement vehicle”.

Yes they can hide.

ALHPA - get your facts right!!! Your claim "There's no speed signs" shows just how observant you and the rest of the bunch who got caught are. (from Chad) the Alvaston exit takes you on a sweeping L/H bend (which coincidentally a car failed to negotiate a few months ago - it went over the crash barrier and rolled almost to the on slip for Shardlow! next time you're passing take a look at the section of the offside barrier they had to replace) then you come to the roundabout at the Blue Jay entrance where you will find 2 x 30 signs. (The by pass exit for Alvo from the Shardlow direction also has 30 signs).

A least 8 cars have rolled since the bypass opened, 5 of them in the last 2 years - one a near fatality. 3 sets of traffic lights have been wiped out. The pedestrian lights also presents a hazard (petrol station end). Motorist cane it past the blue peter (where there are also 2 x 30 signs) past Birds then onto Raynesway regardless of the ped lights.

Park up for 1/2 hour and judge for yourself

16 hours ago, Derbygeeza said:

ALHPA - get your facts right!!! Your claim "There's no speed signs" shows just how observant you and the rest of the bunch who got caught are. (from Chad) the Alvaston exit takes you on a sweeping L/H bend (which coincidentally a car failed to negotiate a few months ago - it went over the crash barrier and rolled almost to the on slip for Shardlow! next time you're passing take a look at the section of the offside barrier they had to replace) then you come to the roundabout at the Blue Jay entrance where you will find 2 x 30 signs. (The by pass exit for Alvo from the Shardlow direction also has 30 signs).

A least 8 cars have rolled since the bypass opened, 5 of them in the last 2 years - one a near fatality. 3 sets of traffic lights have been wiped out. The pedestrian lights also presents a hazard (petrol station end). Motorist cane it past the blue peter (where there are also 2 x 30 signs) past Birds then onto Raynesway regardless of the ped lights.

I haven't driven down Raynesway for donkeys years but it must be quite clear to everyone that, given that over 750 drivers have been caught speeding some, no doubt, at only just over the limit, that the warning signs/paintwork/police cameras are not doing their job properly.

if the object of the exercise is to slow drivers down so that there are fewer accidents then it isn't working.

If the police were genuinely interested in slower cars they would stand before the accident spot to slow cars down, rather than after it; if the council/highways people were interested they would redesign the road and road furniture to force cars to slow down and remove hazards.

19 hours ago, Derbygeeza said:

I live about 30 seconds from Raynesway. I pull out onto Raynesway up to 4 times a day and never seen an accident. 

Not going to park there though because I'm not that arsed about it either

The problem is not the road, or the signage, it is the motorist. Vehicles on this stretch of Raynesway passed a 30 sign typically at Keldholm La, Harvey Rd, the Nth & Sth exits etc etc. That means 30 is the limit until the next speed limit sign. There's NO requirement to post the speed limit on Raynesway as there's no change and likewise for 30 repeaters due to streetlamp spacing.

I can't see the cash strapped council providing extra signage where there's no legal obligation, and given that the likes of ALPHA who drive past signs without noticing them I doubt they would be effective! - besides it may also set the precedent for other roads (Traffic St, Bradshaw Way, Lara Croft Way, Mercian Way, Osmaston Rd near Bateman St)

ALPHA et al should be more observant - maybe buy a copy of the highway code or resit the theory test.

2 hours ago, RicME85 said:

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/A5111-traffic-lights-hit-times-crashes/story-28447016-detail/story.html#1

How are people having accidents there? What on earth are they doing to hit the traffic lights? Some awful drivers on the roads.

Significant numbers of drivers (Spondon to Alvaston) ignore the 30 sign adjacent the Blue Jay roundabout. They accelerate uphill, over the bridge (when I’m doing 30 here I’m usually overtaken) and downhill where it’s only too easy for careless drivers to pick up speed – perhaps to beat the next set of lights and find they can’t negotiate the bend near the pedestrian lights. They either crash into the lights or broadside the kerb and the car flips.

Look at the timber fence uprights near the pedestrian lights (Alvaston St side) – anyone on the path at this point would have been killed.

Maybe now people will stop referring to speed enforcement as a cash cow and to those who have been caught speeding then you’re well deserving of the penalty.

The only accidents I've seen is the ones on the Shardlow roundabout... Cars approach to fast and spin... Never ever seen a accident at the Blue Jay roundabout... And there's plenty of lorries knocking around there 

Archived