Pay up Pompey

vicky-27

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Football debts get paid first. And noone knows how much of the transfer fee is still outstanding it might be more than 50% or less than 50%

I get the impression that the revenue are not impressed by that situation.

I think I read that the majority of this debt is unpaid tax. Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't that give the revenue the casting vote on any CVA? I can see them refusing anything less than 100% and being happy to see Portsmouth liquidated to make a point.

Oh dear - and they've not even paid their leccy bill? Shall we have a whip round so they can afford to put a bob in't meter?

What a sorry state of affairs, the players can forget their wages for another month then.

Portsmouth have gone into administration for the second time in as many years.

[size=3]The Championship club were placed into administration at a High Court hearing on Friday after they were issued with a winding-up petition by HM Revenue and Customs on 3 January.[/size]

[size=3]HMRC wanted the Championship club wound up over a tax bill of £1.6million that is yet to be paid.[/size]

[size=3]Pompey were desperate to avoid footballing extinction and their application to go into administration has been granted[/size]

[size=3][url=http://topics.skysports.com/portsmouth/?section=football]Portsmouthhttp://static.lingospot.com/spot/image/spacer will now be handed 10-point deduction from the Football League which will leave them in 21st place in the table just above the drop zone.[/size]

[size=3]Pompey were plunged into another financial crisis after their parent company, Convers Sports Initiatives (CSI), went into administration in November.[/size]

[size=3]In February 2010 Portsmouth became the first Premier League club to enter administration and were deducted nine points, condemning them to relegation and they now face another fight to avoid dropping out of the Championship.[/size]

[size=3]& now Mandaric is interested in buying out rangers haha [/size]

Jeremy Keith?

Surely there needs to be a re-write to the rules stating that if a club goes into admin twice within 5 years. Maybe 15 point deduction the 2nd time?

The rules for the first time need re-writing too. They went down after admin, but still had lots of players last season who couldn't have been cheap. I'm sure Varney didn't go there on minimum wage when he could of got paid at Derby. One of Preston, Scunny or Sheff United went down because Pompey were obviously paying players who they couldn't afford in pretty much the short term future.

I don't know much about how admin works, but it seems to be you can hold onto your overpaid players on 10k per week which what got you into the mess in the first place but you don't have to pay the small business round the corner who will go under if they don't get the 10k owed to them.

Maybe there could be a fund that pays off the players for the rest of their contract but only up to a maximum level. So if a div 2 club goes into admin, the players get their contract paid out in full if they are say on under 1k a week, anyone over 1k gets that per week as a maximum.

Then if a big club goes into admin, rather than loads of businesses going to the wall, the players just get 1k a week for the rest of the contract and they are free agents. Same with other staff.

The club can they pay off creditors if possible and have an enforced wage cap/transfer embargo until they are financially sustainable again.

The Championship club faces being penalised at least 10 points, but could be docked as many as 20.

[...]

And, although Pompey are set to be docked 10 points for going into administation, they could lose further points at the discretion of the Football League as a result of it happening for the second time in such a short period of time.

Remarkably, this is the third time Portsmouth have gone into administration in recent years. The club also went into administration in December 1998, prior to being taken over by the Serbian businessman Milan Mandaric.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16943651

Cheers, just found it.

Doubt it will happen as it is at the football leagues discretion and I can't see them turning the screw farther. If they do get relegated I hope it isn't at the expense of keeping Forest up but if they do go down and Forest still fail to survive it will be hilarious!

Cheers, just found it.

Doubt it will happen as it is at the football leagues discretion and I can't see them turning the screw farther. If they do get relegated I hope it isn't at the expense of keeping Forest up but if they do go down and Forest still fail to survive it will be hilarious!

Coventry have started to win a few now.

I wonder how many of those crowing about Pompey's administration criticise our board for their lack of perceived investment in the playing squad and the situation with the likes of Paul Green, Kris Commons etc?

We might not be happy with the lack of multi-million pound signings but we're a lot happier than fans at certain other clubs.

If Deloittes are to be believed, as I'm sure they are, Pompey are one of several Championship clubs who could be in serious financial difficulty in the next couple of years.

Archived