Next target on our list: Patience

cosmic

Wow. This summer has brought with it the most exciting transfer window Derby fans have seen in some time. We’ve got most of our first-choice targets - the type of quality we would have only dreamt of a few years ago, and retained the key members of an already talented squad. I think it’s safe to say we have a squad of players more than capable of getting promotion this season, and the pressure is definitely on Paul Clement to make this squad realise its potential.

Something I think we need to keep in mind, however, is this is almost a completely new squad to the one we watched demolish Brighton in the play-offs, playing that confident, expansive attacking football. 18 months ago, we were flying high with a close-knit group of players and a team spirit driving us towards the Premier League. Cut to now, and only a handful of players in that starting 11 would be on our team sheet now:

Grant (Carson)

Wisdom (Baird)

Keogh

Buxton (Shackell)

Forsyth

Hendrick (Johnson)

Thorne

Hughes (Butterfield)

Russell

Martin

Ward (Ince)

Add to that Pearce, Bent, and Weimann, and the players who joined post-Wembley season, and you can see the Derby County dressing room is a different place entirely.

Players need time to settle. Squads need time to gel. A new manager needs time to get his ideas across. We won’t (and haven’t) hit the ground running. Managing a team with so many new faces is tough for any manager. The fans need to be patient and let the coaching staff do their thing. Let’s not start pointing fingers until we’ve given this NEW squad enough time to reach those dizzy heights of May 2014.

And more importantly, whatever happens, let's just enjoy this very positive and exciting time at our football club.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good that the latest newcomers are talented Brits that can put in a shift and affect a match. They have been successful and influential at previous clubs.

Some 'foreign spice' is all very nice, and an experienced Prem campaigner or two in the autumn of their careers can add experience - but Johnson & Butterfield have proved consistent performers at Championship level, so I am optimistic that they'll know what a 46-game slog is all about.

Good that the latest newcomers are talented Brits that can put in a shift and affect a match. They have been successful and influential at previous clubs.

Some 'foreign spice' is all very nice, and an experienced Prem campaigner or two in the autumn of their careers can add experience - but Johnson & Butterfield have proved consistent performers at Championship level, so I am optimistic that they'll know what a 46-game slog is all about.

So other than Weimann and Albentosa, what other players AREN'T talented Brits? Or does our Irish contingent count as 'foreign spice'?

I was posting in the context of today's business, (the phrase: 'latest newcomers' was a bit of a clue...) and it doesn't seem I referred to other British players (or R o I for that matter) on our books as untalented. One or two might not fit into Clement's plans, though, IMHO.

Albentosa hasn't exactly spiced the place up, though (sadly); I'm sure Weimann will prove his worth over the season.

Wow. This summer has brought with it the most exciting transfer window Derby fans have seen in some time. We’ve got most of our first-choice targets - the type of quality we would have only dreamt of a few years ago, and retained the key members of an already talented squad. I think it’s safe to say we have a squad of players more than capable of getting promotion this season, and the pressure is definitely on Paul Clement to make this squad realise its potential.

Something I think we need to keep in mind, however, is this is almost a completely new squad to the one we watched demolish Brighton in the play-offs, playing that confident, expansive attacking football. 18 months ago, we were flying high with a close-knit group of players and a team spirit driving us towards the Premier League. Cut to now, and only a handful of players in that starting 11 would be on our team sheet now:

Grant (Carson)

Wisdom (Baird)

Keogh

Buxton (Shackell)

Forsyth

Hendrick (Johnson)

Thorne

Hughes (Butterfield)

Russell

Martin

Ward (Ince)

Add to that Pearce, Bent, and Weimann, and the players who joined post-Wembley season, and you can see the Derby County dressing room is a different place entirely.

Players need time to settle. Squads need time to gel. A new manager needs time to get his ideas across. We won’t (and haven’t) hit the ground running. Managing a team with so many new faces is tough for any manager. The fans need to be patient and let the coaching staff do their thing. Let’s not start pointing fingers until we’ve given this NEW squad enough time to reach 

And more importantly, whatever happens, let's just enjoy thi

Great post, even though we've spent double the amount this summer as Arsenal, I'm prepared to wait 3 years for Champions League football at the Ipro.

£20 million since the end of last season.  This is the kind of investment in players we haven't seen at Derby since the early years of Lionel Pickering, when we signed the likes of Short, Kitson and Gabbiadini for what were sizable fees at the time.

I wonder what McClaren would have achieved last season if he'd had this kind of money available.

Patience is needed but on the other hand, if a team that could arguably have gone up in both the last two seasons can't get automatic promotion with this kind of investment on top then serious questions need to be asked.

Yep at the end of the day it's still a team game and there's plenty of cases where 11 individuals are chucked together and don't fit the style of the manager or the style of each other. Leicester went through it. QPR went through it. Liverpool, Chelsea even. 

I think Johnson and Butterfield will slot right into our style. Especially Butterfield who's played against us a lot and he's an intelligent player. 

But we playing fast and attacking football doesn't just happen. Instinctive partnerships need to develop and that takes time.

I don't expect it all to come together on day 1 but no matter what you say now some people will. They'll be fuming if there isn't a noticeable improvement instantly. 

I do expect us to look the part by May though. We have the players. The identity was put in place before Clement arrived. Let's hope for a constant improvement from now on. 

£20 million since the end of last season.  This is the kind of investment in players we haven't seen at Derby since the early years of Lionel Pickering, when we signed the likes of Short, Kitson and Gabbiadini for what were sizable fees at the time.

I wonder what McClaren would have achieved last season if he'd had this kind of money available.

Patience is needed but on the other hand, if a team that could arguably have gone up in both the last two seasons can't get automatic promotion with this kind of investment on top then serious questions need to be asked.

Someone will have to post the data to confirm but to my knowledge there has never been a summer window like this for us. Ever. 

So other than Weimann and Albentosa, what other players AREN'T talented Brits? Or does our Irish contingent count as 'foreign spice'?

Haha, this just reminded me of last year when I was playing FIFA, and as Hendrick is classed as being foreign on there, said he wanted to leave Derby as he couldn't understand the language and didn't like the culture! 

Haha, this just reminded me of last year when I was playing FIFA, and as Hendrick is classed as being foreign on there, said he wanted to leave Derby as he couldn't understand the language and didn't like the culture! 

Happened to everyone I know! He doesn't like the food apparently!

Archived