HM Forces (current or ex) forum members

StockholmRam

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had my dreams crushed on week 20 of P Coy, my knee gave way on the final 8 tests. Was asked to look at other army careers but at the time I was young and naive, paras or nothing so off I went...

My job are pushing for more of us to join the reserves and are giving additional leave to those that do, tempting.

What was the name of the square where the old recruiting office was? The RN/Royal Marines office was there too. And a fab record shop called Selectordisc... The entry to the square was from London Rd..im guessing it was about where Marks and Spencers in ITU centre is now.

main centre?

After I left school I went to enlist (It was a life I knew inside-out, because my father was a Sapper for 22 years, ended up as RSM). At my interview somewhere up in Nottinghamshire (Worksop I think), I was persuaded to go in for Officer selection (not my original intention). I spent 6 months getting really fit, preparing for a 3-day stay at Westbury where we were put through our paces - classroom sessions, practical and theoretical problem-solving (i.e. getting a platoon across a valley using a matchbox, a ball of string and a jelly), bloody assault course - all the usual 'team-building' stuff.

I got turned down - hardly surprising really because I have never been a 'leader' of any description, so why I ever allowed myself to be put forward for officer selection I will never know.

That rings a bell Ramnut... but im sure it was " something..." square.. was a long time ago.

It was definitely 'The Main Centre' - also known as Castlefields

Might start a topic for current or ex Construction Workers :ph34r:

My upmost respect for all of you though, a have and had family in the Armed Forces and proud of the people who serve today.

Wouldn't get into it personally as I think politicians treat them like cattle to quote Charlie Chaplin

Might start a topic for current or ex Construction Workers :ph34r:

My upmost respect for all of you though, a have and had family in the Armed Forces and proud of the people who serve today.

Wouldn't get into it personally as I think politicians treat them like cattle to quote Charlie Chapliny

You migh as well qUte bill hicks.... but I won't go there 

Dad was in the Navy, we lived in Portsmouth for a period of time whilst he was on HMS Newcastle. Later moved to Helston as he was based at RNAS Culdrose. Was flight crew on a number of squadrons, even did a stint on the soon to be defunct 771 search and rescue squadron. He was part of the team that brought the EH101 Merlin into service to. Did some time on RFA Argus and HMS Ark Royal, was on board when the flight deck was penetrated during a training session by an RAF Harrier back in the early Nineties.

Dad was in the Navy, we lived in Portsmouth for a period of time whilst he was on HMS Newcastle. Later moved to Helston as he was based at RNAS Culdrose. Was flight crew on a number of squadrons, even did a stint on the soon to be defunct 771 search and rescue squadron. He was part of the team that brought the EH101 Merlin into service to. Did some time on RFA Argus and HMS Ark Royal, was on board when the flight deck was penetrated during a training session by an RAF Harrier back in the early Nineties.

is penetration the polite way of saying a crap landing?

`ARK ROYAL' WAS BOMBED BY RAF HARRIER PILOT By Christopher Bellamy, Defence Correspondent The Royal Navy launched an inquiry yesterday into how a Royal Air Force pilot bombed its most modern carrier, Ark Royal, on Monday, missing the intended target by 500 yards. Navy sources said that one of the two RAF pilots flying with the Royal Navy during the exercise had applied to transfer to the senior service. It is not clear if the incident will affect that move. The Ministry of Defence said such an accident had never happened before but refused to speculate how the Sea Harrier 1 from Ark Royal missed the target towed behind the ship and, according to the MoD, put the bomb through the flight deck. Six sailors were hurt, one seriously, and five were still in the Royal Naval Hospital Haslar, Portsmouth, yesterday. However, it is almost certain that the plane was practising an attack using the "offset" procedure. It is possible that the RAF pilot of the Navy plane failed to press the button to switch from a reference point - the carrier - to the target. "Offset" is used where the target may be difficult to see, but its position relative to a clear reference point is known. The practice bomb has the same flight characteristics as a real one but carries only a small explosive charge to mark where it lands. The charge exploded inside the carrier, starting a small fire. Under the offset procedure, the plane's computers make the calculations needed to adjust the bomb's trajectory from the "false" target to the real one. The Sea Harrier pilot lines up on the ship from about five miles and 250 feet above the water. Flying towards the ship he then tells the computer to attack the "splash target", towed 500 to 1,000 yards behind, while still flying at the ship. The attack must be carried out from the beam, or the computer software will automatically prevent bomb release. At the optimum height, speed and distance the computer tells the pilot to pull up and release the bomb. Paul Beaver, publisher of Jane's Defence Weekly, said: "It does rely on the pilot to press the button to switch from the mock target to the real one." On Monday, the button may not have been pressed or the computer may have malfunctioned, and the bomb went into the reference point - Ark Royal - instead of into the target. The practice bomb hit the carrier about one third of the way aft of the ski-jump and slightly to port, reportedly penetrating the flight deck and exploding in the mess deck below. But Mr. Beaver said he was "very surprised" to hear the bomb had penetrated the flight deck. At that trajectory, he said, it was more likely to have bounced off - unless it went into the ship's side.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived