One week to go. Confident?

Kernow

At the start of last season I was more than just eagerly awaiting battle to commence because (Wembley apart) we had a stable club playing exciting football. This time round it is just so much better. The signings we have made are excellent and the obvious gelling that has taken place in preseason is very encouraging. We have seen positive improvement with each game which speaks volumes for PC's abilities. Utrecht and Villareal friendly or not are serious teams and we matched them in open play. In Villa reals case I suggest that is premier league quality because I saw no punches pulled between 2 competitive football teams with skilled players. 

Last year I felt that we had our best starting 11 and preferred way to play which was better than good, but if all the boxes weren't ticked we might struggle. This time round I sense we have the capacity to adapt when our "ideal" isn't available both in terms of tactics or personnel. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm more confident about the coming season than any I can remember since the Jim Smith era.  

On paper (and yes I am aware the beautiful game is not traditionally played on that surface!) we probably have the strongest squad (along with Boro's) in the division. Our strikers and attacking mifielders are the best in the league and we are stronger at the back with the additions of Shackell, Baird and Pearce and the promising pre season performances of Ssewankambo. George Thorne will also seem like a new signing this campaign.  

I like what I see and hear from Clement and if he settles quickly into his new role and successfully imposes his tactics and ideas onto the squad then I see no reason why the club can't be in with a very realistic shout of automatic promotion. 

My only concern is, this amount of confidence + it not going as well as everyone is hoping = Clement and co get attacked towards the end of the year. 

This forum was the definition of realism at the appointment of Clement, most admitted that Play-Offs may be the best we can hope for under a new coach who is brand new to the role. A few (high quality) signings later and suddenly we're bookies favourites and everyone's sure we'll get top 2.

I'm not saying I'm not confident either, I am, I'm just concerned about the reaction if it doesn't go as well as we all hope.

It would be better for all if we just walk the league and be done with it.

My only concern is, this amount of confidence + it not going as well as everyone is hoping = Clement and co get attacked towards the end of the year. 

This forum was the definition of realism at the appointment of Clement, most admitted that Play-Offs may be the best we can hope for under a new coach who is brand new to the role. A few (high quality) signings later and suddenly we're bookies favourites and everyone's sure we'll get top 2.

I'm not saying I'm not confident either, I am, I'm just concerned about the reaction if it doesn't go as well as we all hope.

It would be better for all if we just walk the league and be done with it.

Exactly this. We aren't going to be storming to the top straight away, in all probability, so we need to keep the expectations in check and give Clement plenty of time. We now appear to have plans B and C on the field, which is great, but it's going to take a while for the players to rehearse their roles and mistakes are going to be made along the way - both by individual players and by Clement.

Yes Wolfie .. Need to keep powder dry, keep calm and keep playing football even if early season errors peg us back a little.

this is a 46 game season with 138 points on the table. .. But today, with Saturday looming I feel like we will get 3 straight wins. .. Yeahhhhhh COYR 

(shuffles through excuse book for early season mishaps .. "Still gelling and bedding in" "right attitude but unlucky with chances" "told you we needed a quick young striker" "defence panicked for the equaliser" "ref had a shocker" "we would have won if Hector had started" "why aren't we playing 1-2-4-1-2 everyone knows it's our best set up" 

Archived