Phone Fraud

i-Ram

The BBC Report that £23.6m has been lost in a year to a phone scam that encourages people to put money into a fraudster's account. The con is the most widespread phone scam in the UK, according to Financial Fraud Action (FFA). Victims receive a call from somebody pretending to be from their bank, claiming their accounts have been hit by fraud. They are then encouraged to switch funds to a "safe account" which is then drained by the fraudster.  The story sounds more plausible because the con-artist uses technology to put a false caller number on the victim's phone display, matching a bank's phone number.  Account information stolen from elsewhere might also be used to make the call seem more genuine.

Has anyone on here been scammed in such a way?

If anyone has, and would like guaranteed recovery of the monies, plus 5% on top, please deposit £500 in account 401844 67596413 and then call 07988 979299 to share the details of your experience.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes there should be a sticky regarding scams that are circulating, the amount of scams targeting OAP's is a disgrace, it is getting easier to scam people, soft phones with no tracing, IP mimicking software, VPN, the government have no real knowledge of what is happening.

yes there should be a sticky regarding scams that are circulating, the amount of scams targeting OAP's is a disgrace, it is getting easier to scam people, soft phones with no tracing, IP mimicking software, VPN, the government have no real knowledge of what is happening.

Is this what you meant by owning your own financial company?

One of the newest and most effective is when they ring up and say they're DC.... from metropolitan police CID. They then go on to say that police have stopped a male in possession of blank bank cards, high tec equipment and a list of account details including theirs. They then ask them to put their card in an envelope with the card details inside and say they'll send a DC round to pick it up. 

If they get suspicious they tell them to phone police to confirm and end the call politely. They then stay on the line because most people just dial the number without disconnecting and play a dial tone down the phone, pass it to their female friend who confirms they're police and the boll*cks they've told them. 

Then they send a detective round in a suit, lay it on thick, put the card in a fake evidence bag and rinse it dry. 

Bank and cash in transit robberies have plummeted, they're making more money than ever sat in their boxers eating cornflakes tapping away on phones and laptops.

They pass everything on to a firm called action fraud so it's not recorded. Nice try Theresa. 

somebody rang my missus the other day regarding a security flaw on my windows pc, i said you plum its a Imac, she passed the phone onto me and I was laughing my tits off, I was trying to drill down to the nuts and bolts of the problem and it was unbelievable, so here we go..

they were calling from Microsoft :

Scam: hello sirs (indian accent), we have noticed your sir have a security problem with your computer, we would like to do a security sweep of your computer for you sir.

Me: where are you calling from ?

Scam: Microsoft

Me: which office ?

Scam: Portsmouth

Me: Could you tell me where Portsmouth is in the UK ?

Scam: Near Birmingham ?

Me: OK, thanks for clearing that up

Scam: we noticed you run windows 8 ?

Me: no I use an Imac (missus uses an imac for work)

Scam: ok sir, no problem we can clear your Imac for you, for £39 we can make your imac run very quick.

Me: you said you were from Microsoft ?

Scam: put the phone down

Had one a while ago.

Them : Hi, we can see that your are on the internet and have a flaw in your security.

Me : Really, my broadband is downat the minute so I cant be on the internet

Them : Sir seriously your laptop is insecure, we can tell because we are connected to it right now.

Me : Really? How have you connected to a laptop that is turned off because the Broadband to my house is not working at the moment

Them :because we are really clever, and if you give us some money we can fix your broadband and laptop

Me : Your full of **** and hung up

The dosey ******* rang me back too

Bloody fraudsters....i had an indian one - same as davs - which i didn't fall for. 

Shocked me though as i assumed all indians either played cricket, ate vegetarian food or were kind to cows. I could hardly believe the country had scumbag fraudsters.

so far i've had three credit card scams too.

one by someone in manchester had managed to convince the bank that i'd moved to manchester and then requested a new card.

then someone in india was driving around buying petrol on my card number but in the name of a former  indian prime minister.......turned out to be where Aviva have a call centre.

.....and just recently some fecker in the ukraine was spending heavily on my card.

Unfortunately for daveo's donation fund thats why i don't use it on line unless its essential.

someone in india was driving around buying petrol on my card number but in the name of a former  indian prime minister.

Odd and coincidental. Someone in India was buying on my card number, and in the name of a former prime minister too. Mine was Vajpayee - what was yours?

I had one a long time ago pretty well the same as you guys, the very rich Bangalore accent, simply amazing how many Indian people working for Microsoft are called Clive or Martin or Terrence - must be a prerequisite of their employment.

I had one a long time ago pretty well the same as you guys, the very rich Bangalore accent, simply amazing how many Indian people working for Microsoft are called Clive or Martin or Terrence - must be a prerequisite of their employment.

I am always wary of those who make up that they have two r's in their name Terence. I find most Terrence's a bit false, it is almost like they have erred in the way they have constructed their made-up name. Not all Terrence's of course.  We should stamp on that right away. Not all Terrence's are fraudsters. No.  All Indians are though.

I am always wary of those who make up that they have two r's in their name Terence. I find most Terrence's a bit false, it is almost like they have erred in the way they have constructed their made-up name. Not all Terrence's of course.  We should stamp on that right away. Not all Terrence's are fraudsters. No.  All Indians are though.

I bet his real name was Rranjit.

Know quite a few people that have had their cards used abroad buying plane tickets. Never been done myself tho but that's because I have a fraud proof plan.

Don't have a credit card and spend all your money down the pub as soon as it enters your account. The card would get declined if they tried to buy a 10p chomp.

Despite me regularly using my card for flights etc and using it abroad - without notifying the card company (MBNA), the only time I've been contacted to check purchases (possible fraudulent use) is twice when I've bought a dozen or so shirts from M&S to have logos put on them for work. Once they even phoned me while I was on holiday in the Maldives to check M&S spending at Meadowhall before I went. The fact that I'd also used my card several times in the Maldives didn't seem to ring any alarm bells with them.

Despite me regularly using my card for flights etc and using it abroad - without notifying the card company (MBNA), the only time I've been contacted to check purchases (possible fraudulent use) is twice when I've bought a dozen or so shirts from M&S to have logos put on them for work. Once they even phoned me while I was on holiday in the Maldives to check M&S spending at Meadowhall before I went. The fact that I'd also used my card several times in the Maldives didn't seem to ring any alarm bells with them.

The only time I was ever contacted was when I was at Makro, spending £90.

The same day I had spent £10,000 on a car with not a murmur.

Archived