England v New Zealand L/O/ game

Ovis aries

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well played Jonny Bairstow. Made up for the brainless batting up top.

The ones at the top just went out with exactly the same intent as Bairstow and Billings did - they had to with such a steep ask. It's only 'brainless' if the ball goes to hand - and for the top order, it did.

The ones at the top just went out with exactly the same intent as Bairstow and Billings did - they had to with such a steep ask. It's only 'brainless' if the ball goes to hand - and for the top order, it did.

Indeed. Bairstow could have been out a couple of times. Santner won't sleep tonight after dropping that gaper.

Indeed. Bairstow could have been out a couple of times. Santner won't sleep tonight after dropping that gaper.

Yes - but who's to say that Rashid wouldn't have put them to the sword then given what he did earlier in the series.

This is a fantastic batting line-up for this form of cricket, and this has been a brilliant ODI series.

I reckon either side will need 200+ to stand a chance in the T20 on Tuesday.

Not entirely true. Hales and Root can get off with your excuse but the other three were brainless. When you play aggressively, you're going to get out cheaply on occasion, but there's a smart way of going about it. 

Morgan - Trying to hit his first ball for six was brainless and unnecessary. 

Stokes - Had just hit the first two balls of the over for four, no need.

Roy - Who knows what he was thinking

Not entirely true. Hales and Root can get off with your excuse but the other three were brainless. When you play aggressively, you're going to get out cheaply on occasion, but there's a smart way of going about it. 

Morgan - Trying to hit his first ball for six was brainless and unnecessary. 

Stokes - Had just hit the first two balls of the over for four, no need.

Roy - Who knows what he was thinking

Over-ambitious, perhaps, but Morgan and Stokes especially have been in such fantastic form in this series that we - okay, I - am prepared to overlook the occasional indiscretion.

Really looking forward to today's game. Hope the rain doesn't ruin it.

Good luck to Bairstow. Probably a better keeper than Buttler. Not as good as a batsman but an effective hitter. Coming in when the ball is older and (assuming a good batting wicket) he may just spring a surprise.

You heard it here first!

NZ score 283 at 5.66 per over.

England then have to score 192 at 7.38 per over.

Don't you just love lewis/Duckworth.

There has to be a bigger element of risk added if a side is set fewer runs. There's a much higher chance of a team being bowled out for less than 283 than there is being bowled out for 192. Therefore a loading has to be applied. It is also far easier to sustain 5.9 per over for 26 overs than it is for 50 overs so the target is revised.

I think the DL method worked out about right on this occasion. it only gets complicated when it rains during the second innings and the target has to be recalibrated (in my opinion of course!).

There has to be a bigger element of risk added if a side is set fewer runs. There's a much higher chance of a team being bowled out for less than 283 than there is being bowled out for 192. Therefore a loading has to be applied. It is also far easier to sustain 5.9 per over for 26 overs than it is for 50 overs so the target is revised.

I think the DL method worked out about right on this occasion. it only gets complicated when it rains during the second innings and the target has to be recalibrated (in my opinion of course!).

What about penalising a side that has managed to keep the other team down to 5.66 runs per over for 50 overs ?.

A team that has had two batting power plays .

Archived