England v New Zealand L/O/ game

Ovis aries

PistoldPete2

I always thought Bairstow was unlucky not to play at least in ODIs. Seems a better player than Roy or Bilings, although maybe Billings is in for his potential. Is he a better keeper than Buttler. Can't we play both baiirstow and Buttler?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always thought Bairstow was unlucky not to play at least in ODIs. Seems a better player than Roy or Bilings, although maybe Billings is in for his potential. Is he a better keeper than Buttler. Can't we play both baiirstow and Buttler?

Billings was the catalyst that got the innings going yesterday.

It's worth pointing out here that the overall run rate of 7.15 by both sides is the highest ever achieved in any ODI series of two or more games.

There has to be a bigger element of risk added if a side is set fewer runs. There's a much higher chance of a team being bowled out for less than 283 than there is being bowled out for 192. Therefore a loading has to be applied. It is also far easier to sustain 5.9 per over for 26 overs than it is for 50 overs so the target is revised.

I think the DL method worked out about right on this occasion. it only gets complicated when it rains during the second innings and the target has to be recalibrated (in my opinion of course!).

Here you are. The Duckworth/Lewis methodology. Albert will love it. Probably wrote it actually.

http://www.ecb.co.uk/sites/default/files/3485_nfc_duckworthlewis_2015_p339-352_lr.pdf

Really comprehensive win for England - as soon as the wickets started tumbling they got the squeeze on and New Zealand just fell apart.

Superb stuff we were under the cosh at ninety odd for 2, amazing what a change of mentality can do for a team.

Last 7 wickets read like a phone number.

Archived