Johnny Russell

DCFC1388

In Scotland he played out wide for several seasons and went pretty much unnoticed. He was an average SPL winger - which is probably about bottom of League 1 in England. He then moved to playing as one of a front two and started scoring goals for fun. Suddenly he looked like one of the best players in the Scottish game. We bought him and started playing him out wide again. I'd say he's matured into an average Championship wide player, but we need better if we're going to get promoted. However, we still haven't seen what he can actually do in his best position. If Clement decides to play with two strikers we might yet see Russell as a key player.

So for me, sell him if we're only going to use him as a winger - he's OK, but not brilliant. Keep him if we're going to use him as a striker and give him a chance to prove his worth.

Mac played him up front in the CF role when both Martin and Bent were injured last March/April time - he was hopeless, too easlily pushed off the ball by CB.

For me, much better when he cuts inside on runs and the ball is fed on to him....but he didn't do it enough in the second half of the season.

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mac played him up front in the CF role when both Martin and Bent were injured last March/April time - he was hopeless, too easlily pushed off the ball by CB.

For me, much better when he cuts inside on runs and the ball is fed on to him....but he didn't do it enough in the second half of the season.

That was playing as a lone striker though, rather than feeding off somebody like Martin.

(Also, first post, hi :D)

He then moved to playing as one of a front two and started scoring goals for fun

I've highlighted the important bit. He was asked to play the Martin role for us. Of course he wasn't very good at it. 

He then moved to playing as one of a front two and started scoring goals for fun

I've highlighted the important bit. He was asked to play the Martin role for us. Of course he wasn't very good at it. 

When did he start scoring goals for fun then? I missed that bit!

I7 in 87 games is a shocking return -some people think he worth a few million, no chance!

Look at Ince's goals for game and that why he is worth 4.75 million.

Good player JR is - but a squad type of player i feel  - he is worth what somebody daft enough is willing to pay!

When did he start scoring goals for fun then? I missed that bit!

I7 in 87 games is a shocking return -some people think he worth a few million, no chance!

Look at Ince's goals for game and that why is worth 4.75 million.

103 starts and 45 goals for Dundee. Not a bad return at all. 

Alright then, super rams.

Say you sell JR for £1m.

Who do you get in response, for the same amount or less, who is as good or better than JR?

Tell you what, just to make it slightly easier for you, add in that £250k that we've just won from Sky. 

EDIT: Oh, and I'd forgotten, they will come in knowing they will be at least 3rd choice.

Maybe I am in a minority here, but there is more to supporting a team than just, success. We have played some woeful stuff in the past 6 months, but wonderful stuff in the previous year.  There are certain characters within a team that engender, and amplify, the feelings that you have for the team, and I for one, feel that Johnny Russell represents everything that gives me pleasure in going to watch Derby County. Yes, he isn't the best player we have, but personally,  having employed significant numbers of people over the past 35 years, I have to say that it is important to get the mix right, rather than necessarily keep replacing people because someone may be marginally better.

The feeling of togetherness that existed at the end of the previous season, fans, and players, even though we lost at Wembley,  was the sort of thing that gives me the greatest satisfaction. I would be happier watching, and being a part of that, rather than, success at all costs.

Are you for real or just trolling?

To be fair the Scottish Premier is easier to score in than League Two, let alone the Championship. From what I've seen I'd actually rate it easier for strikers than the A-league. That said, we don't need to rely on his Dundee days anymore, as Johnny has taken the step up well, and has proven himself to be an effective forward. The goals aren't an issue where and how he plays, but he still contributes in that column. 

Alright then, super rams.

Say you sell JR for £1m.

Who do you get in response, for the same amount or less, who is as good or better than JR?

Tell you what, just to make it slightly easier for you, add in that £250k that we've just won from Sky.

EDIT: Oh, and I'd forgotten, they will come in knowing they will be at least 3rd choice.

If PC wants to release him then he will already have a replacement in mind - after all its PC job.

I personally think we are holding out for more money off Cardiff possibly 1.5m, otherwise PC I would have thought would have killed off the interest completely first time of them making the offer........

Are you for real or just trolling?

No simply stating a fact 17 goals in 87 games is poor even for somebody that has come from the scottish leagues.

You might find that JR does not fit into PC plans for the future, after all he is the new coach and he does have to improve on what Mac did  -he will have his own ideas on who he wants and who he doesn't.......

If PC wants to release him then he will already have a replacement in mind - after all its PC job.

I personally think we are holding out for more money off Cardiff possibly 1.5m, otherwise PC I would have thought would have killed off the interest completely first time of them making the offer........

That's not what I asked.. and its not Clement's job - he will say if he wants a replacement, and the recruitment team will do the rest.

I'll ask again. Who would YOU get for c£1.25m that's as good as, or better than Russell, who will be happy to fight for their place when 3rd choice.

No simply stating a fact 17 goals in 87 games is poor even for somebody that has come from the scottish leagues.

You might find that JR does not fit into PC plans for the future, after all he is the new coach and he does have to improve on what Mac did  -he will have his own ideas on who he wants and who he doesn't.......

You've just moved the goal posts. Ho hum.

Passion will not get us up.........He has to prove his worth on the pitch and last season he went missing.......

passion will get you up... Along side ability, he has both but I agree he did seem lost last season let's hope he gets back on track ey

After the renewed interest from Cardiff I wouldn't take much less then £2m. Would be satisfied with £1.75m with the £250k we won (Thanks Richard) maybe we could spend the £2m on a replacement personally wouldn't like to see him go. Works hard and can provide moments of magic. You know for sure he'll be working hard to cement a first team place.

That's not what I asked.. and its not Clement's job - he will say if he wants a replacement, and the recruitment team will do the rest.

I'll ask again. Who would YOU get for c£1.25m that's as good as, or better than Russell, who will be happy to fight for their place when 3rd choice.

Obviously you have know idea what PC,s role as a coach is!

Who has said we will spend only £1.25 m on his replacement?

You don't even know if the replacement is already under way..............

Archived