Josh Lelan >Northampton Town

DEL

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spotted playing Sunday League in Hilton, good to see he is continuing to make a living playing football. He has always looked decent when I have seen him so hope he still has a future in the game professionally.

​Yes, we have come so far that we still have most of the players that NC left us with. 

​And not a single player from our supposedly "upgraded" youth setup has progressed to anywhere near the first team since he left.

​And not a single player from our supposedly "upgraded" youth setup has progressed to anywhere near the first team since he left.

Upgrading youth setups doesn't result in overnight changes. Hasn't even been two years since Clough left.

​Think that's a bit unfair... There was an article the other day about u-21s with 'first team experience' on the main site the other day...

You're both right. It's too soon to judge the changes, and it's the same guys in charge of the academy. I just wonder if it's actually beneficial to hoover up 17/18 year olds dropped from other academies rather than working to improve our own. I also hope that Clement tries to offer some hope of progression to the first team for the young players. It was tough for McClaren to blood youngsters as we were scrapping for promotion in his two seasons here, but it was incredibly frustrating to see Lingaard drafted in to play bit parts when we have Bennett and Calero waiting in the wings. Same with playing Forsyth out of position when we had Rawson, who'd already played more championship games than Forsyth at centre back, kicking his heels.

You're both right. It's too soon to judge the changes, and it's the same guys in charge of the academy. I just wonder if it's actually beneficial to hoover up 17/18 year olds dropped from other academies rather than working to improve our own. I also hope that Clement tries to offer some hope of progression to the first team for the young players. It was tough for McClaren to blood youngsters as we were scrapping for promotion in his two seasons here, but it was incredibly frustrating to see Lingaard drafted in to play bit parts when we have Bennett and Calero waiting in the wings. Same with playing Forsyth out of position when we had Rawson, who'd already played more championship games than Forsyth at centre back, kicking his heels.

​Hmmm I'm not sure I buy that... Lingard is a 22 yr old with Premier League experience... A guy who started the season in the starting line up of one of the (debates start here) top teams in Europe... Bennett and Calero are promising young wingers who went on loan to League 1/2 clubs...

Our manager made the call that whilst they are good prospects for the future they're not currently good enough to improve our first team... When we're aiming to get promotion I'd rather have players who are good enough RIGHT NOW not players who might be good enough in 6 months...

​Hmmm I'm not sure I buy that... Lingard is a 22 yr old with Premier League experience... A guy who started the season in the starting line up of one of the (debates start here) top teams in Europe... Bennett and Calero are promising young wingers who went on loan to League 1/2 clubs...

Our manager made the call that whilst they are good prospects for the future they're not currently good enough to improve our first team... When we're aiming to get promotion I'd rather have players who are good enough RIGHT NOW not players who might be good enough in 6 months...

​We couldn't get Lingard on the pitch though. If we'd got Lingard as our fourth winger instead of Ince when Ibe was recalled I wouldn't have an issue. When we don't even trust our youngsters to be used as subs or to cover extreme injury crises I have to wonder what hope there is for them.

Also, I'm a pretty strong advocate of the theory that you have to blood young players in the team to help them progress. There simply is no substitute for it. No one can play in the u21 league or go on loan to league 2 and magically come back the finished article. Bennett and Calero's loans this season were unmitigated disasters. Neither managed to break into the team and returned fairly quickly. That doesn't necessarily mean they're bad players. I shudder to think what would've happened to Hughes if we'd sent him for a season in league two instead of gradually introducing him to first team football at Derby.

​We couldn't get Lingard on the pitch though. If we'd got Lingard as our fourth winger instead of Ince when Ibe was recalled I wouldn't have an issue. When we don't even trust our youngsters to be used as subs or to cover extreme injury crises I have to wonder what hope there is for them.

​Except the point is to get players in who will have an impact when brought on... Players who could (on the day) be BETTER than the guy currently on the pitch... Bringing in youngsters just to fill a space on the pitch isn't any use when you're 1 0 down...

​Also, I'm a pretty strong advocate of the theory that you have to blood young players in the team to help them progress. There simply is no substitute for it. 

​I agree with you... However they need to be blooded in games where the outcome is less important to the overall progression of the club... Cup games for instance like the one Calero scored the winner in... The cup games which Roos played... Perfectly happy with that...

I shudder to think what would've happened to Hughes if we'd sent him for a season in league two instead of gradually introducing him to first team football at Derby.

​Hughes came right in because he was good enough... Simple as... We already had enough championship quality Mids at that point and he was played because he was an improvement... Not just to give him game time... 

I really very much hope the youngsters get games WHEN they are good enough... The idea of a team which includes the names Calero, Koblenz, Bunjaku and Alefe Santos makes me weak at the knees :D

​BWO

Archived