SIGNED: Alex Pearce

Cam

Alex Pearce signing prediction  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If we do sign Pearce its because he's out of contract.

he will replace whitbread .

we didn't want him enough to splash the cash last summer or last january.

So we'll wait and see........

Shackell surprised me with how good he was.

Shotton surprised me but for a different reason.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Reading mate told me Pearce is on $20k a week, and really struggled at distribution from he back under Brendan Rodgers and Nigel Adkins - two manaers who tried to get them playing possession football.

They tried to get him to sign a new deal on reduced terms and he turned them down on more than one occasion.

I want to know who has identified him as a possible signing? This came about before Clement got the job.

This, along with Bent, is a transfer which makes me wince. Smacks of a Paul Jewell high wages average player not what we need type of signing.

No going with that. Paul Jewell never signed a player on Bent's quality. Bent got 12 in 15 starts FFS

It's easier to coach a player to pass the ball efficiently than it is to get them to win headers and tackles. For me, Pearce is the type of old-fashioned centre half we need. I am fed up with our inability to defend at corners and free-kicks. We need someone who gets it 30 yards out of the box.

I think he's the type of player Keogh needs alongside him.

PistoldPete2

It's easier to coach a player to pass the ball efficiently than it is to get them to win headers and tackles. For me, Pearce is the type of old-fashioned centre half we need. I am fed up with our inability to defend at corners and free-kicks. We need someone who gets it 30 yards out of the box.

Isn't that why we signed albentosa? Distribution not great but pretty solid 

With a bit of luck,I can see Raul kicking on this season

Will be great to have a manager,who can speak his language,and get points across,which should help him move forward

​I think he needs to become 'one of the lads'. I just didn't get the impression he was welcomed in last year. 

And you're right - having Clement in will help.

It will be between him and Pearce for the big lump role. They are too slow to play together.

​I think this is the core of it. You don't necessarily need two footballing centre halves... yes it would be nice, but we need to be realistic. This is still The Championship. As long as he isn't Mark "Row Z every time I touch it regardless of how much pressure I'm under" O'Brien he will be fine.

​I think he needs to become 'one of the lads'. I just didn't get the impression he was welcomed in last year. 

And you're right - having Clement in will help.

It will be between him and Pearce for the big lump role. They are too slow to play together.

​He was very welcomed in and equally, he joined in with the guys off the pitch. This 'big lump or pace' stuff is nonsense. No. 1 priorities for a central defender is can he read the game? Can he hold his position? Sadly our skipper can't do either, and Shotton can't do the former. I know little about Pearce but would be very happy to go with Albentosa and Buxton as a potential partnership.

But you would agree right that the team that finished the season wasn't good enough to get to the premier league. 

That team was struggling in the championship.

So we need an influx of the right players and the right coaching do you agree.  

Yes

better players. A stimac would be good.

one really good player could probably sort it out at the back.........and a keeper. 

​He was very welcomed in and equally, he joined in with the guys off the pitch. This 'big lump or pace' stuff is nonsense. No. 1 priorities for a central defender is can he read the game? Can he hold his position? Sadly our skipper can't do either, and Shotton can't do the former. I know little about Pearce but would be very happy to go with Albentosa and Buxton as a potential partnership.

​I think Keogh's strength is reading the game. He struggles with the physical stuff and when with an unfamiliar partner. Pace isn't important as long as your partner is quick enough to cover behind you, but when we played Wolves, Albentosa was exposed as dreadfully slow. Obviously I am not behind the scenes, so don't know the vibe there, but on the pitch few speak to him before or during the game.

I agree Shotton is a poor defender and we should move him on.

​I think Keogh's strength is reading the game. He struggles with the physical stuff and when with an unfamiliar partner. Pace isn't important as long as your partner is quick enough to cover behind you, but when we played Wolves, Albentosa was exposed as dreadfully slow. Obviously I am not behind the scenes, so don't know the vibe there, but on the pitch few speak to him before or during the game.

​I think we will have to differ with that one :-)

​If Keogh was good at reading the game he wouldn't need to make all these highlight real last ditch tackles. His positioning would mean he'd make the tackle far further up the field, not in our own area.

Archived