McClaren turns down Newcastle

​you're a disloyal sausage-stirrer, that is all. 

Whilst you're right in terms that these things can and do happen, there's nothing other than mischief-making to prove what you're saying has actually happened.

Why would Rush, having spoken how he has spoken in recent weeks, in the Q&A etc, allow an approach for McClaren after all the denials and pomp? It doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

First the media said it was Monday, then Sunday, now it was Saturday (that McClaren allegedly declined a job offer). Yet the meeting where Carver DIDN'T offer to resign was on Monday.

If Newcastle were offering the job out with a manager still in place, they could be sued.

:lol: OK I'll bite, on what grounds?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​No chance of relegation?. They've lost the last 8 and are 2 points above the drop with an inferior goal difference. Slightly unlikely maybe but everyone below them has winnable games to come.

​They wont go down, for that to happen too many teams below them have go tto pick up points...and uderland play Leicester too so there is points dropped thereand Newcastle however bad they are wont go 11 games on the spin with losing them all..

It would have been the easest job in the world to take.

​I'd love to live in your fantasy world, I really would. I really can't work out whether you are naive, an ostrich as Nigel Pearson would say, or just a wum. 

How do you think deals in business are formulated? By everyone officially confirming every step in public all the time whilst things are being negotiated and discussed? Or for conversations to take place supposedly in private (seemingly impossible in a football club) and then, when things are or aren't agreed, a public statement is made? 

Why would Sam Rush or McClaren or anyone make a public statement every time another chairman, or agent, or representative rings him or a conversation is had? 

Just because McClaren is saying now he is staying doesn't mean he hasn't spoken to someone else about leaving.

Are you a red top comic reader? Or just like insulting people, but hey that is easy to do. Pearson may have said that, however had the good grace to apologise.

​No chance of relegation?. They've lost the last 8 and are 2 points above the drop with an inferior goal difference. Slightly unlikely maybe but everyone below them has winnable games to come.

​2 points should be an insurmountable gap and the only thing that would put you in a stronger position to prevent being overtaken would be a superior goal difference and with only 1 game left.

No team would blow such a position. Oh......wait......

​They have a manager in place. Constructive dismissal.

You're suggesting searching for a replacement before terminating a current employee with valid reason (poor performance) is a case for constructive dismissal?

A lawyer I ain't but I don't think so...

You're suggesting searching for a replacement before terminating a current employee with valid reason (poor performance) is a case for constructive dismissal?

A lawyer I ain't but I don't think so...

​performance is a subjective thing in football, that's why sacked managers get a pay-off and not just dismissal.

yes, there have been cases of constructive dismissal. Although with Carver being on a reported short contract, the pay-off wouldn't be too much. But still, don't be surprised if Ashley sues any newspaper that has said he's approached another manager.

​performance is a subjective thing in football, that's why sacked managers get a pay-off and not just dismissal.

yes, there have been cases of constructive dismissal. Although with Carver being on a reported short contract, the pay-off wouldn't be too much. But still, don't be surprised if Ashley sues any newspaper that has said he's approached another manager.

​Links? Genuinely interested in the circumstances surrounding those cases.

The point in this case is he'd have got his payoff if (lets say the rumours are true here) McClaren had taken the job and certainly he wouldn't have been forced to resign.

I haven't got the time or motivation to do the research, but I recall West Ham being done, Charlton being done, and I think Middlesbrough, and maybe even Liverpool.

West Ham was either Curbishley or Zola, or both. Charlton maybe Les Reed, Boro - Bryan Robson when Venables came in, and Liverpool probably Roy Evans when Houillier came in.

Not sure if the cases went all the way to decisions or whether settled out of court.

I looked into it myself, sorry to ask I was feeling lazy!

The two most high profile seem to be Keegan at Newcastle and Curbishley at West Ham. What they both have in common, and why they're not comparable to Carver or this case, is that things that should have fallen inside the remit of the manager under the terms of their contracts (in Keegan's case player acquisition, Curbishley's player sales) were ignored which forced both men to resign.

Archived