Could a train revive Stoke on Trent?

i-Ram

.... ask the BBC. I have only been to Stoke once (Victoria Ground days, when Hugh Johns was at the top of his game, and I was still hoping that Davenport's might deliver beer in Herefordshire) and in truth it didn't look great. The BBC report:-

The proposed high-speed rail link connecting London to the Midlands, and on to the North, has been the subject of fierce controversy and debate.

Arguments focus on whether the economic benefits of HS2 outweigh any negative impact on the environment and people's homes. 

Many along the projected route desperately want the line moved away from their back yards, but officials in Stoke-on-Trent have fought a sustained campaign to get a HS2 station in their city, arguing that it could bring £200m worth of extra growth to the area every year. 

While far from everybody in the area is behind the campaign, those that are see the line and station as a chance to even out some North-South economic disparity and give a much needed boost to an area once dependent on its ceramics industry.

No final decision has been made, but the route consulted on has a proposed station at Crewe, 15 miles west of Stoke.

So can a train revive Stoke, or are there any other alternatives that you think might make Stoke a bit more appealing?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nimby's are going to kill the HS2

plus it'll only improves the journey times marginally when you factor in the extra time it takes to get to the nearest HS2 hub.

but

we aren't on this thread to talk sense! We want bullshite!  This is what they want!

lets send the HS2 raite through the middle of the Brittania!

nobody would mind, none of Stokes footie goes through the middle!

I'm here all week, try the oatcakes.

£200m a year wouldn't have any effect in improving the place -it's beyond redemption!

​I disagree.

£200m a year buys a lot of bulldozers.

Stoke on Trent is a great place to live,  cheap and cheerful. Miss it dearly now I've moved to London but still got a place up there.

When I go home it takes an hour and a half at the very most, direct train, no messing about.

Why would I want to get home any quicker? Less time to drink my lager, listen to music, eye up fit Manc girls and look forward to rolling into beautiful Stoke station that sadly pisses all over Derby's.

Can't argue about Derby station, it's criminal what they did to it.

Modernised it didn't they?

Are you one of these that wants the steam engines and restoring stations to the way they were built in the black and white days?

Archived