The situation with the back four ...

Daz_The_Ram

Did i really see a post in this thread saying we should have stuck with Clough? I have just woken up so perhaps my eyes have deceived me. But on behalf of everyone... "WAT?"

Clough would have us flirting with 10th, not automatics. 

The guy was completely out of his depth. Don't forget how bad it was for 5 freaking years. We had last night's dross every week.

Remember he was the fella that sold shackell (a PL defender) & with the same money brought in a recently relegated league one defender. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shotton and Christie have been poor signings. They are not comfortable on the ball and you have to be in our style of play.  IMO Keogh works his socks off and has to carry the pair of them. Albentosa has showed all the hype around our Euro scouting has not brought any rewards yet. We miss Bucko who brings the best out of Forsyth.

The table doesn't lie we are a top 6 side certainly.

I'm not knocking Mac, the football played has been wonderful to watch but none of his signings have really worked for me.

​Exactly my point ... way too much needless tinkering. The manager needs to setle on a back four, and leave it at that until the end of the season. We have enough experience ... but how the hell are they supposed to become a congruous unit with all the chopping and changing? If I were in that dressing room ... it would wind me right up. Poor old Granty must be doing his nut. For a 'keeper to know his centre halves inside out is paramount for a successful side ... epic fail from the manager.
For me ... from this point on? 

GK: Grant
RB: Shotton
CB Keogh
CB: Albentosa
LB: Warnock

Hardly rocket science...but a back four that is concentrated on DEFENDING. Rule number one ... keep the opposition OUT.

​Exactly my point ... way too much needless tinkering. The manager needs to setle on a back four, and leave it at that until the end of the season. We have enough experience ... but how the hell are they supposed to become a congruous unit with all the chopping and changing? If I were in that dressing room ... it would wind me right up. Poor old Granty must be doing his nut. For a 'keeper to know his centre halves inside out is paramount for a successful side ... epic fail from the manager.
For me ... from this point on? 

GK: Grant
RB: Shotton
CB Keogh
CB: Albentosa
LB: Warnock

Hardly rocket science...but a back four that is concentrated on DEFENDING. Rule number one ... keep the opposition OUT.

​The thing with Albentosa is that we made such a play on the signing.
He has bags of potential, and from what I've seen of him earlier in his career, can clearly do it.

I think with a run of games will prove to be rock solid. With Buxton not fit, he is the only true option at centre half if Shotton is to go out onto the flank. I just think it's time for a settled unit with strong leadership. 

Agreed ... a pretty patchy start ...  but, then, the entire team has been wretched of late I honestly believe he can do it.

Archived