The truth about Sugar

Wolfie

Anyone catch this documentary last week?.

Watched it last night & realised I'd fallen into the trap that supposedly intelligent people shouldn't fall into. I drink diet soft drinks & don't add sugar to any other drinks & don't really have a sweet tooth - unless someone puts a chocolate orange in front of me. As far as I'm concerned, iPro drink is diabetes in a bottle.

Why then, would I happily give my toddler a carton of fruit smoothie drink on most days which (it turns out) has 7 teaspoons of sugar in it?. Because it says it is one of your 5-a-day and has "no added sugar". I felt safe and thought the packaging comments meant I didn't have to check the nutritional values. I was shocked by this and the remaining smoothies have gone in the bin. 

Let my mistake be a lesson to all of you.....

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone catch this documentary last week?.

Watched it last night & realised I'd fallen into the trap that supposedly intelligent people shouldn't fall into. I drink diet soft drinks & don't add sugar to any other drinks & don't really have a sweet tooth - unless someone puts a chocolate orange in front of me. As far as I'm concerned, iPro drink is diabetes in a bottle.

Why then, would I happily give my toddler a carton of fruit smoothie drink on most days which (it turns out) has 7 teaspoons of sugar in it?. Because it says it is one of your 5-a-day and has "no added sugar". I felt safe and thought the packaging comments meant I didn't have to check the nutritional values. I was shocked by this and the remaining smoothies have gone in the bin. 

Let my mistake be a lesson to all of you.....

Substituting sugered foods for "sugar free" tends to actually be worse than just sticking with original versions as well. 

The big thing is just knowing what you're eating better. It's like how "Low Fat" milk is hugely misleading to a lot of people. They see "only 2% fat" on these low fat milks, not realising that "Full Fat" Milk is only about ~3.25% fat. Fat isn't even bad for people, but you know. 

Keep in mind as well that sugar isn't a bad thing, it's just bad if high sugar content goods makes up a large part of your (or your children's) diets. 

So are we talking lactose, glucose, fructose, maltose or sucrose?

The problem, people, is purely and simply the amount of 'added' sugar which is sneaked into foods to make them more palatable.

If you actually throw fruit smoothies in the bin (assuming they are genuine 'no added sugar' ones), why not go the whole hog and throw all your fruit in the bin too? Then move on to your vegetables - filthy complex carbohydrates - and move on to an all-meat diet like the good Dr Atkins wanted us to.

Anything is ok in moderation. If you are your kids are fatasses, it's not the bloody food companies who are solely to blame - it's mostly YOU.

F**king blame culture.

So are we talking lactose, glucose, fructose, maltose or sucrose?

The problem, people, is purely and simply the amount of 'added' sugar which is sneaked into foods to make them more palatable.

If you actually throw fruit smoothies in the bin (assuming they are genuine 'no added sugar' ones), why not go the whole hog and throw all your fruit in the bin too? Then move on to your vegetables - filthy complex carbohydrates - and move on to an all-meat diet like the good Dr Atkins wanted us to.

Anything is ok in moderation. If you are your kids are fatasses, it's not the bloody food companies who are solely to blame - it's mostly YOU.

F**king blame culture.

I was hoping this was going to be some sort of scandal to do with the boss on the Apprentice, but that's fine. It's still interesting anyway.

It's easy to over-think these things. Society seems split down the middle between people who don't care what they put into their bodies, nor the quantity of it, and then people like two of the girls I live with who have a fear and hatred of all carbohydrates (and an addiction to bloody Kale) and think about what they eat down to the last calorie.

I had no idea smoothies were so packed with sugar, but one every now and again is better than a can of coke or Maccie's milkshake I'm sure. 

I put away a lot of Tropicana and I don't want to know how much sugar is in that, but to be honest, the White Storm and Vimto I put away on a Friday night is probably a more pressing concern. Is what we eat and drink now getting worse, or are we just more aware of what's in our food and drink than ever before, and more aware of the lasting consequences? 

Everything in moderation.

If you avoid everything that's bad for you then you will live a very boring sheltered life.

We all know drinking 10 pints followed by a KFC isn't good for you, still do it (well I do), but I don't go out doing it every night either.

If you look at kids drinks, thinking of their health, what can they drink? Fruit juices and smoothies are loaded with sugar, so are fizzy drinks and cordial unless they contain aspartame which is supposed to be even worse, water? I mean we all know it's the best drink you can possibly drink but try and give a kid nothing but water.

At some point they will turn to fizzy drinks when they are at school or out with friends.

Physical activity is the key, doesn't mean they can escape the fruit and veg and load up on chocolate and coke but keeping kids active with keep them healthy.

the pop isn't the problem, it can be compensated with healthy-ish diet. What makes everything bad is the pop, then the McDonalds! There's a reason why a bag of apples is more expensive than a happy meal.

It's a conspiracy.

I think there's a webcam setup somewhere on a half eaten McDonald's big mac that's been left on the table for years, and nothing will touch it.

Archived