Save our shop & pub from those nasty supermarket folk

Wolfie

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/news/grassroots/baslow-co-op-plans-spark-save-our-shop-campaign-1-7090835

Basically, a campaign in Baslow (nr Bakewell & where I spent the first 25 years of my life) to maintain the monopoly of the current village shop and save the loss-making pub.

The Co-op have bought an old pub that hasn't made money for the last 15 years. One other pub in the village was turned into a posh bistro a few years back. Maybe if the villagers who want to keep the pub so badly should have used it a bit more......

Other than the current small shop owners bleating about competition, I don't know why this is controversial or in the news (was on EM Today a couple of weeks ago). Presumably Co-op thinks they can make a success of it, so why not. Hell, it might even breathe some life back into the place.

Having grown up in there, I have fond memories of the various pubs and shops but as a thriving village it died years ago apart from retired people rich enough to live there. That is the real issue here - young people being priced out of rural areas. A shame.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“We don’t want a Co-op, we don’t feel we need one.” - Who's we then? 

She wanted away from corporate society? What's the difference between Spar and Co-Op?

She can't have been able to keep a straight face while saying all this. 

Had to chuckle at Lymm, in Cheshire, where people are protesting because they thought that Waitrose was coming to the town and it ended up being a Netto.

Maybe the Baslow residents should be told it's now a choice between Co-op and Poundland.

PistoldPete2

Why would the co-op shut its store in Derby and open one in Baslow. Maybe the coke-sniffing boss was too busy checking out grinder or something and he thought baslow is the biggest town in Derbyshire. or was it just the co-op bank he was in charge of? 

Archived