Perspective

It has been a rough couple of weeks to be a Derby fan, of that there can be no doubt. A poor run of results; whether they be down to injuries, loss of form, refereeing decisions, or all of the aforementioned; may have put us out of contention for automatic promotion. We trail by 5 points with only 21 left to play for, so the odds are really stacked against us.

All I want you to do for a minute is cast your mind back about 18 months. We’re 1-4 down to Ipswich at half time. Our manager of almost 5 years, who I was very sad to see the back of at the time, had been sacked. Many of us felt that we had a team capable of reaching the play-offs, but we had no real evidence of it. There were protests (albeit small ones) against an ownership group that we then saw as a toxic influence on the club, who were represented by a strange unknown man with a cue ball head, goatee beard and a rather slick way of talking that I didn’t take too kindly to. None of us really knew what to make of him, but he had just fired a Clough and appointed the ‘wally with the brolly’. I remember being absolutely disillusioned with the club when the players went in at half time, heads down. Once again the season looked to have already come and gone. 10th place would be touted as progress, and we would skulk off once again to miss out on all the fun at the top of the table.

Think about that for a minute, realise how far we have come in that short space of time, and recognise that a small amount of success has spoilt us rotten. We’ve acted all season like this league has been ours to lose, but if you look at it that really hasn’t been the case. No team has managed to make top spot their own, or maintain a lengthy run in the automatic positions without others breathing down their necks and causing unforeseen slip-ups. It’s the most competitive league that I have seen in my lifetime, and there is no shame in not running away with it like we all at some stage thought we would.

Let’s just think about what we have. A team that (at times) zip the ball around the pitch so well that we (and certain sections of the media) refer to it as ‘playing the Derby way’. An U21’s team and general youth set up that is attracting some of the best talent from across Europe. An ownership group that have become more engaged with the club, who are putting money into the team, battling all January to sign a much sought after centre back from La Liga, and all summer to sign George Thorne. A few years back Robbie Savage was our first choice defensive midfielder; I mean he meant well, but did any of you in your wildest dreams imagine that a couple of years down the line we would have a player of George’s quality pinging passes and splitting defences from deep? I certainly didn’t. Finally, we have a management team that all of us (or most of us) trust to do what’s best for the club. They might make mistakes, but they come by them honestly - they don’t play right backs at centre back and centres backs at right back away at the City Ground for no apparent reason at all, let’s put it that way.

If someone had come to you at half time at that Ipswich game and offered you all that, would you have taken it? You would have snapped their hand off and so would I. What about if the same person then said”…but, you would have a strong chance of missing out on automatic promotion at the end of the 2014/15 season.” I, for one, would still be incredibly excited and optimistic about the future, and we should be.

This is such a great club and since the turn of the new Millennium we haven’t had an easy ride, but I can honestly say that I have never felt more optimistic about where we are going. And, as a child of 1990, I’ve never had a team that I’ve felt more proud of supporting.  Much of our recent pessimism comes from the assertion of unknowns as facts: if we get to the play-offs we won’t win them like last year, Mac will leave if we don’t get promoted; we’ll lose our best players as well. Well, with 7 games to go we are still very much in the mix and have a realistic shot at getting to the Premier League. So, let’s remember where we have come from and get behind them for the last 7 games of the season. Most of all, let’s enjoy it! COME ON YOU RAMS!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with everything you've. ..... But these last few matches have been "so Derby".... Build you up, lift our expectations...then knock the stuffing out of you.

i'm not one of the ones wanting for change at the top........ but really didn't want the pain of Wembely again

It has been a rough couple of weeks to be a Derby fan, of that there can be no doubt. A poor run of results; whether they be down to injuries, loss of form, refereeing decisions, or all of the aforementioned; may have put us out of contention for automatic promotion. We trail by 5 points with only 21 left to play for, so the odds are really stacked against us.

All I want you to do for a minute is cast your mind back about 18 months. We’re 1-4 down to Ipswich at half time. Our manager of almost 5 years, who I was very sad to see the back of at the time, had been sacked. Many of us felt that we had a team capable of reaching the play-offs, but we had no real evidence of it. There were protests (albeit small ones) against an ownership group that we then saw as a toxic influence on the club, who were represented by a strange unknown man with a cue ball head, goatee beard and a rather slick way of talking that I didn’t take too kindly to. None of us really knew what to make of him, but he had just fired a Clough and appointed the ‘wally with the brolly’. I remember being absolutely disillusioned with the club when the players went in at half time, heads down. Once again the season looked to have already come and gone. 10th place would be touted as progress, and we would skulk off once again to miss out on all the fun at the top of the table.

Think about that for a minute, realise how far we have come in that short space of time, and recognise that a small amount of success has spoilt us rotten. We’ve acted all season like this league has been ours to lose, but if you look at it that really hasn’t been the case. No team has managed to make top spot their own, or maintain a lengthy run in the automatic positions without others breathing down their necks and causing unforeseen slip-ups. It’s the most competitive league that I have seen in my lifetime, and there is no shame in not running away with it like we all at some stage thought we would.

Let’s just think about what we have. A team that (at times) zip the ball around the pitch so well that we (and certain sections of the media) refer to it as ‘playing the Derby way’. An U21’s team and general youth set up that is attracting some of the best talent from across Europe. An ownership group that have become more engaged with the club, who are putting money into the team, battling all January to sign a much sought after centre back from La Liga, and all summer to sign George Thorne. A few years back Robbie Savage was our first choice defensive midfielder; I mean he meant well, but did any of you in your wildest dreams imagine that a couple of years down the line we would have a player of George’s quality pinging passes and splitting defences from deep? I certainly didn’t. Finally, we have a management team that all of us (or most of us) trust to do what’s best for the club. They might make mistakes, but they come by them honestly - they don’t play right backs at centre back and centres backs at right back away at the City Ground for no apparent reason at all, let’s put it that way.

If someone had come to you at half time at that Ipswich game and offered you all that, would you have taken it? You would have snapped their hand off and so would I. What about if the same person then said”…but, you would have a strong chance of missing out on automatic promotion at the end of the 2014/15 season.” I, for one, would still be incredibly excited and optimistic about the future, and we should be.

This is such a great club and since the turn of the new Millennium we haven’t had an easy ride, but I can honestly say that I have never felt more optimistic about where we are going. And, as a child of 1990, I’ve never had a team that I’ve felt more proud of supporting.  Much of our recent pessimism comes from the assertion of unknowns as facts: if we get to the play-offs we won’t win them like last year, Mac will leave if we don’t get promoted; we’ll lose our best players as well. Well, with 7 games to go we are still very much in the mix and have a realistic shot at getting to the Premier League. So, let’s remember where we have come from and get behind them for the last 7 games of the season. Most of all, let’s enjoy it! COME ON YOU RAMS!

The thing I don't understand is how finishing in the play-offs is somehow a failure. Any club that shows ambition will miss out and have disappointment at some point. You don't get offered every job you apply for, you don't get a date with every woman/man you ask out. Before McClaren we were stood hands in pockets waiting for something happen, now we are trying to make it happen.

The big difference from 18 months ago is ambition. This club wants to get promoted, it wants to get a higher standing in English and global football. But that does not mean we will achieve it all straight off. I think we have to go back 20 years or so for the last time we had two decent seasons back to back, two seasons where we won far more than we lost. And yet to some fans out there, this is deemed not good enough??

I can't understand why anyone would want us to not finish in the play-offs just so we avoid potential heart ache again. If you go through life trying to avoid the heart ache the suffering, you'll never reach your full potential. It is a sport, anything can happen.

And some of the ridiculous vendettas against certain players.

I wonder who has had the more enjoyable season so far, us, QPR, Burnley or Leicester....even throw in Brighton and Wigan...

Derby having a maintained successful period is rare, so don't jeopardise that by being ungrateful and having the kind of expectations a Man U/Chelsea fan would have. This season of all seasons is the most unpredictable, so why write it off? Winning the damn league is still possible.

I remember that Ipswich game. Tuesday night it was, when I got to the ipro at ht ppl were walking out! Couldn't believe it.

Then the 2nd half started. Magic.

I don't know what to think of the night of Ipswich. Even when being 4-1 down I felt confident of the season ahead kept singing that game.

Then second half game as Ladyram says 'Magical' then to hear the big Mclaren went down and had a word to change it around installed belief in me.. Hope he can do that now!!

Archived