Ronaldo after that Yankee dollar

Lord_Ram

Cristiano Ronaldo wants a swansong in Major League Soccer once his contract at Real Madrid ends in 2018, according to reports.

Sports Illustrated claims the Portuguese winger, 30, is interested in moving to big cities such as New York, Los Angeles and Miami.

New York currently have two teams - New York Red Bulls and New York City, the latter who are jointly owned by Manchester City and the New York Yankees.

Los Angeles will have two teams by 2018, the LA Galaxy - whom Steven Gerrard will join in the summer - and another team in 2017, whose backers include Magic Johnson and Vincent Tan.

David Beckham has the rights for a franchise in Miami, due to enter the league in 2017, but a stadium delay has put major doubt on the project.

However, the lure of having Ronaldo on their team will no doubt spur the Beckham group and the City of Miami to ensure that they do not lose their expansion spot.

Ronaldo's inclination to join the MLS shows just how far the league has come in attracting major names to the United States.

Since Beckham's stint at Los Angeles, Thierry Henry played for New York Red Bulls, New York City signed David Villa while former Real Madrid and AC Milan playmaker Kaka plays for Orlando City.

Frank Lampard, controversially, will join New York City in the summer, joining Gerrard in the league, while the likes of Xavi and Iker Casillas have been linked with moves to the US, partly for the high wages but also for the lifestyle opportunities that country offers.

The MLS has a salary cap but under the designated player rule, clubs can sign players on lucrative contracts. Kaka is currently the highest paid player in MLS with a salary of $7,100,00 (£4,810,00) a year and it would take a similar figure, if not higher, to land Ronaldo, who earns around £13,800,000 a season at the Bernabeu.

Manchester United have long harboured hopes that Ronaldo would return to Old Trafford one day but it appears as if he will head to the MLS, in what will be an unbelievable coup for the league.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/players/cristiano-ronaldo/11479148/Cristiano-Ronaldo-wants-to-end-career-with-transfer-to-USA.html

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not the Yankee dollar he's after, it's the glitz and glamour you get in America. Because yes, it's been confirmed for a while now, Ronaldo is that kind of ******.

​If you was Ronaldo would you do it? or would you sit at home, feet up and live the quiet life in front of the TV with a butler bringing you Pina Coladas when you click your fingers?

Doubt he would go to to NY. 

LA have Galaxy and a new Franchise starting next year, but the likes of Orlando and Miami would definitely interest him too.

America is a an awesome place to live for the rich, and you can see why it's so appealing for some.

I hope  totally that this happens.

The MLS continues to grow, and this will only help it grow further. For this season, MLS made a deal, and the MLS is shown in several European countries now as well, which I hope draws fans into the league also.

Yeah he would be coming when he is older as have the other ones who have done the same (Beckham, Kaka, etc.) but who gives a ****? They are still great for the league to give it a little bit of notice.

Yes Ronaldo coming more than likely just for the money and/or glamour of living the posh life in the States, but again, good imo, he will help the league.

MLS is tons better than it has been in the past regardless if some think so or not, and asides from a couple rules they have, I like the direction it is going in.

It is my national league, and I as I have said numerous times in the past, I hope it gains some respect from world circles in future.

For those who think MLS is **** league and that will never change, your opinion, I just do not agree.

I hope  totally that this happens.

The MLS continues to grow, and this will only help it grow further. For this season, MLS made a deal, and the MLS is shown in several European countries now as well, which I hope draws fans into the league also.

Yeah he would be coming when he is older as have the other ones who have done the same (Beckham, Kaka, etc.) but who gives a ****? They are still great for the league to give it a little bit of notice.

Yes Ronaldo coming more than likely just for the money and/or glamour of living the posh life in the States, but again, good imo, he will help the league.

MLS is tons better than it has been in the past regardless if some think so or not, and asides from a couple rules they have, I like the direction it is going in.

It is my national league, and I as I have said numerous times in the past, I hope it gains some respect from world circles in future.

For those who think MLS is **** league and that will never change, your opinion, I just do not agree.

​I agree that this will help the league to grow in stature mate, and that's probably a good thing. I like the appeal of the draft, a salary cap and designated players.

Ronaldo in the league will be ridiculous. He's one of the best players of all time, and even at 34 he will still be incredible. And he'll be playing against full-backs like Tyrone Mears. His team will be the best and he'll probably win the MVP award every season until he retires, if you look at the way very mediocre players like Bradley Wright-Phillips have been successful across your side of the pond.

I get why he'd do it as well. He can't be second-best anywhere, and by this time he likely won't be the superstar at Real Madrid. The cash will be incredible, too. And, as Bris said, America seems like a great place to live for the rich.

Not really sure how anyone has the nerve to criticise players going to the MLS for the cash.

Isn't that exactly why everyone goes to the PL?

Because they certainly don't go to England for the weather, beautiful girls or to play for a top club. they go to mediocre clubs like Newcastle, win nothing but earn a fortune.

Did anybody see Adam Johnson's mansion where he got arrested? How can a such a mediocre footballer get to live such a good life... 

Archived