Thorne

North_Stand_Ram

​Unfortunately, I suspect Thorne will never really play regularly (if at all) for England, for exactly the same reason Huddlestone hasn't: he doesn't run around enough.  The English mentality is all players 'giving 100%', crunching into tackles and lumping the ball forward as quickly as possible.  Thorne does none of those things, and as soon as the going gets a bit tough, he'll be dropped for a headless chicken tackle-everything-in-sight like Owen Hargreaves, or a Roy of the Rovers gives-the-ball-away-all-the-time-but-scores-wonder-goals like Gerrard.

Hughes may well go the same way - you can see it when Liverpool fans talk about signing him, it's all 'he needs to bulk up, win more tackles and score more goals'.  No - he needs to keep on doing what he's doing - being one of the best damned passers of the ball I've ever seen for his age.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​Wiltshire, Carrick, Sterling, LLanna, Chamberlain, Walcott, Henderson, Delph, Barkley even Downing, Townsend and that idiot JonJo shelvey are ahead of Huddlestone, I am definitely not saying we have a mass of quality in there, just that there are a lot of players better than Huddlestone.

Yes , of course  , Hughes , Thorne and Huddlestone a great England midfield .. and I agree that it's usually the players who run around a lot who are the 'bankers' for England selection , not the classy 'strollers' and 'schemers' like these three .. and mentioning Gerrard , look how much better Liverpool are without him in the team .. he isn't a Brendan Rodgers type of player , and no matter how much he ( diplomatically ) continues to say that he's an integral part of Liverpool's future , I for one don't believe he means it for one minute .. look who was his 'lynchpin' at Swansea , 'Mr. Midget' Leon Britton , a first time passer of the ball who made his team 'tick' with the sort of accuracy and precision that Rodgers prefers .. 

Have we ever had any real success with a Gerrard / Lampard midfield .. NO ! 

But can we trust Hodgson to see the bleedin' obvious ? We shall see , but don't hold your breath .. ! 

Yes , of course  , Hughes , Thorne and Huddlestone a great England midfield .. and I agree that it's usually the players who run around a lot who are the 'bankers' for England selection , not the classy 'strollers' and 'schemers' like these three .. and mentioning Gerrard , look how much better Liverpool are without him in the team .. he isn't a Brendan Rodgers type of player , and no matter how much he ( diplomatically ) continues to say that he's an integral part of Liverpool's future , I for one don't believe he means it for one minute .. look who was his 'lynchpin' at Swansea , 'Mr. Midget' Leon Britton , a first time passer of the ball who made his team 'tick' with the sort of accuracy and precision that Rodgers prefers .. 

Have we ever had any real success with a Gerrard / Lampard midfield .. NO ! 

But can we trust Hodgson to see the bleedin' obvious ? We shall see , but don't hold your breath .. ! 

Archived