Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

6 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

AJ just shows what boxing can do to you - after the Klitschko fight we thought he was going to rule for years. It looked like nobody would be able to lay a glove on him. Then a sketchy performance against Takam (up to a rather challenged stoppage) and a poor night's work against Parker means that the Povetkin win was he only really strong night past that. Then, five fights and four years later and his only wins since Povetkin are against a very flabby Ruiz and a strong, yet eminently beatable Pulev. In that time three defeats and a complete loss of the aura around him. Wilder is much the same, he was 40-0 going into the Fury fight and has still only lost to the lineal champion but he's also not only lost his aura but also his belts.

It is so much about timing, and what is around you at the time. If he'd been around five or six years before Joshua could have racked up a pretty solid record but now he's always going to be considered at the guy who just came up short at the very highest level.

Yeah all true. And that's why we don't get to see big fights when we should because of the pitfalls. 

Because all these guys fight 2 times per year there's just no time to stage comebacks as such. 

Ideally AJ should be able to lose to Usyk and Fury. He should be able to go fight Wilder. And if he loses that then he should be able to fight Joyce or Wallin or Whyte or Ruiz again. Until he finds his level. Imo he smashes anyone below and probably including Wilder. But none of them would ever let him hold that position. They'd go over him and around him to bigger money, bigger reward fights that they can afford to lose.

But if AJ loses to Fury is value plummets. Nobody wants to risk their value on him. People want to skip over him. And AJ won't go and fight Wilder because if he loses that then he's back on undercards. Which is ridiculous when he's such an exciting fighter and one of the elite heavies. 

The belts further complicate things since people get fight easy defences over the best. 

Everyone in boxing can only afford a couple of losses and those losses have to be to the absolute elite. All the danger fights that count for nothing are rare. And when they happen there's not much money and hype. Luis Ortiz has only taken them because he was in do or die at his age. Ruiz and Charles Martin saw an old man with a (undeserved) good reputation 

Boxing in general is such a unique sport. 

In every other sport, be it team or individual, you have a calendar/schedule where it is mandatory to face all of your opponents or it’s in a tournament where there is ultimately one winner.

Boxing is the only sport where you can choose your opponent where you want, when you want.

Whereas in most other sports you have an almost definite defined ‘best’, you can’t really say that about boxing because it’s a subjective sport where it’s rare to see the best play the best, both in their prime and without any distinct advantages.

I hope AJ vs Fury happens. But not only is AJ the underdog in terms of boxing skill, Fury will be the fresher fighter. It’s not the 50-50 it was when first agreed prior to the first Usyk fight.

On a separate note, they are desperately trying to build Canelo vs GGG as this monumental occasion. Claiming they both have a deep hatred of each other. I just don’t think it has captured the attention like they expected. Most heavily favour Canelo because he has the backing of the judges/networks and GGG is five or six years past his prime.

6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Boxing in general is such a unique sport. 

In every other sport, be it team or individual, you have a calendar/schedule where it is mandatory to face all of your opponents or it’s in a tournament where there is ultimately one winner.

Boxing is the only sport where you can choose your opponent where you want, when you want.

Whereas in most other sports you have an almost definite defined ‘best’, you can’t really say that about boxing because it’s a subjective sport where it’s rare to see the best play the best, both in their prime and without any distinct advantages.

I hope AJ vs Fury happens. But not only is AJ the underdog in terms of boxing skill, Fury will be the fresher fighter. It’s not the 50-50 it was when first agreed prior to the first Usyk fight.

On a separate note, they are desperately trying to build Canelo vs GGG as this monumental occasion. Claiming they both have a deep hatred of each other. I just don’t think it has captured the attention like they expected. Most heavily favour Canelo because he has the backing of the judges/networks and GGG is five or six years past his prime.

Yeah I'll watch it but I expect Canelo to win comfortably. 

Since losing (he did though didn't he) the first one Canelo has looked better and better including the rematch. Even Vs Bivol where size was a major factor he still showed his durability. While GGG has looked worse and worse. 

GGG is going to have to not only roll back the years but be even better than he was in fight 1. Big ask

14 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Since losing (he did though didn't he) the first one Canelo has looked better and better including the rematch. Even Vs Bivol where size was a major factor he still showed his durability. While GGG has looked worse and worse. 

GGG is going to have to not only roll back the years but be even better than he was in fight 1. Big ask

Yeah I think Canelo wins comfortably on points. He may have always been the better boxer than GGG.

GGG had always been the biggest puncher in the middleweight division with a granite chin. His punches hurt opponents and he generally stopped most of them on volume of damage.

That’s how I saw the first Canelo fight. He dealt with any real threat from Canelo, outpunched him and Canelo gassed late on. The second fight was much closer and you could see marked improvement from Canelo’s side.

Now four years later Canelo’s ability has improved further. He isn’t just a brilliant boxer, but he stops his opponents too. 

As you say, GGG is worse. He throws less punches, his strength has naturally decreased, he’s slower and he is probably less durable too.

I don’t see how GGG wins. He isn’t going to get a decision and Canelo is too good of a boxer now to have a middleweight hurt him to stop him.

I hope I’m wrong. It would be nice to see GGG right the wrong of the first fight and go out on a high. Either way, I think this is his retirement fight.

27 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I had GGG comfortably winning the first fight thought he just edged the second but you could make a case either way

think canelo will win the 3rd just because age seems to have caught up with GGG he was poor in his last fight also if the judges are like the previous fights GGG will need to knock canelo out to get a draw

I just can't see GGG winning. I really want him to but I just can't see a scenario where he wins. 

GGG is never going to win a decision against Canelo, we've seen how deep judges are in Canelo's pocket over the years. At the same time, I can't see Canelo being finished in 12 rounds. They both have granite chins but I feel GGG's age is going to play the deciding factor in this one, especially watching his last few fights. 

Canelo mid/late round stoppage. GGG won't give up, but his corner/ref will stop the fight.

21 hours ago, Henrycav81 said:

I had GGG comfortably winning the first fight thought he just edged the second but you could make a case either way

think canelo will win the 3rd just because age seems to have caught up with GGG he was poor in his last fight also if the judges are like the previous fights GGG will need to knock canelo out to get a draw

I had Canelo on the 2nd but it seems only ringside judges in the entire world had Canelo in fight 1. 

I feel like this fight will be sad to watch. It will be GGG trying and failing to pressure Canelo and just getting beat up.

Canelo v ggg will be interesting! A 40 year old ggg is defo on his way out but the last two were close! Itll probs be his last fight, he will want to go out with a win, if not a good performance, whether hes got it left in the tank or not though!

Canelos 32 but 61 fights must take its toll!! Hes rich, he has a family, he has done it all pretty much, his legacy is cemented imo, has he still got the hunger? Safe bets obviously canelo but i might put a 5er on ggg stopping him!

Ps sorry if this has already been said, i only pop on now and then and have only had a skim through whats already been said!

On 15/09/2022 at 07:42, Alpha said:

I had Canelo on the 2nd but it seems only ringside judges in the entire world had Canelo in fight 1. 

I feel like this fight will be sad to watch. It will be GGG trying and failing to pressure Canelo and just getting beat up.

You pretty much called it.

Eddie Hearn puts on the best of shows, but the build up to this one has been spew. Feel for those that paid out the ridiculous PPV figure. GGG deserves his payday though. He will go down as a middleweight great. 

I dunno. I think we can be biased in our assessments of fighters and I think I might be where Canelo is concerned. The man's a rucking machine, no doubt, but I think 3G showed again, even in a loss, that he's not really the irresistible force some make him out to be. I also think that Bivol has left his mark on him. He took less risks last night, as in fairness, did 3G. Interested to see where he goes from here, but I very much doubt he wants Bivol again, despite his claims to. That to me is empty grandstanding. His drug record still rankles with me too and I find him unlikeable and hard to respect. 

As for the fight, I played the obvious call. I know some fancied Canelo to beat up a tiring 3G, but that was based on a couple of recent performances, not the 35+ fights beforehand and 3G will have been trained to granite for this fight. I tried to talk myself into some fanciful scenarios at bigger prices, but to my eyes, there was no way 3G was getting knocked out last night, it was just never going to happen. Frankly, I don't think 3G or his team even take the fight, if they thought he would end his career on his back.

For Gennady, this was a last big payday and a last chance to show the world that even at 40, a purportedly prime Canelo, along with every other fighter he faced, still never had what was needed to put him away. That's the warrior way and Gennady is that warrior. I'll certainly remember him far more favourably than I ever will Canelo and his circus.

On 25/09/2022 at 00:00, Alpha said:

Joyce looked like a heavyweight Golovkin tonight. He showed new levels. 

The most fitting nickname for any boxer. Not sure what he's made from

Watched the fight last night - can't recall seeing many fighters walk through the bombardment that Joyce did. The guy never even flinched. The lad still looks pretty raw but we know he can take any shot and we also know he can bang. Livens up a HW division that was in danger of dying on its arse. Might he be a bigger threat to Fury and Usyk than AJ? Can't see anyone rushing to fight him tbh.

It was crazy, proper scrap and Parker deserves his share of the plaudits for making it so, but if you watch the amateur dust up with Frazer Clark you get an idea that Joyce is made of granite. However, I fear both Fury and Usyk would just dance him into a points loss - not sure Usyk, in particular, would want to go anywhere near him. The other thing that is in his way is age, not quite sure why he waited so long to turn pro because he doesn't have that much runway left to do things in.

I think Fury would just jab him all night from the outside and get a points win. I'd still love to see it just incase. 

I saw the Clarke v Joyce scrap. Poor Clarke absolutely nailed Joyce and still couldn't make him go backwards. 

I've not watched it back but am I right in thinking the attack that finished Parker came from Parker hitting Joyce with a good shot? I know there was one moment where Joyce looked stunned by a shot for like 0.0001 second before increasing his pressure by double. 

I saw a comment on "Could Joyce take a clean shot from Wilder?". The comment was "could Wilder's hands take a clean headbutt from Joyce"

Edited by Alpha

I can't see Joyce beating Fury, Usyk or AJ, but can see him beating Wilder.

Usyk absolutely battered him in the amateurs with ease, dancing around him barely getting hit, he'd do the same if they fought soon. 

Fury will dance around him for 12 rounds with no issues, he may get caught a couple of times but he's got great recovery as we've seen against Wilder.

AJ beat him with ease in the amateurs and the sparring (yes I know) session between them that's online, AJ was absolutely peppering him.

With Wilder, we know he cannot fight off the back foot and his chin is suspect. Joyce is a machine that keeps walking forward shot after shot with a phenomenal chin, Wilder's nightmare.

Edited by Jubbs

Andrade unsurprisingly ducking Parker. Will be interesting to see who Parker fights, needs to go up a step in opponent given his more recent fights. Would like to see him fight John Ryder, which will be a great indicator to see where he is at quality wise domestically.

Joe Joyce vs Dillian Whyte would also be a fight I’d like to see. I can’t see it happening though as it looks like Eddie Hearn let slip that Whyte has signed on with Matchroom again.

Promotion and networking issues means some simply won’t be made

In 2023 I can see:

Fury vs Usyk for undisputed

Wilder vs Ruiz

AJ vs Whyte II

Joyce vs winner of Usyk/Fury as mandatory defence