What will happen when Martin is fit again?

Sexydadbod

It's a tough call to make. One thing to consider though, is it just a coincidence that we've conceded goals a plenty since Martin has been out injured? Without him holding up the ball maybe this has this given the opposition the opportunity to put us under more pressure and score more goals?

Or have we just been poor at the back recently???

Probably a bit of both I reckon.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would you say we are playing better now than during the run in last season, debatable I would say ,

but you do not have a £20,000,000 striker on loan and not play him , nice dilemma to have aye .

Let McC pick the team according to who we are playing , weaker teams play them both, stronger teams be a tad more cautious , simple .

What a dilemma to have Bent or Martin or both and drop a midfielder. I'd probably bring back Martin just because he seems to suit our game better more patient build up rather than the quick ball through which bent wants. But Bent is a fantastic option and am a big fan of his. To think it wasn't so long ago we were starting Dean Moxey up front

I think Martin will start more often than Bent, and sometimes they'll play together. I think Martin will prove every bit as important as before, with Bent's contribution giving us the edge.

The only - and I mean only - issue I have with Bent is that he's a bit like a drug. We could get too used to him. Say we do sign him if we go up - if you're going into the Premier League with him as your first choice striker you're basically admitting that your only ambition is to narrowly avoid relegation. You're saying it's going to be okay to be under the cosh in games because you've got a striker who can nick a goal (see Burnley with Ings, QPR with Austin, Hull with every striker Bruce has tried to sign).

If we want to finish mid-table - which I hope the ambition is from the board and management - then we have to find a way of making Martin work in the Premier League. Or, failing that, we need to find a player who's like him but better for the top flight. We need to be able to control games, keep possession, bring players into play - in other words, do what we're doing now. We have an identity and a style and we need to hone and improve it to do well in the top flight, rather than abandon it.

So I hope we don't get too addicted to fox-in-the-box Bent. That's not to say I don't rate him - I do, and he's clearly playing a level below his ability. We could rely on his goals and still win the league comfortably. But it would be a bad habit to pick up. Get Martin involved ASAP and persuade Bent to stay as a Plan B for next season, just keep him away from Plan A!

Archived