Plan B

TigerTedd

I think there was a thread about this, but it was sacrificed in the great thread cull.

There were lots of interesting theories about how we'd use Bent. 4-4-2, 4-2-4, 3-5-2?

I think we're starting to see a plan B, C and D forming. Obviously, plan B has been forced on us a bit by Martin's injury, but I think it's all a lot more simple than any of us really predicted.

Now we have good cover in every position. But not just cover, tactical options. The cover in each position is not just a slightly worse version of the same thing. Each player brings something different, and our tactics can change accordingly.

If we want to be stronger in attack, we can have Christid and Forsyth as full backs, stronger defensively, and it's Shorton and/or Warnock. So we have the option of pressing high up the pitch, or soaking up pressure and breaking.

We've now got Bent up top, who provides something different to Msrtin, and the team is able to adept to make the most of that something different. Bent up top brings out the best in Dawkins. Beyson or Hendo offer slightly different strengths.

It's brilliant really. It's the same old 4-3-3 that everyone is used to, but with just a few personnel alterations, we can totally change the way it works; from the start, mid-game, when ever Steve feels it's best.

I think it's genius in its simplicity, and it's why I'm really confident (plus the new additions, Thorne coming back, etc) that we'll be even stronger in the second half of the season than we were in the first.

Anyway, any other ideas for plan b bearing in mind the new options?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there was a thread about this, but it was sacrificed in the great thread cull.

There were lots of interesting theories about how we'd use Bent. 4-4-2, 4-2-4, 3-5-2?

I think we're starting to see a plan B, C and D forming. Obviously, plan B has been forced on us a bit by Martin's injury, but I think it's all a lot more simple than any of us really predicted.

Now we have good cover in every position. But not just cover, tactical options. The cover in each position is not just a slightly worse version of the same thing. Each player brings something different, and our tactics can change accordingly.

If we want to be stronger in attack, we can have Christid and Forsyth as full backs, stronger defensively, and it's Shorton and/or Warnock. So we have the option of pressing high up the pitch, or soaking up pressure and breaking.

We've now got Bent up top, who provides something different to Msrtin, and the team is able to adept to make the most of that something different. Bent up top brings out the best in Dawkins. Beyson or Hendo offer slightly different strengths.

It's brilliant really. It's the same old 4-3-3 that everyone is used to, but with just a few personnel alterations, we can totally change the way it works; from the start, mid-game, when ever Steve feels it's best.

I think it's genius in its simplicity, and it's why I'm really confident (plus the new additions, Thorne coming back, etc) that we'll be even stronger in the second half of the season than we were in the first.

I'd add Hughes to the list. He will flourish with Bent's intelligent runs. I'm sure about it.

Otherwise we will stick with the same system I think. Yes, there will be few twists as players play bit differently but I don't think we will see massive changes in tactics. I don't understand this talk Bent would need other striker with him. I'm confident he can lead the line on his own.

Good read and agree with the sentiment, but often read on here dropping Forsyth would improve us defensively, yet I think defending is the best part of his game.

Struggling to think of a winger who's got the better of him this season, if only his passing was as good.

Good read and agree with the sentiment, but often read on here dropping Forsyth would improve us defensively, yet I think defending is the best part of his game.

Struggling to think of a winger who's got the better of him this season, if only his passing was as good.

To be fair, I don't know much about Warnock's game. You just get the impression that with more experience comes more defensive nouse. But there's real science behind that assumption.

Either way, they are both very good players, and they are different players with different qualities. However, in this situation, perhaps it is more of a like for like, rather than the Shotton / Christie option, which is certainly as much about tactics as it is about form.

*awaits endless list of mapped-out, Football Manager lineups*

Football Manager? Pah.

Mapped-out CM0102 lineups FTW - and I still think we were a little hasty in getting rid of Tonton Zola Moukoko.

I'll be interested to see how Bent links up with everyone, particularly Hughes and Dawkins. Dawkins and Martin are both relatively static, safe-passing possession players and the moment we change striker Dawkins gets an assist, so it'll be interesting to see how good of a creator he is with a moving target. It could well bring out the best in him.

I think we'll change out style of play slightly but I expect the formation to start off the same largely speaking. Hughes will probably play a bit higher up the pitch and Dawkins is likely to feature a bit more to ensure we retain possession higher up the pitch in the absence of Martin.

I think we might see a slightly more dynamic fast paced front 3 with Bent hanging off the last defender.

Either way, it's only subtle differences, I doubt we'll see sweeping changes in the formation for league games. McClaren might use the FA Cup game to experiment a little bit but ultimately he'll be going for the win!

Archived