How do you get to away games?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roadrider to Wembley fiasco -

Queuing to get on at PP for almost 90 minutes.

Horrendous traffic.

Stopping at services when we were really late.

Parking up took ages.

Got to my seat at kick off with no time to soak up the atmosphere or have a few beers.

Took 2 hours to get out of London after.

never again.

Train usually, but beginning to think I'm getting too old for the round trip to Derby ! Sometimes my friend's son can borrow his dad's car, which is great. My partner used to live in Birmingham which was handy but has now moved to Thornbury ( near Bristol), so a round train trip from there is ok. All that also applies to away matches, south of Derby!

Sounds like the train is perhaps the most popular which is understandable when all the group can relax and have a drink.

I think with the Wembley Play Off Final, it must have been quite difficult to go from organising a couple of coaches normally to away games to I believe over 50 coaches went from Pride Park.

Car must be one of the cheapest if you can get at least 3 people in the car. 

Thanks for the replies guys and gals. 

So if coach was more accessible would you consider using this form of transport?

Will you one day be famous, say Dave Cameron famous? And be able to enact some of the meticulous lines of questioning you employ ......

For example

No longer can an independent coach with "people" on it travel freely, and certainly not to an away football game without notifying the police, and driving on the exact instructed route

Also, if police do not like look of the bus, they can insist it halts its journey/parks underground for two days/stands on its head/signs nice songs about pigs. In short, police powers are as ever overly excessive. With a lot of little known evil legislation thrown in.

Police even stopped stoke fans on cars driving to derby in early 2000's. Yes, more than one MAN in a car on a50 or a52 heading to derby would be "apprehended" and turned around under the "Pig no likey" rule.

In answer to your questions;

Car

Train is nice and more of adventure, but prefer getting in, parked seat. Win, out home asap. Needs of a young family .....

Coach sets off too early, sits with pigs for hours, gets to game normally very early

Years gone by, surely someone on here remembers the infamous notts supporters club branch coach.........always get there early, pre arranged pub 10 miles away from ground. Beers on way there. Ditch them all in suitcase space, meet police convoy that remained sometimes having let the other coaches go without us,

And London games ....forget the police, drive straight on down the M1 and to a pub before making own way there.

Those really were the days, including dropping people off on M1 hard shoulders etc .......

Archived