3 - 5 - 2

dabber

With the absence of Eustace, the wait for Thorne and the apparent inadequacy of Mascarell would we consider 3-5-2 until Thorne is back? This would also allow us to start Martin and Bent. Could try it out in training this week and in the Cup game?

Something along the lines of the following though I am not sure of the right personnel alongside Hughes

Grant

Keogh  Albentosa  Buxton

Christie                                        Forsyth

Russell Hughes Dawkins

Martin  Bent

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the absence of Eustace, the wait for Thorne and the apparent inadequacy of Mascarell would we consider 3-5-2 until Thorne is back? This would also allow us to start Martin and Bent. Could try it out in training this week and in the Cup game?

Something along the lines of the following though I am not sure of the right personnel alongside Hughes

Grant

Keogh Albentosa Buxton

Christie Forsyth

Russell Hughes Dawkins

Martin Bent

Convoluted formation.

Yes, I agree, the solution to get overrun in midfield is clearly to play Will Hughes in there on his own.   :wacko:

He is not on his own and I did say I was unsure what personnel to deploy next to him, but if having a pop makes you feel better then thanks for your contribution. Still, at least you said more than no!

We do need a solution, 'cos it ain't working currently. Where was Coutts today, didn't even make the bench.

He is not on his own and I did say I was unsure what personnel to deploy next to him, but if having a pop makes you feel better then thanks for your contribution. Still, at least you said more than no!We do need a solution, 'cos it ain't working currently. Where was Coutts today, didn't even make the bench.

Unsure of the personnel, so you went with Dawkins and Russell?

Apparently so, who would you suggest?

I would suggest Hendrick and Mascarell. Therefore, your 'solution' doesn't work.

As for it not working. We were top of the league before today, and if Hughes hadn't gone off at HT, I'm pretty sure we still would be now. It is working.

He is not on his own and I did say I was unsure what personnel to deploy next to him, but if having a pop makes you feel better then thanks for your contribution. Still, at least you said more than no!

We do need a solution, 'cos it ain't working currently. Where was Coutts today, didn't even make the bench.

The obvious solution is to get someone in for a month that can do the job Eustace does.  That will solve a multitude of problems.  352 solves none of the problems we had today (or have had in recent months) and it takes away a lot of strengths (pacy wingers for one).

No, but I do think a 4-2-3-1 could work.

Grant; Christie, Albentosa, Buxton, Forsyth/Warnock; Thorne, Hughes; Ward, Martin, Russell; Bent

Would give us a lot of goals, Martin could drop deep to add a bit of physicality in midfield when we're up against it, eliminates the problem of having to play one of Bryson and Hendrick when both are out of form. Subtle change from the current formation and gives us a bit more midfield structure. Relies on Throne and Hughes being fit though, otherwise we could still revert back to the 4-3-3, which is a proven success in certain circumstances.

No, but I do think a 4-2-3-1 could work.

Grant; Christie, Albentosa, Buxton, Forsyth/Warnock; Thorne, Hughes; Ward, Martin, Russell; Bent

Would give us a lot of goals, Martin could drop deep to add a bit of physicality in midfield when we're up against it, eliminates the problem of having to play one of Bryson and Hendrick when both are out of form. Subtle change from the current formation and gives us a bit more midfield structure. Relies on Throne and Hughes being fit though, otherwise we could still revert back to the 4-3-3, which is a proven success in certain circumstances.

I have always liked 4-2-3-1, everyone seemed to be playing it in the 2010 World Cup. Just not sure we have the players for it, certainly not with the current injures. Not sure Martin is mobile enough for the 3, but his intelligence and game sense might make it work

Can't see the formation changing from the 4-5-1 we play (4-3-3 when we have possession and attacking) generally works well apart from the game at Middlesboro when it was all changed at HT.

I'm not expert, but what formation did we adopt when bent came on? Was it the same or did he just play on the right?

Officially I think he was instructed to play on the right (he told Russell to go left when he came in), but he drifted really far inside so we ended up completely lopsided.

I don't think it was a coincidence their winner came down our right flank, with the space Bent's drifting inside created.

Yeah SM refers to 'a lot of mistakes for the last goal' one of which was possibly Bent being too central and losing the header, although to be fair he was possibly fouled, which lead directly the goal. I think it is a good question exactly where you play Bent for maximum benefit as our system depends on a strong centre forward which we already have. Maybe Bent will play the Martin role next weekend and we will know more

Archived