Derby Fans From Outside The UK

Anon

Why did you decide to follow Derby?

Do you also follow a domestic team in your own country? If not, please state why.

How easy is it for you to see matches or even access highlights?

What football clubs do the majority of people in your country follow?

What is your opinion on "glory supporters"?

Just to clarify, this isn't some kind of profiling scam. I have quite a low opinion of fans from other countries who follow the big successful teams from the UK. I feel that their support and participation in English football makes it easier for boards and the premier league to operate questionable business practices that don't necessarily benefit domestic fans. I do realise, however, that this is an unfair assumption in many cases.

I know we have a few fans from across the globe on this forum and I'd just like to get an idea of why you made the decision to follow what is essentially a second tier club without any kind of major success for the last 40 years. Most football fans either inherit their club from their family or follow them due to location, but I imagine your experiences are somewhat different.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To answer some of your questions

I have followed Derby for 50 years,I was born in Derbyshire and although moving as a young boy to Lincolnshire have always remained faithful

I dont follow any team in Spain,but always look for Barca in the results

Not to easy,Sky Sports 1 is really the only channel to watch,I don't have access to bbc or itv as the satelite beam has alterred.My internet is toslow to watch television.I try to get over to watch one or two matches a year,if the flights and hotels are in my price range

Football clubs supported in Spain,Barcelona,Real and Athletico Madrid

My opinion on Glory supporters,they don't appear to have to many brain cells.

Why..?... I ask myself this on many occasions...all my family are from Manchester, I should have been a United fan really and had a lifetime of happiness....but we moved to the Derby area and I did the crazy thing of supporting my local team.

I go to watchx FC Basel whenever I am free, I wouldn't break my neck to go and see them, but I try to get once a month or so.

I can get Sky Spots over here so it's no issue at all, and I listen to the games live on the Rams Player.

Most of the locals support FC Basel but there is a lot of Bayern Munich fans around and also Barca, United etc etc

Glory supporters....my thoughts...I don't care, let them do what they want, I certainly wish the reason I had picked Derby County was for the glory..!!!

Why did you decide to follow Derby? Family. Dad born and bred in Derby and although I was born in London was taken to see the Rams at a young age and it stuck.

Do you also follow a domestic team in your own country? Real Zaragoza as it was the first place I lived in when I moved to Spain. Season ticket holder for 3 years. Although I now live near Mal

My Dad took me to games as a youngster. I used to support all the big teams at one point as a kid but I was always going to turn to the Rams one day.

Do you also follow a domestic team in your own country? If not, please state why.

Not really. I follow Jaguares de Chiapes, but I don't like the Mexican League system and I live more than 1,000km from any professional team. I definitely follow the national team, as we play far better than England and we forever give youth a chance.

Mexico used to have a Premier League package where there was access on four different channels - not any more! I watch English football via the internet, CL is on the telly.

Straight split between Chivas (Guadalajara) and America (Mexico City). Cruz Azul, Pumas and Leon are also big teams.

For those that don't have a local team or any connection to one, you're naturally going to watch the bigger and better teams due to the likelihood of TV exposure. I have no problems with anyone here supporting Barcelona or Real Madrid because it's natural - even I'd go as far as saying I 'support' Barca because I can watch them on TV every week. 

It really wouldn't make sense for someone outside the UK to pick a team like Derby to follow as it would be so hard to keep up with them unless you were going to join up to forums etc. The easy option would be to follow the best teams who are guaranteed to reach out to fans across the globe.

As I have said on here before, I started following the Rams in the disastrous Premier League season.  Yes, I understand that may seem odd to some, but I really like the fans that I associated with during that time, and the passions they showed through adversity as well.  My high school and middle schools had a Ram as their mascot as well, so it all came together.  Did a work exchange with the libraries in Derby for a few years, and got to a few matches, Haven't looked back since.  :D 

Not really tbh. Of course, the MLS is the top league here in the States, but until they change some things, I just do not watch it all that often.  When I do, it is usually either Real Salt Lake or Houston Dynamo. I hope the MLS gets some more respect.

I use Rams Player for both of these and am satisfied for the most part with the live audio commentary and highlights.  A lot more matches this season have been streamed through sites such as Wiziwig, so that has been great also.  I use BBC, this forum of course,and NewsNow mainly to get Ram news.

As stated, the MLS is not as popular here as it should be.  But the main teams in in terms of supporters is easily Seattle Sounders and LA Galaxy.  Asides from the MLS, from my perspective teams like Arsenal and Spurs have the biggest following.

Imo people who can support who they want, regardless if they may never see that team in person, or is not part of their domestic league.  I love Derby, and even though I will admit it stinks a lot of the time that I cannot be  a ST holder and go to several matches a season, I am content with the way I follow them now.

Why did you decide to follow Derby?  I was born in Burton and my Dad and Grandad were both Derby fans. They started taking me along to watch games with them.  There was a bit of pressure from my Mums side of the family to support Man City but Derby won through as I had more opportunity to watch them and got hooked as a consequence.

Do you also follow a domestic team in your own country? I've watched FC Seoul regularly for the last 2 seasons and was a season ticket holder this season.  The standard of football isn't great but the atmosphere is pretty good.  I've never seen fans in any other country applaud a throw in so enthusiastically!

How easy is it for you to see matches and access highlights? It's relatively easy to be honest.  The internet speeds in Korea mean I have no major problems (occasionaly the streams get pulled mid match) streaming the games on wiziwigs or any of the other streaming channels when they are available and I'm able to access the highlights on RamsPlayers.  Failing that I can catch the brief highlights on the Football League Show. Korean TV doesn't really show the Championship highlights but all PL games and highlights are available on local TV.  Derby have been on the local channels twice in my time here, against Chelsea in the cup and the playoff final.

What football clubs do the majority of people in your country follow?  Korea has a problem attracting fans to watch their domestic league.  Seoul play in a 60,000 seater stadium and get about 20,000 along to most weekend home games.  It's not great when they are the only team in the biggest city in Korea.  If you ask most Koreans who they support their first answer will be one of the big teams from England, Spain or Italy.  Most often are Barca, Real, Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea.  If you ask them who their K-League team is the majority of people will tell you that they don't have one.  Saying that, out of the people who do watch the K League the most well followed teams are FC Seoul, Suwon Bluewings, Pohang Steelers and Jeonbuk Motors. Ulsan Hyundai also have a decent enough following.

What is your opinion on glory supporters?  I don't mind people supporting who they want to support, with so many opportunities to watch matches via TV coverage and online it is a lot easier for fans to feel an affiliation with teams that they otherwise wouldn't get the chance to see.  However, I don't agree with changing your team just because they aren't as good as they used to be, once you've made your choice you have to stick with it through thick and thin.

I am born and bred Derby, whole family follows the mighty Rams, my loyalties were never in doubt.

There are no professional teams here in Taiwan, so access to watching live sport is limited to baseball and basketball. I play for the best amateur team over here, unbeaten for about 40 matches, but that isn't saying much, as the standard is very very low. Great to still play, but gutted I can't watch more live games.

Matches can be streamed in bars, for example the play off final, i got a guy to open up the bar for me to watch it and stream it for me. I stream games at homes, but often have trouble getting decent feeds. Taiwanese TV companies are trying to broker a deal to get PL games on the box, but that won't affect me until next year...

Taiwanese people aren't interested in football at all, there are plenty of expats over here, guys on my team support fester, bristol city, liverpool, fulham etc. The Americans over here all seem to support Arsenal, which is fair enough as they get a lot more coverage.

You should always support your local team, simple!

Archived