Kwame Thomas starts for England U20

Ambitious

A strong England U20 side played Germany today, and won. The biggest shock, however, has to be Kwame Thomas in the starting line-up with Callum Robinson and Chuba Akpom - both of who are hyped as wonderkids. 

He has been picked over some fairly substantial competition, i.e. Izzy Brown, James Wilson, Adam Armstrong, Devante Cole, Adam Campbell and Mason Bennett to name a few. Yet, he hasn't been anywhere near our first-team squad - I can't be the only one that finds that strange. 

Any ideas?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A strong England U20 side played Germany today, and won. The biggest shock, however, has to be Kwame Thomas in the starting line-up with Callum Robinson and Chuba Akpom - both of who are hyped as wonderkids.

He has been picked over some fairly substantial competition, i.e. Izzy Brown, James Wilson, Adam Armstrong, Devante Cole, Adam Campbell and Mason Bennett to name a few. Yet, he hasn't been anywhere near our first-team squad - I can't be the only one that finds that strange.

Any ideas?

It was only a friendly, so maybe they thought they'd start him to see how he plays? Nothing to get too hyped up about I'm sure! David Nugent played for England once.

Do you (or anyone) know how he played?

It was only a friendly, so maybe they thought they'd start him to see how he plays? Nothing to get too hyped up about I'm sure! David Nugent played for England once.

Do you (or anyone) know how he played?

There's been so very little about the game, I almost forgot it was played. 

I wasn't over-hyping, more curious. He's one of the older U20 players too. So, if it was an experiment I would expect the younger lads to have got on. 

It just seems strange, t'is all.

Any ideas?

He played some game time last season I think against Ipswich away.

Hes only young and maybe as a central striker Martin staying fully fit has meant hes never been needed.

He certainly doesn't look as much as a unit as Martin, and to play that position, you do need to be fairly strong to hold the ball up.

I think if we're likely to see anyone from our set up likely to play that role it would be Zanzala but he's about 17/18.

He certainly doesn't look as much as a unit as Martin, and to play that position, you do need to be fairly strong to hold the ball up.

I think if we're likely to see anyone from our set up likely to play that role it would be Zanzala but he's about 17/18.

He is so young that he has time to bulk himself! Good target man rearely is under 25. Usually nearer 30, when they are at their best.

Isn't he liek 6'2 or am I imagining things?

I think hes pretty tall and muscular , not as tubby as Martin. Different sort of player obviously not as good as Martin but time still on his side. 

Seen him play on two occasions and not been impressed on either. Obviously people, who's opinion counts far more than mine,have seen something they like.

Archived